“Worst 3 days of my life”
Review of Golf View Hotel

and 1 more site!
Golf View Hotel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Worst 3 days of my life”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My fiance and I booked to stay at this hotel for 10 days last May. We admitted defeat and left after 3. I hate complaining with a passion and I am in no means a fussy person but to put it in the nicest terms; I would not wish this hotel stay on my worst enemy. Here is why:

When we arrived we waited 1 hour for our room to be ready. In this time we had to suffer super loud trance music and dehydration (the hotel the staff couldn't locate the key for the fridge with bottled water in).

We finally got to our delightfully clean (not) room (still no water). I decided to take a bath to cool off. Couldn't find a plug anywere. Back to reception I went. A request for a plug proved to be a massive inconvienience to staff. Finally got the plug after 30 minutes (oh and got some bottled water at this point too!) started running the tap - brown dirty water. Nice.

So no bath. I had a trickle of a shower instead.

Next my fiance thought it best to put the air con on seens it was getting pretty hot (probably by my fumming mood). Oh wait - it doesn't work ....... yep you have to pay a couple of quid a day for that luxury - convieniently forgotten in the hotel descripton hey.

Soooo now were are desperate to get out of this place and look about - we get a rucksack together check eveything is locked secure in our bags etc. Lock our room .......mmm the door doesn't lock. Lets try they again... nope still doesnt lock.

Back to reception we go. If i thought i was an inconvienience before, well this time I have over stepped the mark. The door does not lock? Recepetionist looks at us with distain and goes to try and lock it herself. What ?!!? It doesnt lock for you either? WOW thanks for the confidence boost in our intelligence!

What to do now.....Well surely they will move us? mmmm some looong discussion goes on in the back room. What ..Wait ! They are too kind!!!! They are gonna give in and move us...but wait... we are going out now and we cant move rooms for another 3 hours!! Whhhhaaat. Someone please come out with a tv camera now and tell me this is a joke. Nope, this doesn't happen.

My poor fiance ( after dealing with me for most of the day in these conditions I don't envy him) decides that maybe we should jusk ask to store our suitcases and passports etc behind reception whilst we go out and kill time for 3 hours. That way we wont have to wait about in this nightmare hotel. Surely this will be understandable.

Instead we are told that we will have to PAY for safe to store our belongings (baring in mind the fact that the only place we can currently store them is in an unlocked room). At this point I am utterly speechless.

So yeah thats the general jist of our holiday we saved ages for.. .over the next few days we came across the only pool in the hotel that had no water in it, the 'building site' of the sun bathing and kids area, the actual real building site out the front of the hotel and of course the best prison food one can imagine.

Please, Please I beg you do not go. We left after 3 days. Most of our time was spent on the phone to the very unhelpful and at times down right rude easyjet holiday people (i came home to an £100 phone bill). We had to pay to get our flights home but were refunded after lots and lots of persistant hassling and threatening to go to the media (which took up most of my booked leave wating on false call backs etc etc.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank helen P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Where do I start! Went to this hotel 6-13th October 2012 - 2 mid twenty females...WOULD NOT RECOMMEND...WILL BE CHEAP HOLIDAY BUT SOO NOT WORTH IT...PAY MORE AND STAY ANYWHERE ELSE BUT HEAR! been on 3 star hotel all inc before and well this is not worthy of 1 star!!!
Check in: Receptionist who doesnt understand a word of English was asleep when we arrive, when we woke him we realised he was drunk! Me and my friend arrived with another guy (from the same flight) the receptionist checked us in the wrong room after handing us a card with the other guy's name on and us telling him that this is not us and pointing at the guy standing next to us! He wouldnt listen to us and persisted to check us into the wrong room....we were in the room for 10 minutes before he bashed on the door saying 'come, come!' We knew we were int he wrong room but he wasnt having any of it!

Pool: was absolutly discusting, couldnt swim in it as it had green grimey stuff in there and we were advised from other people staying at the hotel that others had swam in the week and we very ill from it! NO pool! Very hott week!
Cats: Stray cats in and out of the hotel....I'm a animal lover but when your eating and stray cats trying to jump up on you is not good...
Food! Where do I start - well there was no chef to start with! We were told the actual chef walked out the week before we arrived due to not being paid! So the reception/bar staff and cleaners were the chef's! The food was absolutly discusting....even the salad was awful....4 days old brown and soggy! Mostly the food was left overs from a couple days before.....breakfast if you wanted toast you would have to electricute yourself as the toasters handle was broken to you had to stand there and hold it down and occassioanlly get an electric shock....i lived off toast as nothing else took my fancy! Nothing fresh! We ended up going out most of the time....
Staff: oh dear how long have I got...well firstly I will say...thank god for Danielle and Hayley (who have left now) 2 english girls behind the bar were lovely and the only good thing about the hotel...however the owner of the hotel bought in a prositute....yes we saw it with our own eyes! Ive already said about the receptionist and the daughter of the manager....god awful...she is very very rude!!! We had food stolen from our fridge in the room....told the daughter and she called us liers.....she walks around with a looking miserable and if you asked for anything it was far too much hassle and the problem was she was running the place most of the time....
Hot water when having a shower would have been nice.....complained every day but unfortunatly the 'miserable daughter' dismissed us and said its broken and theres nothing she can do about it!!! We made several complaints about this hotel to the Olympic rep and mainly about the hot water..he would go and sort it out and they would turn the water on but as soon as he left they would switch it off...but would alway say to us its broken...funny how it was on when the rep was there and not when he left!
The hotel is situated infront of a very loud building site.....dont expect to sleep in after 7am cause that when the worker start!
The problem was we went out of season and the hotel and staff had given up on the hotel and didnt want to fix/pay/clean or look after the hotel......would never go back to this hotel....wouldnt even let an animal stay here!!! PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY...YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

Room Tip: Avoid front of hotel as there is a building site at front...but wouldnt recommend anywhere in this h...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zoe M

Travellers are raving about these Afandou hotels

plymouth
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Looking for a golfing bargain.I booked 'deal of the day' online.17Oct-31.Oct.(last 2wks.of season)
A Cosmos holiday,good time flights, 2wks.AI. Great price £409.Four of us were travelling,the men keen golfers,plus,2 anniversaries & a 65th. birthday.
On arrival,pleased with the room,nice balcony,overlooking the golf course,in the distance,the temp.88f. good start.
First disappointment,the free shuttle to & thro the beach,which passes the golf course had stopped running.It was a hard going 25min.walk now, in that heat.
The men decided to play golf (as they took their own clubs) a championship course was advertised,what!!!! I'm not a golfer, but even I could see it was way below par!!!!, They had to pay €10 taxi,plus,€35 to play,it was never worth it,but they did play 3 times as they paid to take the clubs,but,wished they hadn't gone to the expence.
Meanwhile,myself & friend decided we would enjoy the sunshine in the hotel pool area. Mmm! it was so unkempt,six mattresses only for the sunbeds,which were uncomfortable without, the pool was cloudy,not inviting at all, & cats everywhere. But,so what, the suns out.
It went down hill really, from then on,the shower was tepid,thats ok. Then one night stone cold,every one was up in arms about it.Turns out the heating system was faulty,so it was turned on morning & night for a couple of hours,but it was not vented properly,the fumes were too bad to sit outside,we always knew when the water was heating up, the water was hotter, now though!
I'm not a fussy eater,but,there was not any choice really,& never any snacks.We dipped out because it was the last 2wks.the owners were just not going to spend any money.No duty of care.The last group of people to arrive for the final week,didn't know what they had come to,we did find it amusing,watching them look at the food, the breakfast juices had run out same as the butter,so only margarine, the guy doing the cooking,would fry us a egg,while we held the knob on the toaster down,as it wouldn't work else.No way was he a chief, probably did his best, friendly enough! One morning cake appeared for breakfast,the cleaner had made it.
Meanwhile, the white wine (which was never chilled) ran out, & we were told it wasn't going to be replaced,the wine was the best drink.There was never ice,they couldn't have had a freezer,used a damaged cool box,for in-brought ice,which ofcourse melted in no time.
Felt sorry for a young couple that wanted to play tennis,which was advertised when they booked, needless to say the court was unusable,the staff didn't even know there was a tennis court or roof garden.
There was never any entertainment,which was again advertised,you were made to feel as if you were a hinderence at times.Luckily for us we were with good company,& just saw the funny side of it. But,we hired a car to get away,which was great,found some nice beaches,taverna's & Lidl's to get our own supplie. Rhodes town is lovely,so is Lindos,we went all over the island & had a good time & plenty of laughs.Enjoyed Afondou village at night also. BUT, not all were so lucky,without a car,it would have been a different story.I think this hotel could be 3*,but, it was definitely not while we were there.
One thing that I thought really cheeky, people would leave books behind,& if you wanted a book,they charged €3 or, if you swopped, €1.It was a cheap holiday,we wouldn't go again.

Room Tip: don't go at end of season,hire a car.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank youngandsixty
Sheffield
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Me and two of my friends went to this hotel in August on a last minute getaway. At first we were unsure but we had a great time :) The hotel was good value for money and not far from Falleraki, go with an open mind but overall it is a lovely family run hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank BlueberryKM
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We booked with a budget on-line company and went all-inclusive. The room was not bad although the hot water was non-existant despite various people complaining. After several days the water was put on for short periods but still not good. The linen was clean and the towels were changed each day but were hard. The drink was very low alchohol but the two english sisters serving behind the bar were very friendly and always served with a smile! The food was low standard but there was always plenty. The english breakfast was fake bacon and hot dog style sausages though! The local beach is shingle so take a towel and shoes. At the end of the week I was smothered in bites although I think they were mossys so I can't really blame the hotel for that. At the start of the week the pool went very cloudy but after complaints to the Olympic rep the pool was looked at and by the end of the week was looking much better. Over all if you can afford better choose somewhere else but for low cost no frills it wasn't bad.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark R
Burntwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Having read the reviews, and got a great price for 10 day all inclusive holiday (£350 each) we went with an open mind - hoping only for a clean, comfortable room with edible food. We weren't disappointed.:) What is the matter with people?? From what we gathered no one at the hotel paid much different to us on price, but most still found something to moan about. Please, if you want 5 star surroundings stop being such a tight wad and pay for them, and leave the rest of us to enjoy our holidays without listening to continual moaning!!!

The staff were friendly and helpful - especially the cooks and the girls behind the bar (Hayley & Danielle, who as they were English had to endure a lot of the moaning, although they were only employed as bar staff!!) The rooms were cleaned daily, with clean sheets and towels, the food was plentiful with variety - no, there was not pizza or spaghetti or chips daily - it was good Greek food - you are in Greece! The hot water ran out, they work on solar panels, and when it's hot is it such a problem? Having been to various Greek islands all inclusive this was the norm :) The pool did however need attention as it was getting slightly green on the tiles, but it was the end of their season, they did however try to resolve this.

I can honestly say we had a fantastic holiday with a good base, full stomach, met some great people and had fantastic weather for the time of year. Recommend visiting Lindos & Rhodes Town easily accessible by bus near the hotel. THE ONLY THING THAT SPOILT OUR HOLIDAY WAS MOANING - please if you want a 5 star hotel PAY FOR ONE!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Trudy21082374311
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We were here from 22nd September for two weeks, the weather was fabulous, the hotel however was not, the sheets and pillowcases on the bed were never ironed and the towels were old and grey and hard, this problem is easily solved new bed linen and towels would not cost a fortune and then the room would have been a lot more welcoming, nobody wants to sleep in a bed that looks like somebody has slept in it before. The food was OK, we all like Greek food and always found something to eat and the drinks were always readily available. We were there for the raw chicken night, but the next night as way of apology we were all treated to a bar-b-que night which was very good, plenty of food all cooked beautifully. The area around this hotel is well worth exploring and we all enjoyed finding our way around, Lindos, Anthony Quinn Bay, Rhodes town are well worth visiting, the Sports bar in Afandou is a good place to sit and watch the world go by. We found all the guests at this Hotel very friendly and we had a good holiday. Hot water available from eleven in morning until six at night, get your shower early.

Room Tip: Middle floor had full sized baths
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple