“A Gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bremer Bay
Quaalup Homestead Wilderness Retreat
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I sleep so deeply at Quaalup. I keep coming back here and will continue to do so. June was my third visit to Quaalup. This time with a friend and my son. We saw the whales at Point Anne....amazing. I was concerned we would be cold at that time of year, but Karin and Carsten have put heaters in the accomodation now....and that made it cosy.
The first time I visited, a couple of years ago, I stayed in a double unit near the Homestead with my partner. I had such a good time then, that next, I brought my father (who was visting from England) to Quaalup, in January. My kids came too..."wait till you see this place...its amazing...there are plants, and birds, and creatures..you dont see anywhere else...and theres this emu, she'll go on walks with you..." ..I told them. The kids weren't that keen but my Dad was, he loves nature. So we drove to Quaalup.. dust flying over the corrugates. We stayed in the chalet that time. At one point after we'd unpacked and shaken the road off us, the sun was just going down..we stood on the patio area and we were all completly silent ( even the boys, who'd been bickering and moaning all afternoon) transfixed...it was as if we'd just woken up to the life in th bush all around us. Edna (the emu) was strutting nearby, several kangaroos and their joeys were foraging through the pig-face that rambled across the ground in front of the chalet. A handful of black cockatoos flew and screeched overhead...something rustled in the scrub. All sorts of bird calls surrounded us....We all got goosebumps. It was a magic moment....Quaalup is full of them and I just love bringing my family and friends here to experience it.
We got a 'flat' I suspect due to the extreme corrugates in January and couldn't get the wheel nuts undone, but Karsten came to the rescue! The road is MUCH better now.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Upon arrival at the gate, my gaze was drawn to a very natural and native looking driveway which eventually took a 90 degree turn whereby I was faced with a tired looking decades old two storey brown house. My gaze darted to the historical homestead further to the right; however, it quickly reverted back to the ugly two-storey house which dwared it. I was quickly met by Carson who appeared both friendly and helpful. He showed us to the camping area, which seemed a bit confusing as there was obviously no organisation or plan to it, but I appreciate that it is a 'wilderness retreat' and is going for the natural look. I set-up camp and took a break to take in the natural beauty of the place only to sit there staring at a massive 7 meter fishing boat with dual outboards parked in the camping area. It didn't belong to any of the other campers, so I can only guess that the owner of it was in one of the chalets and didn't want it interrupting his view of the 'wilderness retreat'. There was significant rainfall while I stayed (just bad luck); however, it did highlight the lack of suitable shelter in the camping area...one fibreglass roofed shelter, one delapidated shelter with a shade-cloth roof which probably should be torn down and replaced, and one plastic gazebo style shelter that leaks. I could have looked past this if there was a cosy evening camp fire to sit around and chat with other travellers; however, there wasn't! The abloutions were clean; however, they are in urgent need of TLC. The door to male shower doesn't close; the light switch in the communal washing up area is a push timer type; however, it only gives about 45 seconds of light and after I went back and forth about ten times pushing the button and trying to wash the dishes, I eventually just gave up and washed them in the dark. Standing there in the dark drying my plate and looking through the rain at that bloody ugly two storey brown house I could see that Carson was burning a fair few watts with lights on every where in the house (no timers on his I bet!), and I could also see that he had a nice fire up on his balcony...with nobody sitting at it. A sign on the main gate offered tea/coffee/cake etc; however, it was not mentioned on arrival and it was not clear if this was still extant...didn't look like it. The place is in a good location though and you can get to a variety of spots even with Fitzgerald River NP restriction in-force.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SNK212
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Have stayed twice at Quaalup - once in an onsite unit for a week during summer and once as on overnight stop where we pitched a tent in October.

Karin and Carson are terrific people and I take my hat off to them for investing lots of time and genuine care into reestablishing Quaalup.
Quaalup is ideally located in this wonderful national park - it has all the necessities while remaining unspoilt.

Yes Quaalup is fairly rustic - and that's its attraction.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Karin and Carson went to great efforts to upgrade this place. All solar power so there are no generators to disturb the peace. It is so lovely and peaceful in amongst the wilderness. If you like to get away from it all then you won't be disappointed. Karin and Carson are friendly, helpful hosts. Campsites, onsite and some rooms. One chalet. Wildflowers, bushwalks, rivers, bays and beaches. The quiet little town of Bremer Bay is not too far away where fuel and supplies can be obtained. A nice pub with a reasonable restaurant and motel type accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Terrific for nature and bird lovers. Hosts are top folk!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 18 November 2010

If you want to visit the Fitzgeraldt National Park (which has a huge range of wildflowers and beautiful scenery) Quaalup Homestead is the place to stay as it is so close and convenient for trips into the park, especially the western side. The original Homestead has been restored but isn't used for accommodation. However, the history of the homestead and the surrounding land is very interesting and the range of wildflowers we came across during walks nearby were amazing. There is a wide range of accommodation provided, mostly older style units and caravans with solid annexes, but all were clean and tidy and much more charming than a featureless motel room. Some cabins and camping areas were situated in their own little pockets of bush for real peace and quiet and would appeal to both couples and families with children. As we were only there for one night our friends, my husband and I arranged to have dinner and breakfast provided. The meals were served in the original homestead. In the evening, for dinner, the fire was burning, candles were lit and mood music playing in the background as we enjoyed a pre dinner drink in cosy chairs by the fire. A delicious three course meal was cooked and served by Karin and Carsten, then we were left left to sit by the fire for as long as we liked. The continental breakfast could not be faulted with a very impressive range of food on offer, especially when you consider how far it is from the nearest supermarket and the cost of the meals was very reasonable.. The meals and the atmosphere in the homestead were the highlight of our stay and are something we will always remember. I would recommend anyone staying at Quaalup Homestead to book for a meal, but this has to be done three weeks in advance as the owners don't go to town very often.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Quaalup homestead is in the Fitzgerald National Park it provides basic clean accommodation from self contained to onsite vans to campsites. I used a campsite (no power other than lighting and computers) . It is isolated and that is its appeal it is not located near resorts or close to major centres the nearest small town being Bremer Bay or Jerramungup.

It is an ideal location to access the Fitzgerald National Park, climbs, walks, biodiversity or to access the coast (4wd required) for fishing, kayaking etc.

It is as its name says a "Wilderness Retreat"

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo