“Lovely week break”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely week break”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back from a week at rodas star with four children ages 9 , 11 , 16, 17 and it's been a lovely week when arrived I did request a family room and the nice lady Mos tried every way to sort me one out but we ended up with 2 rooms close together on the 3rd floor which I would recommend 314 and 316 lovely views and had no bugs etc rooms were cleaned every day because she couldn't sort a family room I had a free safety deposit box which was a nice gesture . breakfast was nice very good variety suite everyone lunch and tea the same nicer than some all inclusives I've been to . Drinks were served from 10 in the morning till 11 at night all ok they had entertainment twice a week which suited us as at night we like to venture out yes we walked up and down the hill nearly every day a bit of a steep one but it made us laugh part of the holiday . Was easy to get a sunbed everyday and being a small hotel soon got used to people and I must say the English people do moan over the slightest thing I think they forget there on holiday and things are different than back home it's a 3 star hotel you are going to get flaws a few broken sunbeds or someone don't like the food but get on with it your on holiday . I would recommend this holiday and I think a lot of people are return visitors life's to short enjoy and make the most of it .the rooms are really warm so we did have to pay for air conditioning 7 euros a night but was a god send my eldest lads have also made a friend the young lad from behind the bar the staff are very hard working and work long hours it was ashame to come home x

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Absolutely amazing people, they treated us like we were family and would do anything for you.
The service couldn't have been any better, from the Nick and Spyros (bar staff) to Mimi and Demritria serving food every day. There was a good variety of fantastic food that was freshly made everyday by the chef Erik and the room was absolutely spotless on arrival and both cleaning staff were so friendly and cheerful.
It's in walking distance to the town where you can get a bus or train to the beach if you dont want to walk but you may need to get a taxi back to the hotel as the hill is fairly steep but not impossible to walk up.
There's also live music on Tuesday night's and Greek night on Fridays which are both great fun.
Overall it was a brilliant holiday and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank hmulcahy
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed in August as a family of four.

The food was good, fresh and varied at lunch and dinner time. The meat was very fatty and appeared to be cheap cuts. This did improve in the second week and I would say that although the meat wasn't great there were always other options and a vegetarian choice. People did queue at times for a short while when the restaurants opened and personally I would say this was to get the best choice of the salad section, as this was not always replenished ( eg,, once the Feta cheese was gone, it was gone. I did ask for more one day and the waitress rolled her eyes ). The children love the freshly made pancakes at breakfast and they do replenish them.

Our room was spacious and bright with a lovely view from the 1st floor. The bathroom was really poor. I would find it acceptable for the fittings to be old, but it was really dirty. The cleaners came in and changed the towels and made the beds but there didn't seem to be much actual cleaning taking place. Equally in the restaurant, the table cloths didn't appear to be washed, they were brushed over by hand with a brush !

I had of course read about ' the hill ' and was prepared for this, but I did find it a problem. During the day it was just too hot to walk up and down. The hotel will drop you to the beach at 10.30 and pick you up at 5.30 but I would suggest they need to offer to bring you back earlier as that was just too long on the beach in 40 degree heat. At night the hill/road is unmade, unlit and quite treacherous. There is no footpath and the locals either give way politely or get very close to you in their vehicles. Take a torch or just take a taxi, if you can get one. The Taxi rank was often empty. The price varied from 5-8 Euros.

We found the drinks on offer to be fine but the pool bar shuts at 5pm and you can not take a drink from the inside bar, out and can not get a drink in your swimwear ! This almost forces you out of the pool, which is such a shame. Please Rodos think about keeping the pool bar open at night. There is very limited seating outside the bar at night and if there are a few smokers, this can be a problem for families with children. If they kept the pool bar open this would alleviate this.
If you arrive late, you will be lucky to get 1 free drink from the barman. Make sure you have Euros ready to pay.

The bus service from the village is great, reliable and reasonable. Well worth using. The boat trip we purchased from reception was lovely and they collect you from the hotel door and sail to Lindos.

Air con is 7 Euro a night.
Wifi is 5 Euro for 90 minutes.
The supermarket in the hotel is overpriced. There are 2 or 3 in the village.

Mosquitos were a problem in August.

The transfer booked with our package took 1hour 30 mins. I would recommend getting a taxi at around 35 Euros.

We had a lovely holiday, mostly down to the company of friends.

Room Tip: don't go for ground floor as Cockroaches were a problem for other guests.
8 Thank lornalorna01
Southampton
Reviewed 23 August 2014

First Off I write a lot of honest reviews on this website about a variety of hotels in different locations. The Geordies who wrote the review about the "Worst Holiday ever" should save up a little bit more of their hard earned giros and child benefit hand outs and go to Whitley Bay next year where it's normal to have Newcastle Brown Ale with your chips and Gravy.

The hospitality offered at this hotel is second to none, from the moment we arrived Mos made us so welcome and could not do enough for us. I went with my little boy 6 and wife 40 and our little boy was ill after 1 day (nothing to do with the hotel) and we had to get the doctor out (€80) Mos rallied round and even called her husband to personally go and knock up the doctor so he could come and see us sooner! Once diagnosis was received Mos drove me down to Afandou to the chemists in order for me to get the medicine, Does the service get any better??

Taking into account my previous experiences all inclusive, the food at the hotel was of a very high standard with a variety of Greek and International dishes freshly prepared everyday (not a microwave in site) And yes there are chips everyday along with endless ice cream available at Lunch and Dinner. Breakfast you can have eggs, bacon, sausages, baked beans etc etc Freshly made pancakes for the kids, poached eggs, fried eggs, cereals, toast, Jam, prunes, Olives need I go on?!? Lunch is served by the pool, which consists of various dishes throughout the week, however, you can get chips, pizza, and kebabs in lovely wraps daily, and more ice cream for the kids!!!!

Greek Night: A must, great food, great people, great dancing (wont be forced unless you want to)

Pool Area: Nice, no fighting for sunbeds with rude Ruskis! Plenty of sun and shade available with poolside bar serving drinks from 10am, coffee and tea also available.

Bar and reception: Nice area with plenty of seats available and a nice balcony to sit on outside.

Restaurant: Plenty of tables to pick from, we generally went to the far wall right under the air conditioning as it is lovely and cool there.

Shop: Purchase drinks and snacks, ice creams, toys, sun cream , soap, shampoo, etc etc from the shop.

Afandou: Right let's get this 100% clear, there is one hell of a hill to get up to this hotel. There are several reviews saying about it so do not see why people should mark the hotel down for this as you are aware before you book. You can get a taxi back for €4-€5 to avoid walking up the hill if its that big a problem. To get to Afandou follow the road down the hill out of the hotel and go through the gap where the road narrows between 2 houses, you come to a T junction turn right and this will take you right into the centre of Afandou probably about 1/4 mile walk from T junction. Loads of bars and restaurants around, we mainly went to the Alfa Bar as they had free wifi, and showed all the football matches. The owner is a real nice guy and you get free crisps and peanuts with drinks. Had a meal in Segios, best Pizza ever and great value.

A must is the boat trip to Lindos, book through Mos and not you travel agent as you'll save €20 on a ticket. Pick up at 8.15, sail at 9, approx 1.5 hours to Lindos! Beautiful clear blue sea and an opportunity to get a good tan on the boat, be careful as it get soooooo hot! 3 hours in Lindos, loads of shops etc We went to the Acropolis and its a knackering walk up a huge hill, you can get a donkey but thats just pure lazy, and i suspect they are not the best treated animals on the planet. Beware of donkey poo all over the paths on the way up also. I personally would not bother with the Acropolis as its more effort than its worth, but this is my opinion yours may differ, nothing to drink at the top apart from a small cafe with high prices so buy some water frm the boat before you get off to hike to the top. Once you've done your 3 hours it back to Afandou stopping twice in 2 bays for people to jump off into approx 40 feet of water, this was great fun and me and the boy loved it. The water is very salty so even people who are not confident swimmers will practically float due to the salt. Back to Rodos for 4pm.

All in all apart from my boy being ill we had a wonderful time and met loads of nice people, all the kids got on really well and there was a real nice relaxed atmosphere.

We paid £1190 for 1 week all inclusive flying from Bournemouth in the school holidays true value for money. If you imagine the hotel gets a small amount per person from the agents for this, so they do a wonderful job. You have to pay for air conditioning €7, wifi, €5 for 90 minutes but so what! For all those people who moan about having to do this the expression "champagne taste, cider money" comes to mind, save up a little bit more of your wifi & air con money and off you go to the Sandy Lane resort in Barbados, they'll even throw in a butler for £25K for the week!

We not really going back people as like to try new things, however, my son had such a good time (when not ill) that we would consider as keeping him amused means a stress free holiday for me and the wife!

