Star Castle(St Mary's)
  • Pool
Atlantic Inn(St Mary's)
Colossus(St Mary's)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscount leon roomscilly islesfresh milk deliveredlovely hotelpublic roomsexcellent foodshort breakhalf boardevening mealother islandslands endfour nightswithout exceptionbiscuitsour honeymoonnothing is too much troubleboat trip
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What can one say that has not already been said? We think a good hotel is an essential part of your holiday. This one has it all, a very pleasant location, superb food, staff and accommodation, coupled to efficient organisation. Roger in particularly made it completely stress free right from the original booking to our final departure. In addition he has detailed knowledge of almost every aspect of the islands. We agree with other comments that prices are a little on high side, though this is somewhat ameliorated if you opt for half board. Book early to avoid disappointment!

2  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a great find, nice hotel and rooms, great food and fantastic friendly service from Roger and team. Well worth taking the DB&B rate as the food is outstanding. Good base for Island hopping as the hotel is a 3 minute walk to the main quay on St. Mary's where all the boats leave from for the other Islands trips.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SLYFOGS23
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have previously holidayed in Tregarthens and Star Castle Hotels on St Mary's and had wonderful stays in both; however, I can honestly stay St Mary's Hall has been the best hotel experience I have had on the Scillies. What made it so good was the friendly, calm ambience, the fine dining experience and the comfort of the bedroom and communal rooms. The residents lounge was particularly nice with a well stocked library and board games. Not that we had chance to play them or to read as the weather was hot and sunny.
Roger was a star and what he didn't know about the Scillies probably isn't worth knowing!
I can't wait to return.
My only, slight, criticism was the price. £200 per room per night for two in June is a bit on the high side in my opinion. Saying that if I could afford it I'd be back tomorrow.

1  Thank Budeangie
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have never been to the Scillies before while my partner has been several times and she is always saying how wonderful the islands are. So the weather forecast was good and we booked at short notice. We chose St Mary's Hall mostly on the basis of their website and menu. We took the boat across from Penzance - I get seasick in the bath, but luckily it was very calm - and from the quay it is just a short ten minute walk (amble) to the hotel. From the outset, I knew we had made the right choice. You approach the hotel through the pleasant front garden. The main hotel is, as its title suggests, a Hall in the mansion sense. Inside most of the original features have been retained which creates a good ambience. Inevitably the old house has had to be extended to create the hotel, but this has been done to a high standard and the bedrooms and bar are smart and comfortable. We opted for the breakfast and dinner package as we had a lot planned during our stay and didn't want to be rushing out in the evening to find somewhere to eat after a long day. Anyway, the sample menu looked quite presentable. In fact, the menu changes every day according to what fresh ingredients the kitchen can get hold of. This in itself is a good sign, but nothing prepared us for the quality of the end product. In a word, stunning. Seriously, if you don't stay at the hotel do try and book a table for an evening meal. It is quite possibly the best restaurant on the island. On top of that, all the staff were lovely. Nothing was too much trouble, but we weren't over fussed. And the same at breakfast. The scrambled eggs and smoked sea trout is something else. And finally, Roger, the deputy manager, has to be mentioned in dispatches. Helpful, knowledgeable about the islands and, if it's humanly possible, he will sort it for you. So, to sum up, the hotel is smart but casual, has a wonderfully calm atmosphere (in keeping with the islands) and a restaurant that on its own makes the journey worthwhile. We will be going back. Soon.

3  Thank Stephen2505
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As part of a self catering deal we had a 10% discount on dinner including wine. The welcome was tepid as the staff seemed overwhelmed and we had to wait a significant time at the bar to order a pre dinner drink. Once in the restaurant service improved marginally which was a shame because the staff seemed to be doing their best, however the food was excellent, freshly prepared and most was locally produced.
In short very good food spoilt by so so service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends