“Good Hotel Shame - about the village”

Balneario de Mondariz
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Pontevedra
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel. Our room 226 was very spacious with a view over the pool. The staff were friendly and helpful but they have a very limited grasp of the English language so it's a good idea to go prepared and know some Spanish words yourself.
A spa visit and a visit to the water palace was included in our stay and dressing gowns and flip flops were provided.
The spa lasted an hour and a half and was very enjoyable. It consisted of 20 minutes warm jaccussi, 20 in the steam room, a hose down with pressure hose, 20 minutes in the outdoor jacussi.
The water palace has no time limit except that it does not open until 3pm. It is located across the road from the hotel but there is an underground tunnel leading to it so no need to go outside. This consisted of a large pool with water jets, waterfalls, steam rooms and an outdoor sauna and warm pool area. Very relaxing!
Breakfast was quite good compared to other Spanish hotels however the cooked food was not hot so we avoided that.
The hotel is located in a village but everything was shuttered and quiet and there was nothing to do - no little shops to browse around in and the two restaurants were pretty much deserted. We opted to eat in the English Bar as there were one or two people there. The owner was friendly and the food was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building and you will be close to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bonniepippa

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The experience fulfilled the expectations without going over.
In terms of cleanliness everything was spotlessly clean, without any miss point. Maximum score for cleanliness of the room and other areas. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly.
The Celtic circuit won by curiosity, but it has nothing to recommend it.
The Water Palace has the problem of having too many children and the best areas (which are also not many) are always busy. The two jacuzzi outside the pool are weak. The Sauna and Turkish bath are also some shortcomings, including a door that does not close properly.
In fact, the best was the hot water pool outdoor and the time of closing until 0H00, what allowing use the space outside the children hours and be in the hot water pool to see the moon. Without it, this experience would probably far behind other spas I know.
Enjoy visiting the surrounding green spaces such as the river beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aamm_8
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in the hotel. The rooms are nice and clean but the hotel is pretty expensive and we only had access to the Water Palace and the Circuito Celta. You get 3 hours in the Water Palace as a limit although to spend 3 hours is a lot and when we went it was full if children running around and screaming. It felt more like a public pool than a nice relaxing spa. We also had access to the Cricuito Celta which is about 2 hours. That was nicer and more relaxing. If your looking for a place with real spring water baths then this isn't your place. Most of the pools are chlorinated and there are only 2 small pools with natural water. We also had breakfast included but it's your typical buffet breakfast with the same food every morning. My boyfriend also ended up tripping on the stairs and twisting his ankle. When we mentioned something to the staff to see if they would offer an ice-pack they didn't even ask if he was OK. They just said that they've never had someone trip on the stairs before and turned their heads the other way. Seemed a little dismissive to me. Especially from a nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eryn J
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A place to return! Yes, it is!
Nice atmospehere! Calm!
I loved the Water Palace, the SPA. In the SPA I've got that feeling that these staff is really expert, very, very good! And i know quite a few SPAs.
As well meals in restaurant or in the lobby bar were very good! Spanish cuisine from Galiza!
I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was put up in this hotel as a guest of the Ponteareas Jazz Festival nearby. The hotel is enormous! I had to go upstairs, downstairs, in 2 elevators, and through 2 lobbies to get to the main reception area near my room, but it was well worth the 'excursion'.
Things I liked:
I had a beautiful suite which was quite large for just me; very clean and sweet-smelling.
There was a welcome dish of fruit and a comlimentary bottle of fruit on my arrival.
My bed was big, plush, and comfortable.
I loved the ample bathroom with the circular bath. Electrical outlets were accessible in all the right places for my electric things.
The breakfast room was quite busy. the buffet had a nice variety of foods to please most nationalities. The waiters are rushing around, but their very courteous, and a couple of them are even charming.
I speak Spanish, but judging by the amount of foreigners here - maybe 20% - I think you can count on some English speakers amongst the staff.
This hotel has its famous Mondariz water for saunas and other treatments. In the folder, placed in every room, there are also at least 20 different massages available - including for children and pregnant mothers. I regret not having had the time to enjoy at least one of them!
I am sure that it's a hotel that I'd definitely want to come to if I needed to be a bit recluse while 'recovering from something'. This is the place.
The town itself is built around the Balneario, so there are only a couple bars, 4 or 5 restaurants, and 1 ceramic bookshop.
If you don't have a car, you may feel a bit limited. However, there is a taxi stand and a taxi ride to the nearest town is about 12 euro.

Needed Improvements:
Better communication with reception, who don't always pick up the phone. It's a big hotel.
A water cooker to make my own tea and coffee, since getting to -and finding- the closest bar, inside or outside, is a bit of an effort.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DZEBORAH
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I've visited the Balneario a number of times on business and have always had a very good experience. My most recent visit was in November 2012 and I stayed 2 nights, flying in and out of Vigo airport. First impression of the hotel is the wonderful smell as you walk into reception - I think it's from the spa, but of course it could always be a spa-type spray. Either way, it's lovely and very relaxing.

The hotel staff - in reception, housekeeping and the bar/restaurant - are all very friendly. I speak Spanish, but I've seen that a number of the staff speak English, and I think that English visitors, who are still quite rare, would be made very welcome. The downstairs area in the main building is set up as a lounge, with huge comfy sofas and lots of pictures of the Balneario's fascinating history (you'll find pictures all over the place of its heyday at the beginning of the 20th century and they are very evocative, even if the Edwardian bathrooms are a bit scary looking - I definitely preferred my modern one!). The lounge is a terrific place to sit, relax, read, and enjoy a beer, a coffee or something stronger from the bar. On warm days, they open up the terrace overlooking the pool and that's also a lovely place to sit.

The rooms are elegant and very clean. The ones in the tower and overlooking the rear are larger and brighter, and the larger ones have a seating area with sofa and armchair. The bathrooms are clean with an excellent shower and good quality complementary toiletries. Towels are a bit scratchy and thin - but this has been my experience in most of the Spanish hotels I've stayed in. At least you get to exfoliate!

Food is very good indeed. Breakfast is a buffet, with a range of fresh fruit, cold meat, local cheeses (try the smoked San Simon - my favourite - or the creamy tetilla), cereals, pastries, plus a quasi-English cooked breakfast, which I've never tried, but seems very popular with Spanish guests. The evening menu always combines locally-sourced Galician produce (try the lamprey when they are in season) with more cosmopolitan fare. If caldo gallego (Galician bean broth) is on the menu, try it - it's delicious and very warming in the winter. And if you get the chance to try the licores at the end of the meal, I recommend the licor de hierbas (luminous green) or the coffee liquor, which is sweet and very moreish. After all, you will only have to stumble upstairs afterwards...

The town of Mondariz Balneario is very quiet and tranquil, with lots of lovely local walks along the River Tea. Cross the road to the former Grand Hotel building (now apartments), where you will find the Fonte de Gandara (to the left as you look at the building), which is a great opportunity to taste the water direct from the source. There are very pleasant walks in the grounds of the Grand Hotel building, which are open to the public. If you climb the stairs to the left of the building as you look at it, you will see some of the chalets where wealthy guests used to stay (mostly now derelict, but they make very picturesque ruins), and pass through the remains of the outdoor ethnographic museum, collected by the Peinador family who owned the place in the early 20th century. If you go around to the right of the Grand Hotel building, you will find the remains of the orangery, the crazy golf, and other hotel buildings that are slowly returning to nature.

There are a few cafes and restaurants in town, and I recommend the 'English pub' on the main road, which is very friendly and has a great terrace overlooking the river. Despite the name it isn't very English, but it's good value and a lovely place to spend a couple of hours.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the spa itself, because it's not the kind of thing I go in for, but people seem to enjoy their treatments and the place is full of guests wafting around in robes and slippers. I went once to the Palacio de Agua across the road (there's an underground tunnel if you don't want to brave the elements in your robe) and enjoyed the rooftop Japanese bath especially.