Room Tip: Ground floor, so the kids can come and go as they want!
8 Thank Steve H
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just back from a week at the Rodus Star. Went with my husband, 1st time AI. The rooms are a good size and cleaned daily. We asked for a top floor room which had a lovely view of the bay.
Food was excellent with plenty of choice although couldn't understand why most people queued for it b4 serving time, a bit like being back at school!
Nice pool area with plenty of sun beds but if you didn't put your towel down early you wouldn't get a place by the pool. This wasn't a problem for us we liked to sit under the trees in the garden.
The pool is open until 6pm, they lock the area so you have to vacate and the pool bar closes at 5pm which meant no drinks between 5 and 6pm as your not allowed to take drinks served from the main bar to the pool area or your room.
Would we stay AI again? I don't think so although we did save we prefer to do our own thing, eating when and where we please and sitting by the pool watching the sun go down with a cold beer!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Teresa R
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Firstly, I've read a lot of the reviews, both good and bad, and would reiterate that you can't expect a Mercedes when you pay for a Fiat Panda... That said, you do get a lot for your money. The food was excellent and we NEVER had a bad meal whilst we were there (and my wife and daughter are fussy eaters). There was always plenty to eat too. Also, if you can't get you're sorry body out of bed before 9.30am for breakfast or wait until a sensible meal time to feed your family then perhaps the issue lies elsewhere than with the hotel... (lunch 12.30 to 14.30 dinner (tea) 19.30 to 21.30)
The room we had was on the first floor (room 210), we had a lovely view of the sea and mountains and couldn't fault the housekeepers. The beds were really comfortable and the bedding and towels were changed EVERY DAY. The bathroom is dated but more than adequate.
The pool area was lovely, always a sunbed available and the pool was kept clean. There are parasols and trees to shelter from the midday sun. The pool is shut from 6pm in the evening for maintennance (putting in the chemicals). The pool bar a godsend when the temperature rises. Lunch is served in the dining area close to the pool, which is a nice touch.
Afandou is exactly what you'd expect from a typical Greek village, don't expect a view straight out of 'Mama Mia' or boutique shopping. That's not what you get from a typical Greek village location. A good bar is 'Peoples Bar' where you get free wi-fi, bowls of popcorn and peanuts with your drinks and cocktails are two for 4 euros. You will get a good reception from the boss if he's there (you can always tell because his pink Vespa is parked outside, if he's in).
Finally, and most importantly, the staff... they're all lovely. Mos,the manageress, (who rumour has it is related to Jennifer Anniston) is fantastic and will even run you down to the beach in the morning and bring you back in the evening. Speak to her for advice on excursions if the rep isn't around. Tassos, the boss, is a star and very welcoming. The kitchen staff are great and very hard working. Finally, the bar staff, Nick and Spyros, AWESOME. Really great guys and always cheerful.
People have complained about the rules in previous reviews, personally, if you can't abide by a few common sense rules to reduce the noise levels after 11pm and to maintain a safe environment for the kids around the pool area, then go elsewhere and keep this lovely hotel and its wonderful staff, for people who appreciate their hard work and effort and value for money offered.
I've never been on a holiday before where there were tears in the eyes of hotel staff when we left. We were really made to feel like part of their family. They are all genuine and lovely people who go out of their way to help make your holiday a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: First or second floor rooms offer some good views.
5 Thank Roly102
Northants England
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is NOT an all inclusive hotel......
We spent 70 euro on air con (which we were aware of but never had to pay extra before)
15 euros on WIFI (don't bother)
at least another 40 euros on snacks

FIRST THE NEGATIVES.
Arrived late evening and shown to room 101., which I hated instantly. It is the first door from reception, next to the kitchen and dining room. We asked straight away to be moved and were assured that this would be done within 2 days.....it wasn't. The view from our room was non existent, just a tree. We had 4 cockroaches in the room during our stay and they were the ones we could see (didn't move any furniture for fear of more). We were woken every morning by the kitchen staff radio and pots banging and then the dining room noise.

I would also like to state there is NO FREE WIFI we were told on arrival that there was in reception but we needed a code. When I checked this the next day I was told there was no wifi unless you paid 5 euro for 90 minutes. We sent 15 euro trying to sort out my daughter's exam results which should have given us over 4 hours....it didn't we got about 3. Don't waste your money.

The meal times are very regimented 7.30 - 9.30 Breakfast, 12.30 - 2.30 Lunch 7.30 - 9.30 Dinner. Absolutely NO snacks in between it is too long in between for children and we spent a fortune in there shop on ice creams and crisps which they are more than happy to sell you!!!!

There is no entertainment which we knew when we booked they do however have a Greek night which was good fun the dancers were excellent. It just got a bit weird after when the hotel family start dancing and you are expected to clap along it's like imposing on a family party as there is no interaction with guests. Dinner on this night isn't served until 8.30 by which time we had spent a fortune on snacks in the shop.

The location on the hill makes it very remote, you can walk into Afandou but there are no paths and can be tricky with children. We went to Alfa Bar and had a decent drink and the owner Tassos was amazing and went out of his way to help us as he has free WIFI and even lent my daughter his laptop for her results.
It is about 20 minute walk to the beach but you do have to cross a main road.

Drinks in the bar are unrecognisable and I couldn't find anything to drink (I'm not expecting premium labels but the mixers were just disgusting). The bar manager Nick loves his rules and reminds you of them on a daily basis which is very tiring and quite frankly I don't need to be spoken to like a naughty child.

The outside evening area is too small and the pool area would should be used instead of it being gated off.

POSITIVES.
The food was good and varied, the meat was fatty but definitely improved over the last 3 days.
The waitresses clear up really quickly so never any dishes laying about.

Spiros the barman during the day was excellent, always happy and chatty, the kids loved him.

The pool area could be tidied up but there was always enough beds free and the kids loved it.

What made this holiday was the amazing group of friends we made while there otherwise this would have been a 2 star.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 at all costs
8 Thank yummymummyof2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Afandou Bay Resort Suites
Atrium Platinum Hotel
Atrium Platinum Hotel
#5 of 127 in Rhodes Town
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Rodos Star Hotel? Share your experiences!