“Mark Warner 'flagship' resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Levante Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Afandou
Levante Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
London, United Kingdom
“Mark Warner 'flagship' resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Staff
The mark warner staff are lovely! namely the kids club manager, and their staff, the tennis coaches, and the cycle team are great. The general manager Sue is so lovely as is the customer service manager. If you ask them for something they will go out of their way to make it happen

Room
We had a great room although for some reason the air conditioning panel had been screwed shut so you couldn't decide what function you wanted?!
Cleaning up until 3pm which was slightly annoying if trying to put kids down for nap but if you call they will come and clean asap if they can.
I would rate cleaning 3/4 out of 5 although I have been spoilt all my life in 5 plus star hotels so for Mark Warner this is good.
Bed was comfortable. Travel cot was grubby; would advise to bring your own.
Bathroom; there was space for a full bath but only put in half baths… annoying but other than that fine. No hot water on several occasions. Floor was hard and no carpets.
Ikea/basic style furnishings.
Great black out blinds got an amazing nights sleep.

Unfortunatley people next to us smoking 24-7 on balcony so couldn't use balcony as have several young children.

Got fed up of buffet for dinner; desserts always a cream cake and fluorescent ice-cream- artificial colouring. Not fresh cream tasted like hut, and tasteless. few attempts at cakes some epic failures i.e chocolate torte; one came out chocolate set, next one put out was pool of liquid chocolate.
Dinner; good ingredients but overcooked- sword fish so tough, lamb overcooked, pasta overcooked.
Breakfast; waffles, pancakes, eggs cooked to order, beans, bacon, croissants- mini and chocolate variety, muslie, cereals, fruits and bread.
Pool Bar; chips tasted refried and chicken tasted funny. Nothing to write home about. Not keen on their 'pizza'.
Chinese; was okay, noodles appeared to be instant; sometimes hit and miss- chicken wings one day nice other day so sickly sweet :S
Even though a buffet theme every night, food was basically the same every night. Last night was expecting something a bit special but they spent more time carving watermelons than they did cooking i ate a plate of cold chips and dug leg that must have been cooked for hours- so dry. The calamri was soggy and soaked in oil- I often had heartburn from the overuse of oil. But then I didn't expect more as Mark Warner aren't known for the food.
Service at dinner; they took your plate away even before you finished your last mouthful! I found them hovering over me I didnt like it and felt smothered. I would rather be left alone to have a conversation. They ask what you want to drink before you have a chance to sit down and bring the bill for drinks with the drinks; off-putting.

Tennis
Amazing coaches, lovely and friendly, great group of people. Astro courts with sand on… bit slippery but not bad.

Watersports
Was windy; some sessions cancelled, difficult to arrange around other activities due to many private lessons taking place.

Cycling
Excellent equipment, friendly staff, great rides

Kids club
amazing and faultless. My children had an amazing time, I didn't worry about them at all, can't thank them enough. Only thing I would have liked more is that they take pictures of the kids during their time with them… I loved hearing what they did but would have preferred seeing too.

Beach
STONEY AND DULL. If you like golden white sandy beaches this is not the place for you. Its all rocky and stoney. No sugarcoating. You need beach shoes without a doubt. I didn't mind as I hate the beach :)

If they changed the chef/ improved food I would go back. I loved the childcare staff and the tennis too.

Wonder what its like when hotel is full; would be more pressure on staff etc… was quite empty when we went.

Transfer from hotel; fine; coach ride not bad its about half an hour. Small town 15 mins walk away- quite scary as no pavement and greeks drive so close to you even though they can see you pushing buggy! Worth going into town as shop on site is a RIP OFF- nappies double the price/ icecreams/ drinks/ water etc.

Washing machine and dryer on site; bit expensive at 5 euro per wash and 5 euro per dry but huge machine could split cost with others…..

NO HEATING IN OUTDOOR POOLS. FREEZING.
Indoor pool was heated and fine for swimming.

Room cleaners friendly, happy to give extra towels etc.

crickets noisy at night, sprinklers noisy at night, air-conditioning units ( outside) very noisy but can't be heard once in room.

We had a lovely time here just got fed up of the food…..would suggest going half board or if you go full board eat in chinese restaurant only. Otherwise seems like a lot to pay for food at pool bar which is not particularly nice.

Room Tip: don't get a room in main hotel- they overlook the carpark or tennis courts… and a noisy generato...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank holiday f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

It is hard to review the place because it is run by Marc Warner staff, who was great and local staff who were average (on the edge with annoying). As a couple people probably don't spend much time in their rooms.
If you have children with you you would end up spending much more time in the room. It is a family orientated 5 stars hotel. I missed a bit of personal touches and cosiness in the rooms, rugs, pictures, pen and paper etc. I must admit the beds were excellent but it was not a double bed but two single beds put together. Not great for families who shares bed with babies or toddlers risking to lose them in the middle. The size of the rooms was great, very spacious.
The food was hit and miss. I had to complain about the quality of the children buffet on the first night. The staff promised to listen to my advice and the quality of the food was OK, but no way I would expect from 5 Star hotel. The food was constantly too dry or to soggy. The quality of the juices and cereals was bad. The adults dinner were OK-ish, some dishes were great, some awful, some just tasteless and bland.
Childcare would have been great if the staff was trained enough to spot my son's dislocated elbow. Luckily I saw him crying watching the club coming back from the playground, picked my son earlier and let the nurse see him. Evening crèche is a great idea, both my children and me and my husband enjoyed our evenings, kids watching movies, us having some cocktails :-)
Sports stuff were all brilliant, very friendly, very professional. I wish I could have their jobs for a summer, ha ha :-)
All in all the holidays were perfect for us with so many things to do in the resort we didn't have time to explore the cultural side of Rhodes. It was great to see children having fun at the club too and being able to spend time doing sports as a couple. We are now hooked with Marc Warner but won't come back to this place.

Room Tip: try to get 4004 if you want Wi-Fi in your room, otherwise it is in the reception only
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This resort has only recently been opened. It is associated with the neighbouring resort that still had large areas of open building work.

We went as family of 6 to this Mark Warner resort in August 2013, 4 kids aged 8, 8, 12 & 14, having previously only been to a Mark Warner resort once 2 years ago, San Agostino

Be careful with your teenagers as it is not a long walk to the local 'town' and the shopkeepers have no qualms about selling them alcohol and tobacco. There had been a dust up with a group of young people being pursued by local Greek youths on bikes the week before

The resort - smart rooms with air con. A larger shallow pool, one modest adults pool and a bar side pool. All well maintained though the shallower was very slippery at the edges needing mats. The Canteen is much as we recall from our previous experience with loverly fresh salad & fruit bars and a selection of hot and cold foods ranging from average to good. The small taverna just beyond the main pool was a lovely spot to get away from the crowds of the main canteen.

The rooms near the adult pool seemed a good spot for getting around and avoiding some of the day long and night activities

In the first week, this large resort was heavily booked and it was clear that the hotel and MW staff were buckling under the strain

The curry house was of a fair quality - be aware that they will charge 'adult rate' for any child over the age of 10 making it a bit expensive for what is was. The view is good and again to provides a variation on cramming into the canteen

Room service wasn't so good. The glasses in the room appear to have been rinsed out in the sinks at best and it looked like the same gloves were worn for all areas of cleaning. They were also fairly uncompromising in the cleaning schedule with no clear pattern.

Sailing was a bit of a disappointment after San Ag. The wind was gusty and unpredictable. The beach side staff were very variable. It seemed clear that those with less experience were likely to hold people back, particularly in the last hour & a half. We could be told that no boats were available by the stressed younger helpers. My son was largely left abandoned getting the boat in after a blustery race

Tennis was ok - we are occasional players and I think for the more obsessive who booked in advance the rewards were greater.

Car Hire was good and efficient and would recommend a day trip to Rhodes and around the Island - we enjoyed the butterfly walk

Room Tip: Away from the main pathways to avoid listening to revelling teenaged through the night
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank helen c
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

spent 2 weeks here with my girlfriend, we don't have any kids but it looked like a good hotel for a late break. We flew with BA from Heathrow which was a good flight.The hotel is only a couple of years old and we were in a room overlooking the adult pool, the room was spacious and clean with a useable balcony. There was a good range of food in the restaurant (buffet) every night and the breakfast was extensive and good. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. If you have kids they seem to be well catered for and have loads of activities for them. There are plenty of boats and water sports kit on the beach which is all included and includes some basic instruction, there are also plenty of staff in speed boats to assist you if you get into any difficulties. We used the spa for massages the staff were great and very professional .There's a small 'town' a 15 minute walk away but we'd recommend hgiring a car for a few days and getting out and about if you can. You can hire a car at the hotel. The hotel is 5 star for that read good uk 4 star. The only negative thing was the curry we had in the Pan-Asian restaurant, coming from Birmingham i know a good curry and that wasn't one! we were very disappointed by it and it wasn't cheap so avoid it if you like proper curry! Overall we had a great time here and would definately return.

Room Tip: if you do not have kids ask for a room by the adults pool or by the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JonJ785
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Overall had a good holiday. Room was modern, clean, spacious and had a comfy bed. Food was very average across all the restaurants, I struggled for what to eat on a couple of nights despite their being a wide selection it wasn't very appetising, which was disappointing as we had expected more from the flagship new resort. Less choices of higher quality would have been better. Also they only serve local wine which from our experience was terrible! There is however a lovely Greek taverna overlooking the bay in the nearby village so on a couple of occasions we hired the hotel bikes and had lunch there or grabbed gyros in town - both of which were much better options than staying in.

The windsurfing team were very attentive despite it getting towards the end of the season (early October) . Wind conditions were poor no wind at the start of the week and red flags towards the end! There was also no shelter from the wind when sunbathing which needs to be addressed for the cooler months. The benefit of being on Rhodes is there are plenty of places to visit and both the capital and Lindos were great days out - a public bus for a few euros stops right outside the next hotel.

Spa was disappointing a male guy who looked like he had just walked off the street did it, in the end I stopped the guy before the hour was up. After complaining to Mark Warner it was interesting to note the spa and hair services were separate and locally run not like on Nielson where they have properly trained staff who they control.

Tennis facilities were excellent with a great bar area for watching games from. Gym was ok but not all the equipment seemed to work very well!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beckie08
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was the first package holiday I'd been on in 20 years and so I was rather nervous but I was so so glad we did! We wondered why we'd been renting villas and just taking the exhausting whole routine of cooking and childcare to somewhere in the sun.... this place was such a breath of fresh air and I genuinely felt I had the first break ever since having our kids

I was worried about the place being over run with kids and yes it kind of was (this was during August) but they were all either with their parents or being occupied in the kids clubs so it wasn't an issue, and there's a lovely adult only pool so if you want to be quiet and read a book then you definitely aren't going to be disturbed (except when aqua aerobics takes place there!).

The kids club and creche were amazing. This place was only built a year before we went so everything is new new new and really well chosen too. The toys are top notch (not cheap rubbish but really decent quality that will last). Our youngest had never been left in childcare before and was a bit nervous but when i went round the corner and peeped through the window I could see she had already settled down in the time it took me to get round. The nannys are really good, Mark Warner clearly take their childcare recruitment seriously. I was so impressed that they got to do so much, my three year old even had a go on a windsurfer and went out sailing!

The evening childcare was great too. The creche had cots with black out blinds and the younger children each had little pack away beds in the room so that if they got sleepy whilst watching the film they could get into bed, otherwise they were all put into bed at the end of the film.

There was no Mark Warner blurb in the room - I think this is a bit of a let down and I would have liked a small photocopied information pack rather than have to always go down to look in reception. I ended up taking photos of the notices on my iphone so that we could refer to the info when we wanted. I now have these pics so have uploaded them so you can get an idea of whats on.

We had a junior suite with a huge sliding door to separate the living room area where the children slept, from our room. This worked brilliantly.

Hotel staff were great. The room had nothing to stop the toddler from opening the door going out into the hallway but as soon as we reported this the maintenance man came and installed a chain lock.

We got a little bored with the food over the week and would say after 10 days you would be ready for something different. We did get a babysitter and go into town one night which was a pleasant change. We went to the Asian restaurant and it was ok but wouldn't rave about it as some reviews have. The greek taverna (the pool bar by night) was fabulous though, we went twice.

The fact there were 4 pools made enough variety that in a week you don't get bored. However we snuck through to the resort next door a few times too and no one batted an eyelid. They have a fabulous pirate ship kids pool there. I think both hotels were supposed to be one resort once which you can tell from looking at the map pics. Randomly there was a large unfinished building between the two but I imagine this will have been completed over the winter,

I went diving with In-Depth who are a separate outfit on the resort (not part of Mark Warner). I was pretty unimpressed with the instructor who took us for a fun dive - there was no briefing for the shore dive (not even to mention the long surface swim beforehand- meaning that none of us took snorkels, not even the extremely unfit man in our group- I got the impression he was exhausted before he even started the dive! He cancelled his second dive which I thought was very telling). Equipment was top notch however and they seemed extremely busy so I think it was just that they were not coping too well with the number of students they had. It was hard to catch up with anyone and the shop was usually unmanned. It was interesting to note that our instructor/guide was rather inexperienced and was only hired to do the high season. The dive itself was nothing to write home about and was not cheap but I was happy to have gone diving all the same.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank A_30_something-mum
Hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed for one week mid September. This was our 4th MW holiday so were fully versed to the MW format. We flew from Manchester with Jet2 suffice to say a budget airline with a basic service, it got us there and back on time. Meet and greet okey and an efficient hotel reception. There was a ”briefing” at 7PM but unfortunately marred by noisy children. This disturbance could have been avoided if one of the parents removed their child and the partner remaining could note any relevant information.
There was an activities /beach brief on the following day at 1000hrs where everything was satisfactory explained. It was quite apparent that MW is geared more for the Saturday to Saturday programme and that the mid week arrivals fitted in where best!!
Beachfront well organized with sufficient well maintained equipment. The staff always there to offer help and advise if needed.
Our room was in the main building and on a top floor overlooking the front entrance. It was a good sized room with a large bathroom and there was more than sufficient storage space for clothing and articles. Housekeeping could be improved re the overall cleaning. Our bedside tables were not touched for the duration of the holiday.
We used the buffet restaurant during our stay and found the food well presented , well cooked and enough varied choices. The staff were both extremely efficient and attentive to the guests needs.
The bar in the evening was generally quite and I put this down to the cost of the drinks. However the prices compared favourably with the local tourist cafes/bars etc.
The pools are cold and with the daily “winds”,not very inviting.If I came again I will bring a wetsuit. The beach was great for launching but not what I would call a nice beach and cannot be compared in anyway to a beach in the Caribbean. There are walks to be had in either direction and I would recommend one to the right through the adjoining beach resorts to the end of the beach and up the hill.
To sum up , most certainly not a 5 star hotel . The construction typical of that part of the world all concrete and steel and we found it a little soul less and bland. Given time it may develop a “character”. Expected young children but not in the numbers that were there during our week but fortunately did not present a problem although there was a danger of tripping over a pushchair.
We paid £580 each for the weeks stay and I consider that a top price for this holiday. Do people really pay the brochure price? At the same time a weeks holiday all inclusive was available at the Sea Garden Resort in Turkey at cheaper price . We stayed there last September and I consider that it offers far more than Levante except for the small beach front.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sundowner43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
#2 of 33 in Lindos
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,189 reviews
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Levante Beach Resort? Share your experiences!