All reviews muesli comfortable bed electric blankets would stay again bistro saturday microwave motel town toiletries accommodation cutlery
Reviewed 23 September 2018

I stayed here two nights and can say that the rooms have potential but need a bit of TLC. The price is reasonable and the rooms spacious and quiet (so long as the fridge in the room going on and off at regular intervals doesn't bother you).
Personally even with the reverse air con, I was cold as there was no electric blanket and both nights were only a few degrees above freezing. I did find a spare blanket in the cupboard (not super clean just okay) but I hate getting into a cold bed!
I've stayed in quite a few motels in Victoria and would class this as average with the potential to be excellent.
I hope that they fix the lock of my room as it was exceedingly difficult to open and to lock securely. The shower dripped incessantly too. But all these small details could be updated. The trouble is that once the owners/managers let one thing go, then another and another, the place quickly becomes run down.
I wasn't confident in the cleanliness of the doona cover either as it was dark brown and black, crisp white is much more luxurious and looks clean (so long as it is, of course).
I would rate this motel as good but could be more with just a few improvements.
On Saturday there is an excellent local artisan and food market right opposite the motel, well worth a visit. Castlemaine has so many interesting galleries, artisan shops, cafes and walks, it makes it easy to enjoy the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Not what you would expect from a small hotel but the menu and quality of the meals was amazing. Not packed like other hotels but enjoy a mixed atmosphere of typical Aussie pub and quaint dining. We will return!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2018

While a couple of kilometres from the town CBD for a traveller that may not matter. The room was modest but clean. The bathroom area was clean and relatively modern with updated facilities. Toiletries were of a good standard.
Being attached to a hotel there were refreshments facilities and also the restaurant if desired. The staff were pleasant.
Internet worked well and the TV had several channels not that these were important to us.
On a cold winters night the heating worked well as did the electric blankets.
Breakfast was better than some - cornflakes, muesli, toast etc with fruit as a bonus.
Also a good selection of cutlery including wine glasses. Microwave and hairdryer rounded out the extra facilities.
All in all a good value deal if you are wanting a modestly sized but quite well equipped place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm R
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here one night on the spur of the moment and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The room was really clean and cosy. The bed was lovely and comfortable. Our room included continental breakfast which was really nice.
We ate at the bistro here. It was Mexican night and the food was great.
The gentleman at the front counter was very friendly and accommodating and the lady that cooked the food was very lovely and friendly also. They genuinely care about the people staying there and eating in the bistro.
We would stay there again definitely if we are in Castlemaine.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2018

There were 15 of us and we had queen rooms, family rooms and twin rooms. The accommodation is beautiful and very spacious. I would highly recommend staying here and its only a short distance to the main street. Loved it. The staff were very accommodating and friendly..

Room Tip: Loved the queen front room :)
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends