“Good family run Greek hotel...”
Review of Rodos Star Hotel

Rodos Star Hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
“Good family run Greek hotel...”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We have had lovely holiday at this hotel.on the cost it is great value for money..food-I'm a fussy veggie..no sign of bugs etc as stated previously..food areas are clean, food was a good ,and staff can't do enough for you.hill is steep but views are beautiful..village people are lovely..quiet village but buses run regularly and are cheap. Taxi available from town to hotel if walk up too much. Beach pebbly need those beach shoes, but it is a very quiet peaceful place to be. I didn't like my first room changed to a beautiful room, towels changed regularly and sheets..it's not staff fault if some people can't control themselves with all inclusive! We saw no problems at all, small hotel and guests got on really well , thoroughly enjoyed staying here and would definitely return. Food on the whole good, cleanliness average, staff fab, pool area could do with being cleaner but didn't stop anyone sunbathing..pool clean. Location for views beautiful, if your fit walk if not taxi. Compared to what I've paid in past
For b&b in Greece this is great value for money..lots of guests go back time and again .

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank maggieleadbeater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Arrived 18th September feeling extremely concerned/ worried about the negative comments about this Hotel!
On entering the third floor bedroom all my worries disappeared. I can only agree with the vast majority of good comments given.
Thassos is certainly not a "perv", he is typical Greek - very friendly and always wanting to help, which makes me think most of the bad comments may be from 1st time holiday makers to Greece
e.g. We wanted a lie in one morning and asked did he have a "do not disturb" sign. No problem, he walked away and within 2 minutes he returned with the above sign. Another evening we were joking with him about not being enough Feta cheese, his reply "Not a problem, Just ask for more" which I did, the chef's reply "Of course, please wait one moment" He returned with a large bowl full.Bearing in mind there are only 44 rooms, the food was good and well prepared.
My wife and I are both 65 and really enjoyed our stay at the Rodos Star and after reading the bad comments I felt I had to reply.
The only downfall was the "HILL", yes it is steep and at 65 years of age we managed, just took our time.
Read the above average to excellent for a true picture of this Hotel.

3 Thank GJP2013
west yorkshire
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I arrived at the rodos star on 28th August for a 2 week holiday having read all of the positive reviews, what a waste of money!
Firstly, there are 44 rooms and 2 cleaners they don't clean anything all they do is change your towels, mop your bathroom floor and give you a bath mat. They make your bed so it looks like you have fresh bedding but when you have the same mark on your bed for about a week you know they aren't fresh sheets (I had to strip the bed myself to have clean sheets). Fair enough the bathrooms are getting re done next year but surely the cleaners can still get a bottle of bleach and clean all the shampoo and dirt marks left from other people?! If you want a bit of a lie in from the night before you have no chance the cleaners were knocking on our door about 7.30-8am and just walked in..the room next door had to make their own 'do not disturb sign'.
The staff here are nice including the waitresses and the bar men.

Breakfast at the hotel was probably the best meal of the day although they could cover up the cornflakes and biscuits when they put them out the night before instead they just leave them for the flys to have a feast.

Lunch was ok until my fiancé ate the gyros and then had food poisoning, was violently sick and had to stay in the room for 5 days of our holiday. The reason I know it was the gyros is because I didn't have any thay day and the next day I saw the chef bring the meat out on the stick (already cooked from the day before not covered up, smoking his head off) and re heat the meat putting a raw slab of meat on top of this and cooking it. Once the meat was shaved off it was put in pittas with salad, put in the oven to keep warm then into the fridge straight from the oven!! I couldn't believe what I saw..this place will get shut down if environmental health find out!

Dinner was awful apart from the salad and the soup, there wasn't much to choose from and the meats were all fatty. My fiancé asked the chef what flavour soup it was and he didn't have a clue and looked at someone else who said minestrone...it was mushroom!

The swimming pool was a lovely size and plenty of beds but was disgusting when you got in the pool, I saw lots of people slipping as the bottom was obviously full of suncream and scum and we only saw it get cleaned (with a net) on the second week, they need to clean it properly! On a couple of occasions I saw a man tipping chemicals into the grates of the pool whilst children were swimming in it.

how can the chef get away with smoking in the kitchen whilst cooking and cooking raw meat on top of cooked meat?!

What a waste of money..never again!

• Stayed September 2013
9 Thank laura725555
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at the Rodos Star Hotel, Afandou from 4th - 18th September - we being Jonathan and Daphne, this is our third stay and it was like coming home as we have always been treated like members of their own family and the welcome is always wonderful. We can't speak highly enough of Tassos - he is a genuine Greek person and he is a very attentive, he always makes a point of talking to each and every one of his guests at some point or other during the day and checking that everything is OK for them, and he is also a very entertaining man, and tries to keep everyone happy but there is always going to be the odd one that has their wires crossed and makes something out of nothing. Moschoyla who is Tassos' sister looks after Reception and will do anything in her power to make sure that your holiday runs smoothly and she always assists with any phone calls or paperwork that needs to be sorted out. Moschoyla is a very sweet natured lady and has a very kind heart. Nicholas junior (Tassos' son) is a credit to Tassos and looked after Reception when he could. The final family member is Nicholas senor - Papa - he is a wonderful character and joins in with all that goes on at the hotel, including the Greek nights where he often dances for everyones entertainment. He is a very dear man to us

Also the staff are such a wonderful group of people, Mimi and Maria the waitresses certainly work very hard, Adi and Nick at the bar, not to forget Alin the cook and his staff in the kitchen who always prepared the varied meals every breakfast, lunchtime and dinner, there is always something there for everyone - you would never starve! Also a mention is needed for Ceva and Anna the cleaning ladies, who amazingly remember us each time we have visited the hotel.

We can only agree with Mark B from Norwich all his comments in that this is a typically Greek Hotel with all the bonuses of being run by a family which makes the whole experience even more special - you wouldn't get that sort of a greeting in a huge 5 Star hotel where you would just be a name on a register and no one would recognise you from one day to the next.

We did notice on leaving for the airport the fact that there were so many people giving us a wonderful send off and when we picked up other passengers on our coach from the larger hotels, they were standing outside the hotel on their own and there was no one there to give them a send off - not even any friends they may have made during their holiday (if indeed they had!!) - we count ourselves lucky that we had such a good time at the Rodos Star and made friends with so many like-minded people.

Of the friends we would like to mention are Bruce and Jillian, Richard and Debbie, and last but not least Mark and Moira - we had a great time with you all - we will be back again to the Rodos Star and only feel sorry for anyone who believes the negative rubbish that is written about this hotel - GO THERE - DON'T NITPICK - ENJOY!

Room Tip: Perhaps choose a second/third floor room.
7 Thank Daphne99
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have arrived home this morning after an amazing week at the Rodos Star. I couldn't wait to get on here to add my review and I absolutely cannot believe some of the poor reviews that other guests have written!! The food is amazing. I am quite a fussy eater but I thought that there was a great selection each day, all of which was beautifully cooked. The fish was particularly yummy! Yes, the food is at set times, 7.30am to 9.30am for breakfast, 12.30pm - 2.30pm for lunch and 7.30pm - 9.30pm for dinner, but we didn't find the need to have more food / snacks outside of this! These times are clearly stated in the brochure when you book, so if you want to eat all day, then find a hotel that offers 24 hour all inclusive and pay a much higher price for it!! The food was not repetitive at all. They had different dishes every single day to suit all tastes, so I really cant understand some of these comments. Drinks - There was a selection of about 6 different cocktails, beer, wine, local spirits, soft drinks etc as part of the all inclusive. Okay, so the cocktails weren't the most spectacular in the world and a bigger selection may have been nice, but there was nothing wrong with them at all. Most all inclusive packages use local spirits and this is no different.

As for the hill, yes it is a bit steep, but again it does tell you about this in the brochure... and it really isn't that bad. I am not the fittest person by any means, but managed just fine as did all of the other guests that we met! I thought the location was brilliant. The view from the hotel overlooking Afandou was stunning and very much worth walking up a hill to get to it! The pool was lovely, and there were no people 'getting drunk' all day. Yes people may like to have a few beers or cocktails during the day but they are on holiday!!!!!! You could always get a sunbed, no need to rush down and reserve them with a towel!!!

The rooms - They were fine and very clean, with fresh sheets every day. The decor in the bathrooms may have been a little outdated but it was perfectly clean when we arrived and was cleaned every day for us with fresh towels also provided daily. The cleaners (that some people on here seem so intent on moaning about), were just lovely. They didn't barge in at all. Most days we didn't go down to breakfast until 9am and the cleaners never came into the room before this time. We were in our room one morning after breakfast at about 9.30am and they knocked, giving us time to respond before coming into the room. They did a brilliant job every single day.

Moving on to the rest of the staff... AMAZING. I have been on a lot of holidays and even in some of the 4 and 5 star hotels that I have stayed in the staff have been no where near as fabulous as Thasos, his sister, the waitresses, barmen and everyone else here. Whoever made that nasty comment about Thasos should be removed from this site. He is a lovely man who works relentlessly to make sure his guests are looked after and have a fantastic holiday. His friendly demeanor is just part of his Greek culture, which is what I would expect when visiting Greece!!! If you don't appreciate other cultures then go on holiday to Bognor instead!! The staff absolutely made our holiday and you would struggle to find better anywhere else. It was such a lovely place, all the guests were so friendly as well and I dont think I have ever had so many laughs with such wonderful people (Sam, Andy, Sandra and John - You are the best and we miss you loads)!

Do not miss Greek Night - It is great!! They don't force you to join in but for those that want to it is just so much fun!!

In summary, I think this hotel offers excellent value for money. We were just looking for a last minute cheap break to get away and catch a bit of sun. I cannot believe that we only paid £360 each for a week all inclusive here. It was such good value and worth every single penny. When we saw the price we thought that it would be basic and didn't go with great expectations. I just cannot believe how fantastic it was for the price that we paid. The facilities are clearly stated in the brochure, so if people can't be bothered to read it before they book then that it their own fault and not the hotels. We would definitely come back!! Thasos and staff - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Julia & Paul XX

6 Thank Julia S
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed with my partner[Moira] at the Rodos Star from 10th September to 19th September,we have been to Rhodes twice before as well as Crete and Corfu so we no the Greek culture and people fairly well.I do feel that alot of the negative reviews on here are i think from people who compare Greece to other countries or have never travelled to Greece before and you cant do that .The hotel has a great pool area to relax in or you can relax in the gardens if you want a quite spot, the pool is spotless as well.The food is very good with lots of choice being traditional Greek as well as lots of salads or english food and is not repetative as some people say and if you cant find anything to eat then i suggest you must be in the wrong country.Yes, the cocktails are not mind blowing but the Greek spirits are no where as strong as ours but they are refreshing on a hot day ,the beer is of good quality and after all you get what you pay for in a 3 star hotel!.Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and bed linen by the lovely cleaners who DO NOT BARGE IN at 730am, the rooms are traditionally Greek and if you have been to Greece before then you know what to expect as its all part of the holiday experience.Now for the staff - AMAZING thats what i can say from the heart
Mimi and Maria the waitress girls work very hard and are always willing to help and they were great fun.Adde the barman deserves a medal as he works non stop and has a great sense of humour and you can have a good laugh and joke with him.Nikolas and Moscha and Tassos the owner[Who in one review was called a perv and the person who said this should be ashamed of themselves] They are great family people.A special mention about Tassos he goes out off his way so spend time with the guests. He is a great man who likes to entertain his guests with typical Greek hospitality and if you have been to Greece before then you would no how passionate and friendly the Greek people are. This is a great hotel somewhere peaceful to relax and spend time with fellow guests, good food and wine, good Greek hospitality and of course the fab Greek weather.Lastly i want to mention two special people who we met there and i would like to call our friends now, Daphne and Jonathan from Cornwall we had some great nights and you made us laugh with your great stories and your wonderfull sense off humour we are missing you already.To sum things up this is a great Greek family run hotel with hardworking and wonderfull staff. Please go there you will enjoy!!! WE WILL BE RETURNING!!!!...Mark and Moira

Room Tip: second flor
4 Thank mark b
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

the rodos star is definately a 3 star (if not less) hotel but to be fair they dont pretend to be anything else.The rooms are very basic but clean. The food is not very good( my husband virtually lived on tomatos and bread but the food on Greek night was lovely(why cant it be that quality every night,also it was the best Greek night Ive ever been to ,especially when Papa and his friends got up to dance.Which brings me on to the staff who were all fantastic,really friendly especially to my son who has learning difficulties.He had the best holiday because everyone(all the other holiday makers) made such a big fuss of him,I have never met such a lovely bunch of fellow residents,they all made our holiday very special.the town of afandou was a bit run down but that was part of its charm and the local people were very friendly. the bars and restaurants are good too.The pool is a nice size but a lot of the beds were broken and the plastic ones were very uncomfortable and there was very few parasols which could easily be remedied. Overall it was a good holiday mainly because of the friendly atmosphere and the other residents.

Room Tip: try to get a first floor room as the maids dont get to you till later in the morning
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank pauline s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Afandou Bay Resort Suites
Atrium Platinum Hotel
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#5 of 127 in Rhodes Town
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Rodos Star Hotel? Share your experiences!