“A little bit of heaven”

The White House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Herm
Reviewed 30 April 2012

You have to go here to understand the experience of staying in the only hotel on this island with no cars and very few people.
The hotel is wonderful inside and out and has the best views of any hotel I have ever stayed in from vurtually every window. The loacation right next to the beach and facing towards Guernsey could not be better.
The food is absolutely superb and the staff are the best I have seen anywhere.

Room Tip: The best rooms have balconies with sea views to die for. If you want the ultimate room ask for "...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 April 2012

After a break of 6 years (during which we have ticked of some distant countries we wanted to visit) it was with great anticipation - and a little apprehension as to what might have changed - that we renewed our love affair with Herm Island and it's lovely hotel.
Delighted to say that Hospitality Director Jonathan Watson and his team and all those working with the new island 'tenant' have ensured Herm's values and beauty have been maintained without exception.
Speaking with the Hotel General Manager, Sion Dobson Jones, it is clear that quality, service and the personal touch really do still matter in this haven of peace..
This time we stayed in one of the annexe cottage rooms 'Foxglove' which has stunning views through both windows and which has been refurbished to a high standard.
The Quality and variety of food in the restaurant is excellent, as is the service and the views across the water to Guernsey.
It is important to remember that the hotel is a 5 star establishment - although it does not carry this award due to it's adherence to those most relaxing qualities of not having a television and telephone around every corner.
Herm Island and the hotel are unique, and a visitor will will be rewarded with welcome, service, quality and all they need for a most relaxing and well fed holiday.
Please see previous reviews for greater detail - I have no need to repeat their words.
A search on youtube will reveal some excellent videos of Herm.
Try one of the short break offers! Then come back for a week!
Paul & Sue, Christchurch, Dorset.

Room Tip: Ask for sea-facing, or if in an annexe cottage room ask for one in Foxglove or Mermaid.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AroundtheWorldalmost
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Paul and Sue

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback; I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us on Herm Island.

It is wonderful to welcome back regular guests that have not stayed with us for a while, it is a huge compliment to us that you feel that the standards and the values have not changed, even though the rooms/bathrooms/public areas have been recently been refurbished.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at the White House Hotel; however I do hope you will not leave it so long in returning.

Many thanks again,

Siôn Dobson Jones

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I had 20 family holidays on Herm between 1986 and 2001, but through buying a house in southern Spain, did not go back again until 2012. Herm is a tiny island 2 miles off Guernsey in the Channel Islands. It has 50 all-year-round residents swollen to four times that many during the tourist season. Those people use the White House Hotel, several rental cottages or the camp sites. It is difficult to separate the hotel from the island, because it is all one experience.
The island is perfect in many respects, an abundance of wild flowers, cliff walks at one end, sandy beaches at the other; no cars, no phones, no TVs, just total switch-off.
But there is a pub, The Mermaid, and the hotel has 44 rooms all to a good standard and super-friendly attitudes by all of the staff.
The restaurant is really 5-star. The food is superb,but for those with simpler tastes there are several other options, the Ship (joined to the hotel) has its own menu and the Mermaid serves good pub grub.
There is a tiny supermarket for those in self-catering; there is an equally tiny medieval church, even one of the world's tiniest prisons dating back to when the island was used mainly for granite quarrying and the workers may have needed to sleep off their hangovers somewhere. The island is steeped in history as well as being beautiful.
Go there....

Room Tip: They are all good, but try to get into the main hotel rather than the annexes.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Snookoafc1
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Annwyl/Dear Snookafc1

Many thanks for you kind and detailed feedback.

I am delighted that you have returned to our stunning little island after a gap of 10 years! I was also glad to hear that you may be bringing the whole family back in 2013 (all 16 of them!).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance with organising the travel/accommodation.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to Herm.

Cofion cynnes/kind regards

Siôn Dobson Jones

Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I visited the White House in August 2011 for our 5th wedding anniversary. We left our children with grandparents & as great foodies were looking forward greatly to it. The hotel & Island are lovely. The gardens of the hotel are a mass of beautiful flowers & we enjoyed the first day immensely, sitting at the front playing cards / scrabble & enjoying a glass of wine. The pool area is also lovely with plenty of seats & loungers. There is also a Tennis Court where you can enjoy a quiet game. The room was very dated but comfortable & had everything we needed. The major let down of the holiday was that the hotel Restaurant was closed the entire visit as there was a wedding reception planned for the Saturday. Quite why this warranted a 3 day lunch time closure is anyones guess. As massive foodies this was a major issue, and the eating experience is a large reason why one would choose this hotel. When i complained i was advised that we could still eat lunch in the hotels pub restaurant which is open to the public so massively crowded with day trippers. Also all the hens & stags were in there drinking and although they were nice people and not lairy it made what is a busy pub in August just impossible. The icing on the cake was on the day of the wedding when guests couldnt use the garden (without intruding) as they served the drinks & canopes there. I fully appreciate that weddings abound in July & August, however i have never stayed in a hotel where they have not warned you at booking or nearer the time that a wedding is on. Indeed not warning guests of the closure of the restaurant is totally unacceptable. This aside this is a charming old worldy hotel. The food at night was amazing (there is quite a surcharge for quite a lot of things (eg. lobster, oysters, scallops, steak) so dont go thinking your not going to spend much as you have booked & paid for evening meal!! We noted that it was also fairly child friendly & we could easily have taken the children if we had wanted to. I think we would probably return, but given the hotels competition in the Channel Islands they really need to step up their communication / professionalism.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bella00Emma
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Sion, the hotel manager was so helpful leading up to our wedding day, thinking of everything and trying to make it as easy as possible. We got married in Guernsey and got the Travel Trident over to Herm, where Sion personally welcomed everyone.
We had our main wedding breakfast in the Marquee which is litterally on the beach and a beautiful setting, it’s a shame the weather wasn’t as kind as Sion offered to drive us around the Island in a golf cart so we could get photos where we wanted as Herm Island is a little bit of paradise.
The food was delicious and was managed so well. The main course was a buffet and I was worried there might huge queues but we need not have worried, everything went so smoothly and the guys that changed the marquee from the lunch to the evening were brilliant, the transformation was unbelievable. We stayed the night at the hotel along with about 20 guests. The breakfast in the morning was great - just what we all needed.
The only downside was the Pimms we had with the canapés, it was very watered down and was very expensive at £900 for 114 people. It just didn’t taste great and I was disappointed, as it was the only negative feedback I had from all the guests, the rest of the day people completely a taken a back how well everything went, it was a truly lovely day and have no reservation in recommending the White House to anyone just not the pimms..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear V and J (unfortunately I am not allowed to use your real names, sorry)

