“A happy community of employees”

The White House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Herm
England
“A happy community of employees”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We were enchanted by Herm. The peace and tranquility of the island and the hotel were not what we anticipated, but we were very happy to be engulfed in the charm of Herm's way of life.

Without wishing to embarrass the staff too much, we cannot praise the accommodation and cuisine highly enough - but it goes much deeper than that, as the staff were amazing in their friendliness and willingness to be helpful in every way. I suppose it is wrong to single out particular members of staff, but I will. I'm sorry that I do not know all the individual names, but certain staff members excelled in their friendliness, like the New Zealander in reception, the Assistant Manager (Jennifer?) in the dining room, and the two waitresses in the bar - one Hungarian and one Swedish - who seemed to be permanently smiling and enjoying their jobs. The list goes on, with the two Canadians; and the waiters in the dining room were also equal matches to their female counterparts.

What a real pleasure it was to find such a happy community of employees, in such a beautiful place.

Room Tip: We were happy to be in an annexe (Harbour Cottage), rather than in the main hotel, but this may not...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
You have just made my day with both your unique headline and your kind comments.

I was moved by your feedback, I have taken real pleasure in passing on your comments to all of the team. The team members you described were delighted to have received personal mentions. I am also pleased that you had thoroughly enjoyed the accommodation and cuisine whilst staying with us.

I do hope to welcome you and your friends back to the White house Hotel in the near future.

Mr Siôn Dobson Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We took our daughter, son-in-law and their three little boys for two nights. Excellent staff, food, rooms and facilities. Pool could have been larger and warmer (sea seemed warmer), shame the Bank Holiday weather was its usual dreary self. Boys complained that the pool was cold and usually they are not fazed as we live on Jersey.
We would recommend the hotel and island as a good place for a relaxing family get-together, but not cheap.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thanks for the review.

I am delighted that all the family had an enjoyable stay at the White House Hotel.

I do understand how you found the pool to be a tad cool, as it is heated via sonar panels. Unfortunately, due to the poor weather we had experienced, we did not see enough of the sun to heat the pool, however I do commend you all for braving the sea!

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Herm soon.

Sion Dobson Jones
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Very surprised by the last review - we spent two nights at The White House (nearly 25 years since I was there last) and enjoyed every minute. Weather was not great but still enjoyed, the whole island experience and found a sheltered spot at Belvoir Beach where we managed to grab a few rays!

Food in the hotel was excellent and breakfast was good - a complete selection avaialble including a home made museli which was delicious.

Certainly the hotel is very traditional and the rooms reflect this but we had room 34 with a balcony and lovely views over the harbour and a room that was much bigger than many 4 * hotels I have stayed in previously.

There is no doubt - we will return to the White House - maybe a week next time. Partly due to the island, partly the hospitality of the White house and partly the people who made our stay so good.

Room Tip: Worth the money to have a balcony - mermaid cottages are fine as long as you don't mind a 2 minu...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Firstly, I love the island and the people/staff are great - really helpful and friendly. I think it’s great that the rooms have no 'mod cons' like TVs as it really helps you to switch off and relax. And I appreciate the island has to run from its own power/water supply so not fussed by the lack of power shower etc - which I think helps add to the special feel of the place.

However, the room we stayed in (room 34 in the mermaid cottage section of the hotel) was drab, fairly uncomfortable and in drastic need of a freshen up. It was fine as a room (v spacious), but more of a 2* B&B than a fine, grand hotel - especially for what we paid for it.

Secondly, our package included for dinner for 2 nights in the hotels Conservatory Restaurant where ‘dressing up’ is required as it is a special experience. The experience was memorable, but sadly as the food was so poor. We were really looking forward to dressing up & having a good meal. Sadly, our starters were very basic. My surf and turf 'special' main was dry and bland and my partners lobster looked like it had been left under a heater lamp for a good while, tasted of very little and was served on a bed of iceberg lettice and cucumber. Dessert again was poor - we both had the chocolate cake that was, again, very dry, didn’t taste of chocolate and rounded off a meal more fitting to a Harvester than the excellent dining experience we'd been so looking forward to. The b'fast was as bad. Pretty much all our full english was deep fried (including the bacon) so we decided to eat in the mermaid tavern on the island the following night which was much better and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Don’t get me wrong, the hotel isn’t awful. It just really isn’t what it’s made out to be. If it was advertised as a place that seemed to have little investment over the last 20 years, with very basic food but with nice staff and half the price it would be fine.

The island is delightful, sadly, our experience of the Whitehouse hotel was not.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guy B

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was pleased to read that you had a lovely time on Herm and that you thought the staff were great. However, I am disappointed to learn that you thought the standard of cuisine was not to your satisfaction, this is certainly not the norm and I would like to offer you my sincere apologise for this.

If you would like to discuss your comments in person, I can be contacted on siondobsonjones@herm.com, or on 01481 750073.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Herm in the not so distant future.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Only go here if you want to get away from everything in the mad modern world. Relax!!!! Eat amazing food , terrific service. Fabulous walks,sandy beaches with beautiful shells, clifftop walks..... and all this in the drizzle, and mist of Early September so if you get sun it will be even better.

Worth every penny.

Remember to dress for dinner it all adds to the atmosphere.

Room Tip: We stayed in the crows nest which has good views and a small balcony.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Millsee9251

Many thanks for lovely review.

I'm glad our team looked after you well and that you had a fantastic stay at The White House.

The choice of where to walk on Herm is endless; I’m delighted that you were able to enjoy discovering some of them during your stay, even in the rain!

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Herm soon.

bolton
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Travelled here with family for sunday lunch whilst stoppng in Guernsey

Its well worth taking the boat trip across and doing this.

Its a set menu, food is great and really good value for money. Second time we have done this in the last couple of years and will be looking forward to doing again next time im in Guernsey

Guernsey
Reviewed 30 August 2011

As indicated in previous reviews, the rooms could be considered a little dated but they are comfortable and in the case of the family room we had, spacious with the kids in a seperate room and a massive king size bed. The best attribute is the spectacular views.

The pool is nice for an evening drink whilst the kids enjoy a swim and the lounges are comfortable with open fires, nice sofas and help yourself tea and coffee during the morning.

We were particularly impressed with the service by all members of staff. Friendly and efficient and nothing too much trouble. Breakfast was good.

Herm really is a special place and I would recommend a night at the White House as part of any Holiday to Guernsey.

For those with kids, they love exploring the island and I think many quickly get over the fact that there are no TV's and enjoy playing cards, games etc when not 'out and about'.

Although it can seem expensive, look out for late deals as there are good savings to be made.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herm
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa