“Holiday from Hell”

Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Holiday from Hell”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Spent a week in the ultimate holiday hotel from hell. Could not sleep at night because of the noise from the main road and dogs barking all night wrong. We had to hold the shower head above us for the whole time we were showering. The food was absolutely horrendous, i have given better food to my dogs. There was one toaster for the 20/30 people that came at the same time for breakfast. All in all the food was disgusting, no good comments at all to make about it, thank god we took our own kettle and coffee with us, as the coffee there was like dish water. There was no entertainment, and a lack of social events. There was no television, radio or music. We would never come back again, complete waste of time and money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Mal-Toni P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Avoid this hotel like the plague it makes fawlty towers look like the hilton!

I would not feed my dog the food that was dished up at meal times all inclusive yeah right!

The barmaid was a disgrace. If you were young and attractive or showed her a bit of attention then she was your friend. If you were just an average joe bloggs then she was rude, aggressive and very disrespectful.

The owner and other members of staff spoke no english so how are you meant to communicate??

Animals roaming round the place without a care in the world cats carrying fleas, mice to name but a few things!

Wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy never mind a friend or stranger and will never return at all

9 Thank Reddevilstu

Travellers are raving about these Afandou hotels

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend came here for a week this month, i had read the reviews on here and became very worried i had made a big mistake...well i can now say it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be...we both had a lovely time away and although i wouldnt come back to this hotel the island itself is a great place.
The food in the hotel was very poor, when u pay all inclusive u expect more than 6 dishes with a wider variety!
Staff were fine...helpful and friendly!
Pool was small but not many people using it anyway so it didnt really matter..it was clean and had toys for the children.
Luckily i had read about the cockroaches that people had seen and was able to prepare myself...lol...boyfriend had to plug holes in bathroom sink and bath until we used them and covered the drain in the bathroom with towel and ended up only seeing 3 small ones outside!
Loads of stray cats coming onto the hotel grounds...drinking out of the pool!
Some of the other guest were very rude and ignorant but theres nothing u can do about that!
All in all it wasnt as bad as i had first thought but wont be returning

1 Thank xxzozoxx
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just got back from a week in Rhodes and it is true people really do make a holiday.

Weather was superb, hotel was adequate. Bar staff were brilliant, other management however so not so nice.

Food was ok, pasta, chips/potatoes and veg available at all times.

If you meet the right people there then you will have as much fun as we did

3 Thank Chel2313
Rhodes & Budapest
Reviewed 26 September 2013

If you want a low cost, clean,family friendly hotel then this is it!

A bonus is that buses to rhodes town, Faliraki, Lindos, Pefki, archangelos all stop within 5 mins walk.

BTW the hot water problem has now been fixed after expensive upgrading of the system by the new management

Afandou village is around 10/15 mins walk, when you get there ask for tasso who is a willing mine of information

