“In agreement with "An Acquired Taste"”
Review of Quaalup Homestead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bremer Bay
Quaalup Homestead
Perth Australia
“In agreement with "An Acquired Taste"”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in a unit which was clean but had lots of quirks, power, water, gas fridge which took a day to be functional and then became a freezer. It put out so much hot air it made the room warm during the cold nights. The tariff was fair for what was provided but I kept finding myself irritated by a variety of things eg I was going to BBQ but the BBQ was cob webby and icky and I just didn't feel like cleaning it up, mismatched crockery and cutlery(petty but it was symptomatic), using a kettle to boil water to wash the dishes but the kitchen sink tap was salt water, I thought the salt water might wreck the kettle so had to get water from the weird rainwater tap in the bedroom. Two days was enough. Fitzgerald National Park is amazing and the nature walk near the accomodation was a good introduction to the flora of the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Torvie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Quaalup Homestead is a great base from which to explore the riches of the Fitzgerald National Park. We stayed in a self-contained unit that had everything we needed - gas stovetop, fridge, bathroom, comfortable bed, and good crockery and cutlery! Not to mention a veranda to sit on for an evening glass of red. And a visiting emu. But what we were there for was the surrounds. The wildflowers in the Unesco-listed Fitzgerald River NP are astounding - more species here than in the entire British Isles - and Karin and Carsten's nature trails are a great introduction to the diversity of the area. This is the domain of the spectacular Royal Hakea and Scarlet Banksia, but they are just the figureheads for a stunning array of flowering plants great and small. The selection of articles in the folder on our dining table included a great intro to the variety of soil types and environmental niches that arise from the unique geology of the region. And it's not just flowers! There are nearly 200 bird species in the region, from the Wedgetail Eagle to the tiny Sanderling. All this bounty is spread across some of the finest scenery you'll find in Australia. Peaks of white quartzite. Beaches of shimmering white sand. Headlands of stark granite, washed by the crystal turquoise waters of the Southern Ocean. Carsten is a rich source of local knowledge and came up trumps for us every day. The best beach to cool off on a 36C day? The easiest way to get to Point Hood? What chance of seeing a whale or a sealion at Point Ann? Ask Carsten and he'll have a mudmap for it. Take your GPS but don't rely on TomTom - we used the 'PDFMaps' app on a GPS-equipped iPad with downloaded geo-coded PDF maps from Geoscience Australia. Take your walking boots and binoculars, your bathers and the sunscreen, and don't forget the Aerogard, the bush flies are becoming a bit of a pest as the weather warms up into spring. Above all take your curiosity and your sense of adventure. We'll be back...

Room Tip: This is a wilderness retreat, not a city hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jim C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

