“Lovely stay”
Review of Sea Breeze Resort

Sea Breeze Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here one night on holiday and had a lovely stay. It is a unique location being the renovated naval headquarters. The staff were very friendly and helpful. In some ways the accommodation was very well equipped, such as a large fridge, great cooking utensils and crockery and a lovely couch, but in other ways it was lacking, as there was no freezer (needed to freeze ice packs to put in esky to keep things cool in car) and no space to hang anything or put anything out of the way, such as bags etc. Some well thought out racks or hangars somewhere would have helped our stay a lot. I visit Exmouth fairly frequently for work, but would not stay this far out of town for a work stay, but it is great to be located a little closer to the main tourist sites in the National Park when on holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AxelExmouth, Owner at Sea Breeze Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your review and may I explain that we did some trial runs with Fridge Freeze Units and the fishermen misused the freezer for their bait and fish etc.... We do offer a free freezing service at reception and have a free to guest freeze next to the BBQ area which any one can use.
We are 5km from the town center compared to the Novotel 3.5-4km. So if you are happy to be in town for your work accommodation that is fine with us and thank you for giving up a try for your leisure stay. Maybe at some stage you do reconsider and chose us for your work stay.... we would appreciate it. Kind regards
Axel

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Sea Breeze resort in Late May and the hotel itself was good. We found the room (executive studio on top floor, room 4C) to be large and well equipped, with a comfy bed and good shower. Large Fridge in the room but no freezer (would've been handy to freeze water etc for day trips) and we foind ours to be very quiet.

We would however like to be a little closer to town so that we can walk to restaurants - as metnioned by other posters the hotel does provide a shuttle however it only leaves at 6.15pm and comes back at 8.15pm, which is great if you like eating your dinner early but that's not for us. You also had to let reception know by 4pm on the day that you wanted to use the shuttle, we were never back from exploring in time so again not really something we could use.

The staff were a standout and went above and beyond to help us, thank you to everyone for being so attentive. Quite expensive however all hotels in Exmouth are and I think this one is prpbably neo f the better ones in terms of value for money. All in all if the shuttle etc. works for you then this is a good place to stay; we however would stay closer to town next time in either the Osprey Apartments or either of the caravan parks.

We did pop into the Novotel for a cocktail (so didn't see the rooms) and the hotel looked absolutely lovely. It was also a little way out of town but if you can spare the cash it is definitely worth considering.

1  Thank JeanniesDiary

Thank you for your contribution and review. We fill a unique market niche in the accommodation market in Exmouth. Unfortunately we are unable to provide an individual taxi service. Most people dine early in WA and the Dinner Shuttle can be booked well in advanced and even later. But the risk is that it is either fully booked,( we have now a 14 seater Van and an 8 seater Tarago), or we do not have any staff scheduled as there were no bookings. It usually works in well with restaurant bookings as they are very busy and it is almost required to book a table or miss out.
Other Hotels make the most of a captured audience and their pricing is accordingly. Thank you for pointing out that we are offering the best value for your money.
I hope that you will find a more suitable place to accommodate your personal needs better, next time you will visit this amazing region. If not we will be happy to have you back any time.
Kind regards Axel

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Sea Breeze Resort in Early May of 2014. The property was great, the hotel room was very comfortable and spacious. The pool was nice and the breakfast was reasonably priced and very good. We didn't have any problems with damp or mold, and the staff was AMAZINGLY helpful in every way, from making dinner reservations to actually driving us into town when we missed the shuttle!

I agree with some of the previous reviews about actually calling this a "resort," as there are no restaurants, bar, or any other amenities typically associated with a resort, or anywhere nearby. (I'm from the US so I may have a different idea of what the word "resort" entails.) It is really more of a hotel or motel feel.