I love Mondariz - the town and the hotel - and come back whenever I can. It's definitely geared towards the Spanish visitor, but don't let that put you off - English guests are incredibly welcome and it's a tranquil and inviting place to kick back for a couple of days. Plus, as I said, it smells great.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower in the main building (125-7, 225-7) are larger and quiet. 226 has a lovely view t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MargaretHale
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I staid here twice in 2011: The first time for the preparation of my wedding and the second time, I staid for three nights around my actual wedding. First of all, I have to say that this is an awesome wedding location! It has the advantages of providing enough rooms for many wedding guests without the busy atmosphere of a conference hotel in a large city where you may be afraid that somebody is walking into your reception, thinking that this is a company presentation. On the other hand, it provides a decent amount of privacy, both for the actual ceremony (we got married in the fountain with the major of Mondariz as the official) as well as for the cocktail, dinner and party. Since the hotel is subdivided in several buildings, all of our guests could stay in the building where we had the dinner and party which also gave the ladies the opportunity to switch from high heels to more comfortable foot wear at some time.

Having said that, let me start about the actual hotel. This is a grand hotel from the Belle Epoque and apparently, it attracted the famous and wealthy of the early 20th century. It burned down and fell into the stage of a Sleeping Beauty for decades before it was rediscovered and remodeled in the 1990s. A Balneario in Spain is basically a spa or a spa village. The hotel thus offers a great "Palacio del Aqua" or water palace for relaxation, as well as an outside pool, different spa treatments and massages. Also, the food is quite delicious and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. Moreover, there is a golf course (I cannot really judge it because I don't play golf but it is a tournament playground) and it has a beautiful club house, overlooking the course with a very nice sunset at night.

Mondariz itself is the smallest townhall in Spain and thus, there is not really much too see. It is a perfect spot for relaxation, about 8 km away from the highway that connects Vigo with Ourense and about 25 km from Vigo airport. Since it is landlocked, expect more continental climate than normally in Galicia on the coast. While it rarely gets very hot around the sea, we had almost 40 degrees there in August.

Regarding the wedding (maybe somebody is also interested in that): Besides the fact that the wedding is hopefully a beautiful day in the life of everyone, regardless of the circumstances, I have to say that I am sooo happy that I got married in Mondariz! I am German and my wife is Spanish, from Galicia. Since we knew that we would have a very international wedding, we chose a location that everybody could relatively easily get to (Vigo airport nearby) and stay there for a full weekend with us. When we checked wedding locations in Galicia, the hotel was the 4th that we saw and we had another appointment to check a hotel in Vigo that day. I already described the location and the facilities. The great thing was that the "wedding organizer", Juanjo, gave us such a confidence that we could manage the organization of a wedding remotely (we both live in Germany) that we canceled our trip to the other hotel since we were very sure. Juanjo and the management made sure that everything would be organized according to our plans. The first answer to every request or idea that we had was "Yes" - Yes we can was actually true! I even asked if we could have some German wheat beer from Bavaria at our wedding and once I provided the name, we had hundreds of bottles on the wedding weekend. Juanjo made sure that we could host a pre-wedding party at the golf club with about 80 people, organized transportation, snacks, drinks, music equipment everything. We had guests from 15 countries and they were all stunned!

The wedding day went very well too. Everybody loved the food both in terms of quantity and quality. Partying until 6 in the morning was no problem whatsoever. We even had the feeling that the team catering that night had a lot of fun at our wedding. My wife and I were very content.

Did things go wrong? Actually yes, a few things could have been better. The AC broke and it was super hot in the dining area. They lost the flower bouquet of my wife. But you know what: When you get married in Spain and everybody makes such an effort to come there, what matters is feeling well received and taken care off. Balneario de Mondariz made sure that our guests were very, very happy!

Finally, I want to point out that there are probably more than 20 weddings per year in the hotel. However, they make sure that there is only one per weekend. And the most important thing: You do not feel like you are the 15th wedding that year but everybody and Juanjo especially gives you the feeling that this is the most special day, not only for you but for them as well. We loved it!

Want to get married in Spain? Do it there! And for everyone else: Balneario de Mondariz is a very nice, relaxing grand hotel that I can recommend everyone for a few days of a get-away brake!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kingsimon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontevedra
Hotel Rural Campaniola
#4 of 76 in Sanxenxo
Hotel Mirador Ria de Arosa
Hotel Mirador Ria de Arosa
#20 of 25 in Pontevedra

Been to Balneario de Mondariz? Share your experiences!