Arthur & Moira

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank r4afandou
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I had our holiday in August 2013 we stay for one week at the Golf View That I'm afraid was enough.
On first appearance when we arrived on the coach the hotel looked good sat up on the hill overlooking the builders yard and the golf course and beyond that the sea. Having been dropped off at the bottom of the hill we lugged our case up the hill to the front door. the gardens were overgrown with weeds and dead plants just purely untidy. ( It dosent take much to pull weeds out and tidy a garden ) We were met in reception by the owner whom sorted us out quick enough got us to our room which had to be changed as it was a twin and wanted a double.
The room was very basic a bed two bedside tables and wardrobes all from the 1960's era. We had a fridge but once you plugged it in you couldn't watch telly which didn't work anyway. The socket was hanging out the wall. We had a balcony which over looked the builders yard, there was a path in front of our balcony which was just an access path to the roof which was covered in towels and clothing which had been blown off balcony,s above ours. There was also planters on this area which were just soil and weeds. The bathroom was a bath with no plug but a shower that was fed from the taps which you had to hold to shower with. Toilet which the seat didn't fit on and a sink pedestal that didn't hold the sink up. The rooms as you can read were basic somewhere to lay your head, they were however cleaned everyday new sheets and towels.
Food there's a laugh breakfast I had beans on toast everyday some times I had fried eggs. Meals were cheap food pasta spaghetti potatoes veg there was one form of potatoe and one veg you had no choice take it or leave it the chose was very poor for an all inclusive hotel sweets well you had a choice of watermelon and yellow jelly one day and watermelon and red jelly the next.
The pool area was small but was clean however no life guard. The garden area was beyond the pool was unkempt and the grass was long but was quiet and private. No fighting over sunbeds which there were quite a few there was a shortage of sunbed mattresses.
The reception and bar area were clean and had plenty of comfortable seating. There was also a pool table.
The bar was open from 10am everyday and you were served by either Danielle or Rachel both of whom made your presence at the bar enjoyable they knew there customers and usually had your drink waiting for you as you arrived. They are both very good at their job and were brilliant with customers. We would sit at the bar at night and have a good conversation. Both Rachel and Danielle made you feel welcome and when you first arrived would introduce you to other guests.
We went to Rhodes for a quiet break which we had and met some lovely people Janet and Roger Glen.
We were told this was a 4 star hotel by our holiday company but it is only 2. This is not the fault of the hotel but the hotel needs to do something to bring people back to it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worksopartist
Belper, Derbyshire
Reviewed 28 August 2013

On arrival I was given a piece of paper with times for breakfast dinner and tea and times of snacks. Burn this or recycle it. Timings varied by 20 minutes at least and snacks whenever they appeared. ( More on snacks later) Having asked for a quiet room I was taken off the premises and down to a building shared by locals so thought that was a plus and hoped it would be quieter than the hotel. On opening the door the cleaner who took me to my room noticed the bed had not been made and therefore bedding not changed and old towels still in room. She tried to put air conditioning on but that wouldn't work either! She left saying 'sorry.' I went back to the desk and said I needed clean bedding and towels and to be fair this was sorted by the time I got back to my room. I did have issues with massive cockroaches and despite me seeing it as important to get my room cleaned as soon as possible it was last on the route so by the time the cleaners had arrive ants were making their way into eat the cockroaches!
The pool and sunbed area is small but there never seemed an issue over getting a bed and no need for towels on sunbeds at dawn. The garden area didn't seem great, a little overgrown and untidy but was mowed while I was there. Sunbeds plastic and cheap.
Big issue for most of the guests I befriended was food. I think most found it edible, though some guests went out for meals despite being all-inclusive tells you a little about the food. The problem was choice and its limits. It made guests smile when people new to the hotel read the menu. It was chips, spaghetti/pasta dish and a meat dish plus some veg every night. I always want a bit of a light lunch and looked forward to a good salad but even this choice was limited. For example you could have lettuce with peppers, onions, tomatoes and cucumber in it and then in separate bowls you could have peppers, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers!! We even asked the chef for some more Greek food and did get moussaka one night! We, the guests, even made getting food easier by moving the fridge used for serving cold foods as there was a bottle neck every meal time as people had to walk past queuing people to get a plate to join the queue again!! Madness!!
Snacks were a source of great humour among guests. I stayed at the Iris Hotel 2 years ago ( I'd recommend it above this one) and we had cakes and biscuits for snacks and my son had an ice cream. We were served the hardest cobs known to humankind. In fact I threw one at a fellow guest and he almost failed to make it through the night!
Lots of reviews have mentioned Rachel and Danielle the girls running the bar. I'm sure Rachel will agree shes a little like marmite-you either love her or hate her. I got on well with her and she knows her guests well and will often have your drink ready as you arrive at the bar. She has a very poor taste of music but she is really a rough diamond who may swear a little too much but she made me feel very welcome. Danielle is very similar but late mornings out in Faliraki often lead to seeing her at breakfast asleep on the sofas!! Honestly!!
Small improvements are needed to make the hotel better. Food choice needs improving as a must, too little choice. Like most hotels though fellow guests and dare I say friends help you through these issues with good humour. I couldn't really recommend as I've already stayed in a better hotel just down the road. Though when you weigh up the cost of £19 a night I paid, it does almost sound like value for money! Cheap it is and as others have said you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo