“2* Hotel with 5* Character”
Review of Golden Days Hotel

and 1 more site!
Golden Days Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Belfast, United Kingdom
“2* Hotel with 5* Character”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Just had the best two week holiday ever in the Greek Islands. We have been visiting the Greek Islands over the last 25 years and this one was absoluely fantastic. The hotel itself isn't the Ritz but its clean, tidy and has atmosphere and character. The other guests made us feel most welcome and had great nights chilling and enjoying the craic. The hotel food was good, breakfast was spot on, I got what I ordered and served prompt. This is situated in a working village and the beach is some 15 minute walk away which is just nice. Yani, Maria and George work hard to keep things running smooth and I can see why people return year after year. George keeps the jokes and entertainment flowing. The pool was good and the garden was always avalable. For those who left negative reviews they probably didn't take part in anything but expected everything done for them. Local buses are close by to take you to Rhodes, Falaraki etc, there is a large local supermarket and fantastic places to eat close by. We chose the Four Seasons as our favourite resturaunt. Would I go back next year? A BIG YES.

Room Tip: Top Floor rooms were good
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

a really basic hotel, it boasts 2 stars, and it might just be that, but only might. its friendly, and clean, as most of the other reviews state, and I suppose that's all you really need.
however, its in a small village, and I guess at least 60% of the shops, restaurants and bars are shut. and this was end of July, ( high season ) its one hell of a hike to the beach, which is all sharp stones, and not worth the walk, handy for buses to Falaraki, and rhodes, ( buses run about one an hour )

6 Thank magicgeorge
wales
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Just got back from a week in golden days basic hotel but very friendly a lovely little village a few restaurants and bars Four Seasons lovely food quite reasonable also mimis is cheap, expensive bar on beach but if you go further along a cheap hotdog van selling allsorts a supermarket rite next door 2 hotel they try very hard in the hotel 2 keep u entertained had a good laugh take mosquito spray with you cause theres loads of them about got bite galore because its in the euro it is quite expensive I paid 7euros 4 fishfingers and chips £7! that was down on the beach the beach is very pebbley so be prepared a lot of different beaches around the area boiling hot nice pool would recommend the hotel but its just basic 2stars but did us ok ..

Room Tip: front facing on second floor or away from bar area abit noisy at nite .
1 Thank stephanie b
Oxford
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here in June for a week and had a brilliant time. George, Yannis and Maria were excellent hosts. They were helpful and chatty but not overbearing. they really made us relaxed. George in particulr really added to our say by being great fun and organising some great nights. The hotel itself was modest but comfortable and spotless and in a great location between the beach and the town. Afando has a good selection of bars and restaurants and good bus connections to Rhodes town. Couldnt fault a thing, would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The hotel was a basic, budget hotel - acceptable for the cost. Although the bed was broken (slats underneath gave way and had evidently been repaired often) room was cleaned/towels replaced daily. George was very entertaining for those desiring karaoke and bingo and was friendly to all guests whether participating or not. Managers Yianni and Maria seemed approachable and helpful, but there was an incident where Maria could have dealt with a situation more professionally. There was a public shower available for use by guests on night flights as an alternative to keeping a room for up to 30 euros. I made use of this facility as it was empty, but unbeknown to me, a guest had reserved the shower room for that particular 'timeslot'. Justifiably, the guest complained to management, so Maria came and banged on the shower door whilst I was using it. She berated me publicly (possibly for the benefit of the aggrieved guest) and refused to accept that I had no knowledge of this 'booking system'. She insisted there was a notice in reception (amongst a plethora of other hotel regulations) and said (quote) “Oh, come on, you must have seen it!” etc. basically calling me a liar and being confrontational towards me. I apologised profusely to both her and the guest, but she was still unnecessarily aggressive. I was very upset and checked again in reception and the foyer but there was no reference anywhere to use of showers. A little later that evening, I passed the reception desk and saw a notice re showering on the computer printer tray. I daresay it has appeared on subsequent flight days, but I had been made to feel as if I had deliberately abused the system - when there wasn't even one in place! I do agree if the hotel is very busy - which it wasn't that day - it would be sensible to book time slots, however this must be administered effectively and the information made available to all. BEWARE OF DISOBEYING THE RULES! Having travelled the Greek islands, Afandou is not the traditional village we expected, traffic horrendous, rather dilapidated, but friendly enough in bars and eateries. Half hour trek to beach pleasant enough if you don't mind pebbly beaches and rough sea, if lucky enough Dotto type train is available even if the timetable isn't! GREAT beach bar!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie M
Birmingham
Reviewed 26 July 2013

First off I have to say, if you are booking 2 star hotel, that is what you will get... If you want more ...book a 5 star...simple!!

This was our first visit to this hotel and I have to say...it was fantastic! Yiannis and Maria pride themselves of making sure their guests are happy. We came down to reception each morning to a warm welcome and just a 10 min wait for a tasty, fresh breakfast. In fact, we ate many meals there and never once had a bad one. The food was good and reasonably priced.

We had some great nights at this hotel, George makes sure everyone has a good laugh and he keeps the guests entertained with his joke of the day...'wasn't me!'.

Yes the bathrooms are small and the shower is very small- but it is a 2 star and you get what you pay for. We are guilty of sitting around the pool during the day ( when other people pay for my holiday they can then have an opinion on what I do ) but we also visited Other places and different bars during our stay.

We met some really nice people and were made to feel very welcomed. I can understand why people return year after year!

Yianny - can we have ... Errrr 3 Bacon 3 toast and scrambled egg please
George - Jameson with coke and white wine please
Maria - you should of pushed Richard in the pool!!! Please

Joan & rich

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MrsTomfoolery
Liverpool
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was our 9th visit to the Golden Days. Why do we go back - well, we love the people there, we see old friends, the hotel has all you need, the village is good... above all we have a good holiday!! I wrote last year that more improvements had been made - this year it was even better - a new menu (lots of really good fresh Greek and other food), new hot water system : Yiannis and Maria have worked hard to get things even better.
There is good entertainment if you want it - Monday karaoke is great, and the new local guy who runs it is a ball of energy - rrrooooccckk!!! There is also a quiz and bingo on a couple of nights. George keeps everybody happy and always has time to stop for a chat at tables or at the bar, usually followed by lots of laughter. Just a point on a negative review below - nobody makes people go to the karaoke or quiz - they want to go, and as for people who like staying by the pool and drinking beer - well I'm guilty - what is a holiday for - you do what you want to do.
Afandou village is good with many tavernas and bars, always welcoming. It is also a good base to get to Faliraki and Rhodes town as there is a bus stop in the square; (like the other people drinking beer near the pool we also went out !!).
There is always a good friendly atmosphere at the Golden Days. But if you just want time to yourself then it's a good place for that too. In summary - a clean, friendly hotel - great food and good company .We have one main holiday a year and we choose to take it in this lovely place. Ian and Linz x

Room Tip: Personal choice really - I like a ground floor overlooking the pool, at the back you have a view ove...
5 Thank Rhodoslover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Afandou Sky Hotel
#6 of 15 in Lardos
Garden Hotel
Garden Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pastida

Been to Golden Days Hotel? Share your experiences!