“Fun, Frogs and Delicious Bread!”
Review of Windrose B&B

Windrose B&B
Ranked #5 of 17 Denmark B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Fun, Frogs and Delicious Bread!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Nice, clean rooms with water conscious options. Each room as a theme, and interesting glass inserts with environment motifs in the floor. My husband and I stayed for one night, and had nice rest and delicious breakfast.

There are lots of interesting frog themes and information at this B&B which make it quirky and fun. Anna bakes fresh bread in the mornings with a continental breakfast or cooked breakfast options. A great place for couples and nature lovers. Anna gave us great advice on local hiking trails and waterholes, as well as a lift in her car to them!

Great place to stay. Nice, welcoming hosts. I would come back and recommend to a friend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 10 February 2013

A last minute booking was very easy. Plenty of info given on arrival. You are welcomed like you are an old friend, and it's a genuine welcome from the happy people running this place. Breakfast = awesome! High quality food and plenty of it. interesting wildlife, and very convenient location. Thanks very much Anna and Matt, we will be back next time we visit Denmark.

ps. I love that you run this place with the environment in mind.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My husband and I came to stay for two nights and would have loved to stay longer. We were greeted with a very warm welcome and had some lovely conversations with Anna, Matt and their kids (their daughter was so kind to even find us some frogs at night). The rooms are clean and comfortable - we had the forest room which also contained some interesting info on frogs. At night the frogs are surely the main attraction: a beautiful chorus of frog calls (3 different types at the time) sang us to sleep. After a good night sleep an excellent breakfast awaited us: homemade, warm bread, eggs any style you like, good quality sausages, bacon, fruit, yoghurt, muesli...etc… and fairy wrens hopped around our feet while we ate outside. Matt offered to drive me to the beginning of a 3 hour walkway, so I could enjoy the walk (without wondering how to get my car back) which ends close to the Windrose B&B. All in all - spot on - thank you all for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Great value and rooms are lovely with a pond outside. We also loved the trampoline!
Breakfast was ace and kept us full all day! Great place near the beach!! The wineries are amazing nearby too. Highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Where do I start? Firstly, the towels are so old and hard, they actually hurt your skin when drying off! Better bring your own toilet paper or be prepared to ask for more. the breakfast is nothing special and you'll have to wait for things to be restocked because everyone eats at about the same time so the fruit salad and yoghurt is the first to go. Never seems to be enough of anything, bowls, knives and the fridge is only a bar fridge so it's far too small for the 8-10 guests that can stay at any one time.you can tell the heart is not really into the place as living room is dirty and dusty and disorganised, which is unusual foe Germans? So truthfully there is little time, energy and money put into this place and it is showing its age. I wouldn't stay here again and there is a feeling of awkwardness that everyone feels while staying at the Windrose, it's just not going to have you feeling comfortable and certainly doesn't compare to the standards of other places in the same price range.

Room Tip: It won't matter what room you stay in you will be able to hear other people having a shower or g...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John U
Windrose_Denmark, Manager at Windrose B&B, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Hi John, thanks for taking the time to rate our property.
Some of the points you cared to mention might be valid and I will endeavour to improve. Obviously it was unfortunate that you came in the busiest week of the year. If you had talked to me you might have found that there are simple solutions to any complaints you might have had.
Anyway, I had a lovely chat with your wife and just quote here what she wrote into our guest book: "Thank you for a great stay! Amazing breakfast, kind people and great frog sounds at night. Elijah, John and Danielle"
So while you are of course entitled to your point of view, it is definitely not true that everyone feels awkward at Windrose. I have too many nice comments from people to believe that.
Have a wonderful new year.
Anna
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

A friend and I booked into the Forest Room for 2 nights over the Queen Birthday weekend - the room was minimal but clean and comfortable; I enjoyed two good nights sleep. Each room is decorated differently and ours had the "Forest Theme" which included photos of flora and fauna on the walls and chocolate frogs placed on our pillows. This room appears that it could be used by Disabled Persons - the bathroom is clean, very roomy and includes support rails.

We thoroughly enjoyed the warm hospitality that Anna and her family provide. Unfortunately my friend broke her toe during our journey from Perth to Denmark - Anna was able to provide her with Arnica cream and pain relief. Besides being passionate about her frogs Anna has some interesting stories of Denmark and its history; she can also advise you of the good places to eat or visit. (Ask her to tell you about the Monastery.)

My friend and I were impressed with the lovely home-cooked breakfast which includes several types of bread, including home-made sunflower seed bread that Anna makes fresh each morning, a plate of salami with cheeses, cereals, oatmeal, orange juice, yoghurt and fresh fruit. Anna also offers her guests eggs cooked to their liking, bacon,and German Sausages (Bratwurst and Debreziner).Breakfast is relaxed and so enjoyable - a wonderful way to start the day.

At the end of the day we spent several hours in the common room chatting with other guests and enjoying some TV. Coffee and tea are provided, but a bottle of wine and some good cheese and crackers really hits the spot. On the first night the weather was cold but Anna made sure we were comfortable and stoked the wood burning fire several times; she kept a good eye on us without being intrusive. She has a gift of making people feel cared for and is a thoughtful and sensitive hostess.

Denmark being a country town lacks the road lighting that a city girl like me is used to when driving at night. After returning from dinner at the Denmark Tavern it was dark and we found it difficult to find the driveway - in fact we passed it up. A lower B & B sign would make your light more effective, adding some reflectors or changing to a white flag would help to your guests better ID the entry.

Thank you Anna for a lovely, restful weekend. We hope to come back for another visit in the not too distant future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Babs_DownUnder
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

It was difficult to decide on a rating for Windrose B&B. In many respects I wanted to give it a 4-dot rating but in reality, I have to be objective about my review and base it on comparisons with other establishments I've stayed in and on what I expect for the price-bracket.

The positives of this property:
- The host was extremely welcoming and clearly loves running her B&B
- The location is quiet, peaceful and relaxing
- We found cute little chocolate frogs on our pillows on arrival
- It was homely, rather than a big chain motel
- The breakfast is to die for
- Guests are more than welcome to while away the hours in the common room

The elements of the property that were average:
- The walls were thin; we could hear the guests two doors down speaking
- The beds are spring based with relatively thin mattresses; slat frames would have been quieter and offered less sag

All-in-all, this was a good B&B. My average rating is a high average. The Windrose is a homely and welcoming B&B in a peaceful and relaxed location with an amazing host.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Windrose_Denmark, Manager at Windrose B&B, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review.
I am happy that you appreciate our efforts to make our guest's stay as comfortable as possible and take pride into our breakfast. Thank you also for your comments about the walls - it was your next door neighbours that you heard, I appreciate that it can annoy some guests. We are looking now into insulating the walls further so that we won't have any more problems with that. Thank you very much for initiating this renovation! We will also look into buying new mattresses.
Kind regards and thanks again
Anna Ramrath