The only thing that set me back a little bit was that I didn't make accommodations to rent a car while I was there. When I booked the hotel, on the website they mentioned their complimentary airport shuttle, and one of their lines was "why rent a car to drive all that way when we can pick you up?" I liked the idea of being able to look at the countryside while we were getting to the hotel, aside from my anxiety of driving on the other side of the road (!) but before we reached the hotel the shuttle stopped at a rental car place! I told the shuttle driver that we hadn't rented a car and she looked at me gravely and said "you need a car, the property is 5km away from town . . . " so we went in and there were no cars available to rent, and the next day we had our whale shark excursion (which made anything that could possibly have bothered me during this stay completely unimportant) so we ended up renting the car for our last day there, for quite an expensive price - $89 for the day. It was actually fun, and the town is very small so it's a great place to get used to driving on the opposite side (if you need to). We took the car out to Turquoise Bay, which was absolutely gorgeous and well worth the drive.

We booked the shuttle back to the airport for the next day, and there was a bit of a mix up and I was worried that we would miss our flight, but the attendants at the check in gate were very nice (Qantas) and allowed us to check in a few minutes late.

All in all, this was a great location, but I would recommend booking a car in advance from the airport and just making the drive yourself. This way you can be in charge of your own return to the airport as well. It would probably be cheaper, too.

There are other places to stay in town, but they are much more expensive, and unless you are planning to spend long amounts of time inside your room, I wouldn't recommend paying the extra money.

Thanks Sea Breeze!

Room Tip: We stayed in 5D, no problems at all
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joey B

Thank you for your review and we are sorry for the delay in getting you to the airport. This was a rare occasion and due to a delayed flight, which messed up our schedule. However, we disagree with your conclusion to get your car at the airport and that it is cheaper. Our packages offer the best value for your money and the highest customer service. We thank you for pointing out that you need a car, but in our opinion you will gain no advantage by staying in town. We certainly try to find the line you were quoting and change it. We can not make it clearer YOU MUST HAVE YOUR OWN TRANSPORT in this location to enjoy what it has to offer. As in my previous replies, may I explain again that the legal terminology in Australia in regards to Hotel, Motel and Resort is different to the rest of the world. Hotels and Motels must have a Liquor License, while Resorts have to have an additional range of services. Due to the fact that we do NOT have a restaurant and liquor license, we are unable to call ourselves Hotel or Motel. Again, thank you for the review and we will change a few things around to prevent future misunderstandings. Kind and sunny regards Axel Passeck MD

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Sea breeze and having looked round the standard rooms decided to stay in the superior room as the lower quality rooms were just dire. Out dated and musty - their way of basically forcing you to upgrade…

Problem 1 - Internet. This was basically the deciding factor why we stayed at the resort. We had important emails to send back home and having not had any signal for days this would have been perfect. 1st night we didn't bother raising the issue as we were knackered. 2nd night it took constant reminders and gentle nudges ending in us requesting to move room for a better signal as we concluded that we were too far away from the router. A change of room fixed this problem.

Problem 2 - We came in knackered and sodden from our whale shark experience wanting a shower and to jump in to bed. We came in to the room and it hadn't been made up at all. No clean towels and an unmade bed. Now we aren't the most fussy and demanding people in the world ok maybe the cleaners had missed us or something but when we informed reception, as I feel constructive criticism is always good, we were told that 3 or 4 star whatever don't get rooms made up in Australia (When i know for a fact this is utter rubbish as I have stayed in many hotels across Oz)

Problem 3 - THEFT !! Long after leaving the place the final straw and reason for writing this review was that $820 was unlawfully taken from my account. The reason being 'scratched worktop.' When i phoned to challenge this and ask what it was about I was put on to an obnoxious, unprofessional bully. I asked for proof in the means of photographs which he got defensive about, threatening to charge me another $2000 because apparently he was being ‘kind’ and not charging me the “full amount” when all i was asking for was to verify his claims as no inspection was made upon departure. I know for a fact that we didn't make any scratches in the work surface as my partner made the dinner and using a chopping board has been instilled in to him since childhood

All in all the way they went about it was totally wrong. I did not leave a bond and was not asked to. If this was brought to attention upon leaving then i would have accepted it. I just feel that they wanted to change the worktop and they used us as they know we are travellers and won't be going back to Exmouth and that I don't have insurance on a debit card. You may have a wonderful stay but if something happens that goes against the grain then you will be met by an unhelpful dishonest weasel.
I had to take all my money out of my account and open a new one due to his threats of charging me more. I eventually got some photographs out of him and the scratches looked as if a carcass had been butchered on the work surface. There was no way we had produced these marks and if we did we would have held our hands up. We cleaned up after ourselves and would have noticed the marks then if we weren't conscious of making them beforehand.