It's remote, quirky, definitely not four star accommodation, but a completely charming, educational and authentic solar powered travel experience.Our welcome from hosts, Karen and Karsten, German nature lovers who restored and rebuilt this ecologically sensitive place, was genuinely warm and enthusiastic. They shared their knowledge, lent us books and binoculars, picked up on our passion for wildflowers and birds, and at day's end, served excellent home-made 3 course candlelight dinners. We loved their nature walk, seeing roos with joeys close up, engaging their delightful people-friendly emu Edna, venturing to see whales, leatherback turtles and dolphins at Point Ann, and seeing and learning about masses of unique wild flowers, including the Quaalup Bell. Not a telly or aircon in sight, but carolling magpies, chirpy birds, star filled skies and blissful quiet a plenty. Magic!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Denmark, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I sleep so deeply at Quaalup. I keep coming back here and will continue to do so. June was my third visit to Quaalup. This time with a friend and my son. We saw the whales at Point Anne....amazing. I was concerned we would be cold at that time of year, but Karin and Carsten have put heaters in the accomodation now....and that made it cosy.
The first time I visited, a couple of years ago, I stayed in a double unit near the Homestead with my partner. I had such a good time then, that next, I brought my father (who was visting from England) to Quaalup, in January. My kids came too..."wait till you see this place...its amazing...there are plants, and birds, and creatures..you dont see anywhere else...and theres this emu, she'll go on walks with you..." ..I told them. The kids weren't that keen but my Dad was, he loves nature. So we drove to Quaalup.. dust flying over the corrugates. We stayed in the chalet that time. At one point after we'd unpacked and shaken the road off us, the sun was just going down..we stood on the patio area and we were all completly silent ( even the boys, who'd been bickering and moaning all afternoon) transfixed...it was as if we'd just woken up to the life in th bush all around us. Edna (the emu) was strutting nearby, several kangaroos and their joeys were foraging through the pig-face that rambled across the ground in front of the chalet. A handful of black cockatoos flew and screeched overhead...something rustled in the scrub. All sorts of bird calls surrounded us....We all got goosebumps. It was a magic moment....Quaalup is full of them and I just love bringing my family and friends here to experience it.
We got a 'flat' I suspect due to the extreme corrugates in January and couldn't get the wheel nuts undone, but Karsten came to the rescue! The road is MUCH better now.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Upon arrival at the gate, my gaze was drawn to a very natural and native looking driveway which eventually took a 90 degree turn whereby I was faced with a tired looking decades old two storey brown house. My gaze darted to the historical homestead further to the right; however, it quickly reverted back to the ugly two-storey house which dwared it. I was quickly met by Carson who appeared both friendly and helpful. He showed us to the camping area, which seemed a bit confusing as there was obviously no organisation or plan to it, but I appreciate that it is a 'wilderness retreat' and is going for the natural look. I set-up camp and took a break to take in the natural beauty of the place only to sit there staring at a massive 7 meter fishing boat with dual outboards parked in the camping area. It didn't belong to any of the other campers, so I can only guess that the owner of it was in one of the chalets and didn't want it interrupting his view of the 'wilderness retreat'. There was significant rainfall while I stayed (just bad luck); however, it did highlight the lack of suitable shelter in the camping area...one fibreglass roofed shelter, one delapidated shelter with a shade-cloth roof which probably should be torn down and replaced, and one plastic gazebo style shelter that leaks. I could have looked past this if there was a cosy evening camp fire to sit around and chat with other travellers; however, there wasn't! The abloutions were clean; however, they are in urgent need of TLC. The door to male shower doesn't close; the light switch in the communal washing up area is a push timer type; however, it only gives about 45 seconds of light and after I went back and forth about ten times pushing the button and trying to wash the dishes, I eventually just gave up and washed them in the dark. Standing there in the dark drying my plate and looking through the rain at that bloody ugly two storey brown house I could see that Carson was burning a fair few watts with lights on every where in the house (no timers on his I bet!), and I could also see that he had a nice fire up on his balcony...with nobody sitting at it. A sign on the main gate offered tea/coffee/cake etc; however, it was not mentioned on arrival and it was not clear if this was still extant...didn't look like it. The place is in a good location though and you can get to a variety of spots even with Fitzgerald River NP restriction in-force.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SNK212
Perth
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Have stayed twice at Quaalup - once in an onsite unit for a week during summer and once as on overnight stop where we pitched a tent in October.

Karin and Carson are terrific people and I take my hat off to them for investing lots of time and genuine care into reestablishing Quaalup.
Quaalup is ideally located in this wonderful national park - it has all the necessities while remaining unspoilt.

Yes Quaalup is fairly rustic - and that's its attraction.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Karin and Carson went to great efforts to upgrade this place. All solar power so there are no generators to disturb the peace. It is so lovely and peaceful in amongst the wilderness. If you like to get away from it all then you won't be disappointed. Karin and Carson are friendly, helpful hosts. Campsites, onsite and some rooms. One chalet. Wildflowers, bushwalks, rivers, bays and beaches. The quiet little town of Bremer Bay is not too far away where fuel and supplies can be obtained. A nice pub with a reasonable restaurant and motel type accommodation.

• Stayed March 2011