“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Agia Efimia
England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is a long overdue review!
We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel where we stayed in May 2013 for. 9 days.
I rang & booked direct & discussed room options & was given a much better price than any of the booking companies.

The rooms are huge, clean & have stunning views out to sea.
This is a family owned hotel with no tour operators so is quiet & attentively run with no request too much for the wonderful Katherine & her family.

It's a short stroll to the small harbour town centre -& only 40 mins drive to Fiskardo.etc -we drove to all parts of the island every afternoon & were relieved to return to our lovely room each evening.
Do not miss the trip to Ithaca!

Kate

Room Tip: Phone up but all are huge!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank twinkle88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Glencoe, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

well, we returned to the odyssey hotel for the second year in a row and I have to say - super hotel. super staff. we were a bit apprehensive after having such a wonderful stay the year before - could our experience be matched? yes! everything was as I remembered and once again the staff made our stay a wonderful experience and we will return again this summer.

personally, I have multiple sclerosis and traveling, let alone staying outside of my home, can be daunting to say the least. Catherine and Gerasimos and his lovely wife Katerina have managed to make me feel secure and comfortable in their hotel. they've been so patient,compassionate, and understanding with me and the challenges that ms brings. one morning I 'lost' my purse. you would think special forces was called in to find it. after having put the hotel on 'red alert' I found my purse - where they could have been put off they understood - cognitive issues were just a part of my package - they were very reassuring and I didn't feel as foolish and embarrassed. the hotel is very handicapped friendly which is tough to find in greece - I met a dear friend there who was using one of the 2 handicapped friendly rooms in the hotel - he finds the room and the facilities comfortable and has returned a few times himself.

I've stayed in many hotels in greece through the years - some of the 'best' and the odyssey stands above them all. really. it is a beautiful hotel, super location, great views, great service, clean as a whistle and you can't beat the rooms - they are very spacious and comfortable with views to die for. the pool area is very well laid out and they also have a full service spa that I've heard nothing but raves about - I intend to use their spa this summer. there is also a hair/nail salon where Patroula handles all of the beauty needs. and an exercise room.

Chef Loukas Poulos ran the kitchen this year and once again where I very well could have gone to town for meals, I didn't have to. their dinner menu offers a variety of dishes as well as the Greek 'staples' and daily specials - all expertly prepared by Chef Loukas.

Mr. Raftopoulos would proudly let us know that all food is fresh - all of their herbs, veges and fruit are grown 'in house' and everything is homemade from the bread to the ice cream and all in between. I have some dietary needs/restrictions and they were always able to accommodate me there as well.

their breakfast buffet was very well done and offered a great variety of breakfast food including fresh fruit, homemade breads, meats, cheeses, eggs and yogurt from the village and my favorite - honey puffs.

while I do spend most of my time at the pool, the sea is a hop and a skip away, literally. so there is the best of both swimming worlds at the odyssey as well.

it was delightful to see that the Raftopoulos family have maintained their high level of services year to year and I wish them the greatest success in the years to come -

for me, it's either the odyssey or home in the summer - I feel they are both the same.

• Stayed July 2013
9 Thank stephanieant
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Having visited many greek islands over the years we were keen to try the Ionian so opted for Kefalonia. Having sought information on this site about hotels in Kefalonia, the Odyssey was coming out on top with first class reviews. I rang the hotel direct and spoke to the owner Catherine. We booked half board. The correspondence with the hotel was very impressive, quick and efficient, both the owners Catherine and Gerry speak good english along with George (front of house) so communiction is not a problem. We flew direct to Kefalonia (3 hrs) and the hotel is situated to the north of the island at Agia Efimia, approx 45 mins from the airport. Top tip- much easier to hire a car for the week, 170 euros, as it is a 50 euro transfer from the airport to the hotel, a no brainer really.
George arranged our car hire with Star villas car hire in the town which was a lovely clean new car and the manager will be waiting for you at the airport with directions. The drive to the hotel is mainly along the coastal roads so take your time to enjoy the scenery and try not to run over the many goats wondering at the side of the road.
On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with drinks which was a nice touch. George gave us a run down on all the essential information regarding the hotel.
The Odyssey is situated in the lovely quiet town of Agia Efimia - 5 mins casual stroll away. The hotel is set slightly on a hill overlooking the Ionian sea and the views from your balcony are spectacular.
The rooms themselves are more like suites equipped with modern gadgets and air conditioning. You wont be disappointed with the beds either as these are spacious and comfortable. Wi-fi is available throughout the hotel if you want to keep in touch with the outside world! The pool area is spacious with towels available and a drinks service.
The food here is very good - remember you are in Greece so egg and chips and pizza are not on the dinner menu!.
Alex and Anna who serve you at dinner are efficient and helpful and both speak good english. The 5 course dinner was usually very good with a good choice and it is served and presented in a delightful manner in lovely surroundings by the pool. Breakfast is also good and the ever smiling Demi was on hand to refill your coffee cup if you so much as look in her direction. The buffet style selection although quite limited is fresh and inviting, again you are in Greece and shouldnt be expecting a big 'fry up'. The hotel is small compared to the larger hotels in Athens but this gives it charm, grace and above all quality.
Overall my assumption is that this hotel prides itself on service and its lovely to see that the staff here want you to have a good holiday and to enjoy yourself.
Places to visit - Sami, Along the coast road 15 mins drive from the hotel. Boats arrive daily, all the usual parade of bars and restaurants along the seafront.
Agostoli beach - without doubt the best beach on the island, sunbeds and parasols are free, crystal clear water ideal for snorkelling.
Mythos beach - overcrowded tourist trap with expensive sunbeds and major wasp problem! On the plus side the scenery is lovely.#
Poros - Very small village, beautiful scenery on the road leading there, an anti climax when you reach it. Not much going on here, the only hotel closed many years ago.
Agostoli - the capital, full of usual tourist shops selling wooden chess sets etc! Travel in a little where the shops are better and give you more choice.
Lassi - a popular destination for mass tourism where you can have a traditional greek meal of cheesy chips or pizza with chips and my favourite egg and chips! There is a thomas cook rep on every corner and the tourists are bused around on big coaches.
Fiskardo - another sleepy fishing village more upmarket than the others, usual restaurants and bars.
Assos - another tourist trap with restaurants every where. Not much to see here, only an old man selling jars of honey in the car park and some old ruins of a castle or fort.
It is expensive in Greece due to the euro and the problems it is facing but this is a perfect island to visit if you are choosing a holiday destination and the Odyssey is a perfect base to venture out from. We both had a marvellous relaxing holiday so just wanted to say 'efharisto' Catherine and Gerry and all the team at the Odyssey. We will return at some point I promise, until next time.

10 Thank Terry T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in August and it really is a little piece of paradise. We knew when we walked through the door and saw the wonderful views and were then greeted with a warm smile and cocktail that we had arrived at a good place! I had had a very busy year and wanted somewhere where I could really relax and the Odyssey is perfect for that. The rooms are lovely, large, very comfortably furnished (really comfortably bed!), stylishly decorated and of a very high standard for Greece. The staff are so friendly and can't do enough for you. Although I think the breakfasts could be improved, we had good five course evening meals, which were quite magical when eaten outside by the pool and overlooking the bay. It is a short walk into the village where everyone is equally friendly and we found the best value cocktails I've ever had. Combined with a wonderful taxi driver who gave us our own little tour to, and from the airport, we found that Kefalonia is a really magical island and one I will definitely return to, and I would certainly return to the Odyssey, I really didn't want to leave it.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Fiona J
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We visited the island for two weeks in mid September and stayed at the Odyssey Hotel for our first week. We received excellent service throughout, and were delighted with the size of our bedroom. Our only disappointment was the breakfast. We do not expect vast quantities of food, but the quality was not great. The ham and cheese appeared to be processed, with no flavour, and the fresh fruit was limited to water melon and kiwi fruit. One morning there were a couple of apples and some Galia melon, but only once. The only saving grace was the bread that was fresh each morning. It almost felt like they knew they were coming to the end of the season and didn't want to put too much out so as not to waste anything. We only ate at the hotel on our first evening. The starters were superb but the main courses lacked flavour. All in all I would recommend this hotel, but as the town is within walking distance, I would suggest that the standard of food in the local tavernas is much better value and more flavoursome.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
2 Thank Shirley_Chapman
Newbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

How can one describe the Odyssey Hotel after all the adjectives have been used to praise this hotel. This is my second visit to this delightful destination and I was asked last year if I had any ideas that would improve this hotel, I said then and I repeat again now, that you cannot improve on perfection, but maybe you can,only time can tell.

All the rooms face due East, with the sun rising over Ithica what a way to start the day!!

Furnished to a very high spec, nothing is missing to make your stay as pleasant as possible
The Odyssey has a staff to be proud of, from Catherine and Gerasimos who run the hotel like a Swiss watch runs..... perfectly!

New people who we have met this year were George, helping Catherine, Anna, Loykas ( the Chef ) who deserves a special thank you, for the superb food served each evening while we were visiting. The names also to mention are Alex who served our food and also Alexis who was our young lady who attended our room with utmost care and attention.

Surely this hotel will go higher and higher in the ratings, and it is at the top already!!!! So what can one expect for the future?

Thank you all for the superb fourteen nights of sheer enjoyment. We will definitely be visiting you again next year.

1 Thank TRAVELLER343Newbury
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I agree with most of the comments about the quality of the hotel and the rooms. Also the staff were helpful and friendly. However whilst the breakfasts were above average for Greek standards the evening meals were poor to say the least with some dishes inedible (not just our opinion but also that of other guests).
Whatever you do do not book for the very end of the season. Our last night was October 1st with the last guests due to leave on the 5th. However our "five course" evening meal for the 1st was cancelled and the alternative of either a club sandwich or toastie at lunch was offered (not even an omelet was available). We had already given up on evening meals and ate out but we had paid a half board price and this was not acceptable. Also on the 1st all poolside sun umbrellas were removed together with all tables and chair and only four sunbeds left for remaining guests. It is due to this that i have downrated to hotel to Average.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank AnnualOxford
ODYSSEYHOTEL, General Manager at Odyssey Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you very much for your average review. We very much regret the fact that we did not fully meet your expectations. Since, however, other guests might be mislead with your comment “our five course evening meal for the last night was cancelled and the alternative of either a club sandwich or toastie at lunch was offered (not even an omelet was available)”, we would like to mention here that our lunch menu is full and the only reason you are offered a sandwich was because you and your wife only wanted a sandwich, it was your request the night before at the front office desk , and not as mentioned by you- probably by mistake- because our lunch menu has no more to offer. Our entire team is extremely dedicated to personalized service and we go above and beyond to care for our residents. What is also to our surprise is your comment “some dishes were inedible”. You’ve been asked after every single dinner of yours if everything was good and your answer was always the same: “Thank you, it was a lovely dinner”. We had no reason to doubt your words, as your plates were taken back to the kitchen empty and we have never had any negative remarks by you both during your stay. On the contrary, a day before checking-out you said you and your wife enjoyed your stay very much and you plan to come back next year. Obviously, no one plans to visit an average hotel second time. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Odyssey Hotel next summer and to personally attend your requirements.

Catherine Raftopoulos
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Sami Beach Hotel
Sami Beach Hotel
#1 of 5 in Sami

Been to Odyssey Hotel? Share your experiences!