All reviewscount leon roomscilly islesfresh milk deliveredlovely hotelexcellent foodpublic roomsshort breakhalf boardlobsterevening meallands endother islandsfour nightsbiscuitswithout exceptionour honeymoonnothing is too much trouble
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Over in St Mary's for the Gig weekend with my family. Lucky to get the last hotel room on the island at short notice so very pleased with that and the communication between the hotel and the tourist board who gave us the heads up on the accommodation. Paid over £500 for two nights in a family room which was very comfortable but this is the Gig weekend and its usual for the islands to put their prices up because the islands are full and visitors do not have any other options. Very good location and the family rooms on the ground floor have access to a small decking area where you can sit and rear door access which is useful for sand covered kids and kit. Breakfast menu was very good and the kids eat free. The one evening meal we had was poor and as a hotel guest/resident you have no guarantee that you will get a table in the restaurant. The hotel will not ensure all guests have a table because of the demand for meals in the evenings by the thousands of visitors who have come for the Gig weekend and they will be paying more than the discounted rate offered to guests. This was not really an issue because it is a 3 start hotel and something has to give.Very personable staff and Derek the Deputy Manager was very helpful and pleasant until he forgot the service industry mantra of "the customer is always right". There was a misunderstanding on what time our luggage would be collected for the early boat. Rather than accept that it was a misunderstanding he went into confrontation mode and proceeded to argue the toss about who said what. I travel the world on business and to some pretty interesting places and I have never been spoken to in recent years by a member of a hotel management team the way Derek spoke to me. Its top rate hotel prices but you do no get the top rate hotel experience. That's why my title includes the phrase "island attitude" because you scratch through the superficial 'friendly approach' and you get the island mentality coming out. They call anyone not from the islands "FMLs" (you work it out - the last two letters refer to the word Mainlander) we have a saying as well, "FIs". This didn't spoil our trip, we had a fantastic weekend but Derek is the reason why the St Mary's Hall Hotel will not be getting our business again, that and the dinner/guest policy.

Room Tip: Ground floor family room with decking area
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our first visit to the Isles of Scilly - our luggage was collected from the ferry side and we followed directions on foot to find the hotel. From our first steps through the door we were made to feel welcome and this caring and attentive treatment continued throughout our stay. No matter how many times we pestered the staff with questions about the islands they spared us the time. The room was comfortable and clean (biscuits replaced each day and a bottle of water and fresh milk provided daily) the public rooms were smart and homely, meals were excellent. The hotel supports the ethos of the islands: visitors are made to feel valued and the pride they feel for their islands is embedded in all their practices. We are looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Madeline G
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Scilly is probably the friendliest place in the UK - there is no doubt this hotel prides its self on its service with a smile. Everything is taken care of for you and the whole place is spotlessly clean. The beds are comfy and bedrooms nicely decorated. The breakfast is delicious with every type of food you could want or think of, but would recommend the scrambled eggs! Central and easy to walk to everything on St. Mary's

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mangojo13
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband, daughter and I have just returned from a trip to the Scilly Isles and stayed at St. Mary's Hall Hotel. Just lovely, great location in spitting distance to beaches either side of the bay. The rooms and all reception areas were well done, comfortable and sophisticated. The staff we all hospitable, friendly, attentive and helpful. The food was delicious - in fact I tried to steal the chef and bring him back with me! Lovely islands, feel like you are going back in time. I think we will be going back again and again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elaine P
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have just returned from my first trip to the Isles of Scilly and spent 3 nights in this wonderful hotel with my 2 children. The staff at the hotel are excellent; welcoming, friendly and will do anything to make your stay enjoyable.
We stayed in a suite which was spacious and spotlessly clean. The homemade biscuits and fresh milk in the room were a great touch; far better than UHT milk!
The quality of the food in the hotel restaurant and bar was amazing. The menu changed daily and there was plenty of choice including a good selection of vegetarian dishes. The children were also well catered for and could choose from a children's menu or smaller portions from the usual menus. Over our stay my children chose from both and were more than happy with their meals!
We have had a fabulous stay on this beautiful island and can't wait to return to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014