Many thanks for your lovely feedback, I hope that you are both enjoying married life!

I must say that is was an absolute pleasure liaising with your during the build up to the wedding day.

I am delighted that you both had a fantastic day, and that all your guests had enjoyed celebrating your special day with you on Herm.

It is is great to learn that you thought the management of the day was done efficiently and that everybody had thoroughly enjoyed the food.

My apologies once more for the Pimms Cocktail being weaker than expected. This was possibly caused by having too much ice and/or lemonade.

In terms of the cost that you mentioned, I have looked at the invoice, and the figure that you quoted also included the canapés. I'll send you an e-mail with the details.

Thank you again for the feedback, I will look forward to welcoming you both back to Herm Island in the not so distant future.

Kind regards

Sion Dobson Jones

p.s. I have uploaded a lovely picture of you both arriving at Rosaire Steps!

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Herm and the White House Hotel (in the broadest sense) are absolutely wonderful. However, our room (downstairs in the Mermaid cottages annexe) was pretty dismal. 1980s B&Q esque furnishings, shiney mould resistant emulsion, slapdash decorating techniques, melanine bathroom in the bowels of the earth with an 'expellair' which sounds like a small aircraft, holes in the doors where hooks/room number plaques used to be etc etc. All this pales into relative insignificance (provided you don't want to spend much time in your room) given the culinary delights, the excellent service and the location.
These annexe rooms were, in our view, overpriced for the quality of the room compared with the other much nicer rooms available at the WhiteHouse. Just don't get excited about the room and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wilkins0n
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed here as part of a group attending a wedding, so perhaps my experience might be different from when the hotel is operating normally.

Reservations - handled well by Linda, the Reception Manager. Quick responses with all the information required.

Travel Trident - efficient. They kept my luggage and allowed me to do some more sightseeing in Guernsey before taking the later ferry. Bag was in my room when I arrived. Operated on time as well.

Hotel location - nice view of the harbour. It was sunny for all of my stay so that was great! One recommendation would be for the hotel to put directional signs for getting to the hotel, when the tide is low and the boat cant go into the harbour and has to use the other location. A group of us who got off the boat were wondering where to go when we first got off the boat.

It's quite a trek if the boat doesnt go into the harbour and has to use the other location, so those with mobility issues would need to mention that. There are buggies which I imagine could take you.

Room - I had Room 15 in the Ship Inn (not sure if this is usually used as part of the White House hotel stock.). It had a large bed (double?), was spacious enough, had its own iron and ironing board, and was quiet. I didnt like the mattress or pillows too much. No telephone or tv. No problem! That intercom thingy which plays two radio station and you use to call Reception is quite quaint. My heating was not on but once I asked at Reception, it was attended to.

Bathroom - in good enough condition. Did notice a minor repair job needed in the ceiling by the bathtub. Good enough hot water supply and shower strength.

Food - Most of what I had was to my liking. Food is a very personal thing so I wont say I dont understand how somebody could say that the food was not enjoyable. For the starter at the wedding Reception, there was a fish with a crab risotto which was divine. Also the toffee pudding dessert was not too overbearing. I ate too much!

Service - everyone was smiling always. There was a lady who did the tea and coffee and drinks. She had a permanent smile and it was not fake. They didnt always get the finer points of service right (eg poured red wine in the water glass) but they were all very pleasant and happy and so as I was not there as a hotel inspector, it didn't detract from an otherwise pleasant stay.

I imagine when the weather is hot (whenever that is!), it must be a lovely spot to get away from it all.

Room Tip: An upstairs room with a balcony would give you a view and ensure that you dont get noise from people...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LorraineMc
SJONES_HERM, General Manager at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Dear LorraineMc

Many thanks for your detailed feedback of your recent stay with us.

It was an absolute pleasure to welcome all the wedding guest’s to the White house hotel to share in the happy couples special day on Herm Island, especially the guests, like yourself, who had travelled such a long distance to be with us.

It is very reassuring to hear that your visit was enjoyed, and that all aspects of the stay, from making the reservation, the Herm ferry to food and service delivery was done in a friendly and efficient manner.

I have made a note of your concern regarding the signage at Rosaire steps (low tide harbour). I shall also look into the mattress/pillow in room 15.

Many thanks again for taking the time to compile the feedback, I shall look forward to welcoming you together with your family and friends back to Herm Island in the not so distant future.

Kind regards

Mr Siôn Dobson Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Herm
5 mi away
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!