Golf View Hotel
Iris Hotel(Afandou)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not as advertised ...AI it is not !!! 10 am u are ordered our if the dining area even if u are just finishing your coffee !!! 11am-5pm soft drinks or tea / coffee 5pm- 9.55pm beer / wine/ vodka/ ouzo soft drinks nothing else ... Beer regularly ran out ... 10pm lights out doors shut and locked u then need to walk in the dark to front if hotel to get in ... No paying for drinks u go to ur room or u go out no other options...Pool was never cleaned ... Light hanging out as u enter pool from the shallow end ( kids fault the splashed near it) ... ... A hole in baby's part of the pool ... Play area is waste ground with debris of a slide ( death trap ) tennis court .... Looks like a prisoner of war camp enclosure covered in rocks and general fencing and building waste ...no entertainment or even music ... No bus to beach ... Any complaint is met with abuse and intimidation ...how is this place still available on Thomas cook .... I have done budget ( see my other reviews) I am not hard to please but this really was the worst experience of my life !!!

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank rie1968
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Just home following a week at golf view and need a holiday to get over it.
I paid 50 euro for air con in the room (website states this is free in july and august ) sadly our air con let little more air out than a fairies fart and I spent my nights on the balcony watching the busy bypass as it was far too hot to sleep. It seems other people had working air con so I presume we just got unlucky and terrified to address this with the manager for fear of being screamed at or thrown on to the street , we simply put up with it.
There was no free bus to the beach, no free wi fi, the children's play area was now dismantled and thrown onto waste land at the back of the hotel .
The pool wasn't cleaned in the week we were there and there was rubble and tissues floating in the water. There was a broken light hanging from it's support in yhe children's area, when asked about this, the manager's wife said it was the children sploshing that caused the breakage !! There were broken tiles around the pool and missing tiles in the children's section of the pool.
On arrival in the early hours we had no food or even water offered to us, even though we had missed a day's all inclusive with such a late arrival.
The food was basic bog standard fodder but lack of any desert or icecream for the children was very disappointing, the only sweet was jam at breakfast or water melon (I will scream if I see another watermelon) .
We were shocked and really annoyed to realise that the all inclusive bar was not from 11 to 11 as we paid and booked for , any alcoholic drinks were from 5 til 10 at which time the poor bar staff would hover over you, remove your glasses and would switch out all lights and lock you outside, 10pm !!!!! It was like a less glamorous stay at the betty ford clinic !!!, we would then have to shamefully walk round the side of the building in the dark to get back in and go to our rooms.
There was no greek night as advertised, not even music by the pool in the daytime.
Although I spent most nights crying on the balcony from tiredness and boredom we did meet some lovely friends and a kind of "wartime spirit" kicked in and we would laugh somewhat manically at our situation.
I think the manager is extremely stressed and am unsure as to whether the decisions made are his or from above but when you have saved for a holiday and do not recieve what it says on the tin, you feel very let down and short-changed.

• Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank wildfairy
Reviewed 1 August 2014

obnoxious little manager
upon arrival no welcome, no food
no outside lighting on steep slope at the entrance to the hotel
no tennis courts/nets/balls/rackets
no shuttle to beach
no hot water mornings or evening
shouting at you to abandon your food and vacate restaurant area
all food very brown in colour and no labels to state what you were eating
bar closed at 10pm doors and lights out whether finished or not
broken tiles and lights in and around s/pool
the only good point is that the hotel very clean throughout. NOT RECOMMEMED.

Room Tip: A/C expensive 50 euros per week
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank LorraineGunn
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Unfortunately I was transferred to this hotel as my original hotel was over booked. On arrival the manager glared at me and said "I have problem with you". During my week here I felt as if I was an Inconvenience the whole time. Any good reviews for this hotel must surely pre-date the current management who were very rude and unpleasant throughout my stay.

The atmosphere in the hotel was so bad I went out everyday and returned early evening. The hotel is isolated on the village perimeter above a builders yard and a busy dual carriageway. Afandou village centre and the beach are both a 25 minute walk away. On a positive note the bus stop to Rhodes Town and Lindos is at the bottom of the hotel drive.

Throughout my stay I had to shower and wash my hair with cold water everyday as hot water was only available for a few hours in the afternoon. When hot water was available I couldn't use this as the cold tap didn't work in the bath/shower. The management and staff just shrugged their shoulders and said 15 minutes when I asked about this. My room towels were changed once during the week but my bed sheets were never changed during the entire week.

The grass around the pool area was overgrown and the dining tables around the pool all featured a dead plant in a pot - nice touch! The tennis court appeared to be derelict.

I didn't meet anyone during my stay who had anything good to say about this hotel. Rhodes is a beautiful island and there is plenty to do but believe the reviews and keep away from this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Bagless2u
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived early hours of the morning of the 17th. The manager certainly was not a happy soul. No eye contact let alone a welcome. We were shown to our room by another nice young man ( he walked out 2 days later). Room was clean and comfortable. That was the only good thing about the hotel. In the morning we went for breakfast. I have been to Greece many times and know it's basic but this took the biscuit ( the wasn't any of those either). The food was inedible except for bread and jam. The milk was made from powder and hot water and grey. We tried to make the best of it and whilst eating another man asked the manager why it wasn't all inclusive from 11-11 as that's what he, as us had booked. The manager bellowed at him in front of the other guests"management decision. If you don't like it leave!!" This man should not be in the hotel business. He slept on the sofa in reception every night and walked around like he was spoiling for a fight. He threw out other guests, was abusive to his staff, I have never seen anything like this in over 20 years of travelling. This hotel should not be marketed to the British people. Its a total sham. Please beg, borrow or steal the extra money and stay elsewhere. The Georgia Hotel across the road was a lifesaver and we spent the majority of time there. AVOID FOR YOUR OWN SAKE!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple