“Very popular spot”

Price range: US$18 - US$34
Cuisines: International
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Whalers Licensed Restaurant is located amongst the landscaped gardens of the Exmouth Escape Resort. We offer the perfect relaxed dining experience to complete your visit to Western Australia's world famous Ningaloo Reef. Liz Minniear and executive chef Paul Minniear have owned and operated Whalers Restaurant since 2007. In early 2014 they moved the restaurant from Kennedy st to the Exmouth Escape Resort where they can now offer a more comfortable, modern and lush setting for their diners' pleasure. They continue to pride themselves on fresh, honest flavours and source the finest local seafood, steaks and produce available. Live music is a regular feature at the restaurant with solo or duo acoustic acts playing on the deck while you enjoy your meal. Whalers also caters for functions including Weddings, birthdays and business functions which can be catered for off site or at the restaurant.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had booked this restaurant as we were staying at the Novotel Ningaloo resort and Whalers is walking distance (for us- it's about a 3klm round trip) from the resort. We had to wait for our table but the service improved once we were seated, the restaurant is quite popular. It overlooks the pool and is very pleasant, good range of dishes, BYO wine and not too expensive (the North West can be quite expensive). Probably the best restaurant we ate at during our stay.

2  Thank Bill252

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great meal had read about it on trip adviser was not disappointed seafood chowder was fantastic friend had Penang curry seafood really good all of us enjoyed our food went twice

1  Thank Maureen W
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My partner and I shared the fried crocodile and garlic bread. The crocodile was juicy and well seasoned, and the garlic bread seemed to be fresh and absolutely delicious. The entrees/appetizers came out very quickly.

We then waited 40 minutes between appetizers being cleared and mains.

My main was the twice cooked pork belly. There was no issue swapping out the mash potatoes for veggies. The veggies were fresh and perfectly cooked. The pork crackling was nice. The pork belly itself was good - but the crispy top was so sticky I was surprised I had my filling still intact! My partner had the confit duck and really enjoyed it. The chorizo and dates were an interesting flavour combination.

We had to try the banoffee for dessert. My partner loved it but I wish the bananas used were a bit more ripe - as they tasted a bit unriped. The compact cookie base and toffee were very yummy, and the whipped cream was light and lovely.

The pricing for the coffee was a bit weird. It was the first time I saw a long black cost more than a flat white, and a flat white to be priced differently to a latte. It's negligible, but odd.

The service was good - a balance between attentive and laid back. The decor on the deck was great. So classy and comfy. Definitely try to sit outside if you can. The inside does lend itself to being noisy due to the high ceilings.

The restaurant is BYO. I do not remember seeing corkage on the menu - but it was $3/person.

This restaurant would not be out of place in Perth.

1  Thank HAGustin
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had the seafood gumbo and the fish special of the day. The gumbo is very nice with lots of mussels, fish pieces, prawn and charizo. The best is the crispy soft shell crab on top. The fish special of the day is almond crested locally caught snapper with a very nice salad of greens, orange, almond, pine nuts and various other bits and pieces. Goes wonderfully well with the fish. Just wish the helping is bigger as we are very hungry after walking at the National Park with only energy bars and trail mix for lunch.

1  Thank starfire888
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Took us a while to track it down as it's moved from a site in town to being within one of the resorts (exmouth escape resort, I think).

Really very, very good. Was doing busy service when we walked in but we were happy to wait for 15mins and the staff were lovely and friendly. Great menu and brilliant food. Lovely location as well and heaters (which were quite handy after dark in July!). Would definitely recommend!