And obviously he is going to reply to this message with some smart yet polite comment masking his true colours but fact of the matter everything was handled the wrong way and with a disgusting attitude.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are musty, smelly and dated. The upgraded rooms are lovely but loud appliances an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lauratheexplorer27
AxelExmouth, Owner at Sea Breeze Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

We thank the "Explorers" review posted a full 12 months after their stay (June 2013 on the eve of the best Whale Shark Season ever), at the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort.
We acknowledge the "Explorers" reported WiFi connectivity problem, which we were able to temporarily fix for them. Happy to advise reviewers that the system has shortly after their visit been upgraded and any prior internal connectivity difficulties have been completely eliminated.

At this point we seek to bring to the attention of all those reading the "Explorers" comments the following facts, that a reasonable person may perhaps, not unreasonably, come to a conclusion are somehow connected.
Our responses here are based on our daily control records and staff reports.
(1) At the time of making the booking in person the "Explorers" were most reluctant to provide credit card details. It was only when pressed "that credit card details were a condition of all bookings" that a credit card was begrudgingly provided.
(2) We agree with the "Explorers" that the referred bench top had been "butchered". According to our records this had occurred some time between the "Explorers" occupation and their departure from their studio. The actual cost of replacing the bench top was around $2,000.00, significantly greater than the very generously discounted $820.00 subsequently billed to the "Explorers".
(3) Staff were excluded from servicing the "Exploring Lovebirds" studio during their stay due to the "Do Not Disturb" sign being placed on their studio door.
(4) The "Explorers" departed the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort without checking out at reception.
(5) On checking the "Explorers" registration card details, after their departure and after the discovery of the damage to the bench top in their studio, it was discovered that they had not provided "ANY" forward contact details to enable follow-up contact. The only recourse reasonably open to the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort was to bill, what is considered to be a very generously discounted portion of the cost of damage inflicted on the Resort's property, onto the only contact information available, the "Explorers" credit card. (Note: the quality control oversight regarding guest contact details have since been addressed)
We wish this couple all the best in future Explorations.
Axel

Reviewed 3 June 2014

As per previous reviews, accommodation is simple, but more than adequate for our stay. Rooms were spacious, kitchen facilties were good, bathroom was clean and shower pressure was excellent.

We booked a package, with whale shark tour, car hire, transfers to/from the airport and a basic, but satisfying breakfast each morning.

We will definitely return next time we visit Exmouth. Thank you to Sina, Lynn and everyone else that helped us to organise a fabulous long weekend away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andinjon

Thank you for your review and we agree that we are recovering fast from the dramas of the May storm and floods. The building will never win any awards, as it was never designer to be pretty. It is functional, strong, solid, quiet and like I always compare it, like "SHREK" a big Ogre, a bit ugly on the outside but a big heart with a helping character. Even if we could we would not move the resort closer to town. We enjoy our wildlife, our quiet nights and our freedom here on the historic Naval Base. We are the place who supports you to see what Ningaloo Reef and the Cape Range National Park has to offer, not to take advantage of a captured audience. Hope to see you back soon! Axel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Calling this a 'resort' is a bit of a stretch but it is an original and comfortable place to stay. But that is all.
A two story building which was part of the United States Naval Base it has been completely renovated. The rooms are comfortable but basic (we had an "Executive Studio" on the upper floor - no lift). No balcony, which is a pain if you have towels and swimming gear to dry.
The "common areas" at the entrance to the groups of rooms are not very useful and are a problem; you need to use your keycard to get into that area and then again to access the room itself. If you forget your keycard (we are only given one which is odd for a couple), there is no way that the person in the room can hear you. The nearest house phone is in reception.
It is 5 kilometres north of the town and there are no restaurants in the area. When coming from the town the sign is on the wrong side and the light was not working - after dinner the first night we drove right past the place and went up to Yardie Creek Road to turn around.
A couple of the lights in the room (3B) were not working. The shower works well but leaks very badly, so that after a minute there is a lot of water on the floor. Two tiny tubes of shampoo were provided, but were not replaced the second day. Soap works!
There is a free shuttle bus to go into town and we used it for dinner the second night. Practical, but you have to like the schedule they propose - out at 18:15, back at 20:15.
The receptionist (and bus driver) was helpful but not very friendly.
Next time we will stay at the Novotel or in one of the hotels in town.

1  Thank dcb99

Thank you for your detailed review and yes we agree, after loosing all our sails in the recent storm/ flood disaster, the resort looked a bit sad. May we explain to our valued guests and TA users that in Australia a Hotel has to have a Liquor License, a Motel in addition to be able to park in front of your room door and that a lodge is usually a low budget name. When we started our business 16 years ago we did not have a Liquor License and you simply can not park in front of all our rooms. With all the extra facilities available at the time, ( tennis courts, 25m swimming pool and the most amazing Gym ) we chose the name Resort. We do not make a secret out of it that we "recycled" a former US Chief Petty Officers Quarters and are the first and only ones in the world to do so. We are unique and are very proud of what we have achieved. I am sure that the US servicemen would have appreciated a lift and balcony too.... Fresh beach towels are available at any time from reception and there is a large cloth line behind reception. We are sorry to hear that our free services did not work in with your personal schedule. We hope that you will find a more suitable accommodation next time you visit but maintain that you will find no better customer service and value for your money. Kind and sunny regards Axel Passeck MD

Reviewed 29 May 2014

3-6 May 2014

Whilst both myself and my partner appreciated the effort that had gone into renovating the accommodation, we left with the feeling that a lot more work needs to be done. Despite the new interiors ('executive' studio) it is clear that this building has a major problem. This is based on our own experiences and confirmed by a few previous comments on other Tripadvisor (TA) reviews.

Whilst the building might be cyclone proof it is certainly not waterproof. The fact is, this building leaks badly when it rains and suffers from damp even when the interiors are not flooded.

We stayed in room 3B - executive room, upper (first) floor. Our second night was wet and windy. Nowhere near as wet & windy as the weekend before our arrival, but a bit of a downpour. At 11.30pm we found that the bedroom carpet nearest the window was soaking wet. It was wet the full width of the room.

The first alternative room we were offered (3D - south facing) had a dry carpet but absolutely stank of damp/mould. I rejected it. We were finally moved to a room next door (3A). That smelled less damp and the carpet was dry. The bed felt damp, however, and we later found a strong smell of damp/mould in the cupboard under the sink.

Interestingly, we were not shown to room 3C (north facing). I asked the manager if there was likely to be water on the floor in there too and she said 'yes'. We were told by the manager (Nadja) that night, and also when we checked out two days later, that both rooms had leaked the week before during the previous heavy rain. She said that those leaks were not as bad as the wind was from a 'different direction'. I checked weather stats. In fact the wind direction and speed were the same on both occasions. From the north, gusting 45 mph. So we had been put in a room that had been flooded the previous week. No attempt had been made to fix the leaks. The carpet had simply been dried out for the next guest.

I don't find this acceptable.

Next morning I went back into room 3B to check we'd removed all of our belongings the night before. By then, HALF the room's carpet was soaking wet. And I mean REALLY wet. This was on the upper floor, so water was getting in either through the aircon unit or windows or both.

On making enquiries (both the manager & cleaner) it appeared that every single room, on BOTH the upper and ground floors, that faced onto the entrance road (north) had the same problem. That's at least 16 rooms. If the rain came in from the north, the water got in (somewhere) and soaked the carpet. Only the rooms on the pool side (south) of the building had remained dry, even though room 3D, which is poolside, smelled appallingly of damp.

Now I can't believe that this problem has only just arisen. Given other comments mentioning the damp/musty smell (May 2013 & others), this has been going on for over a year, possibly longer. As I told the manager, damp smells don't just appear after a brief wet spell.

And this is not damage caused by the stormy weather. The leaks and damp were already there. The rain simply highlighted that the premises is not water tight during heavy rain.

Something that no-one else has mentioned on TA -
The aircon units are on 24/7 in all rooms when they are empty. The story being that the electricity is being supplied by the Navy base and their generator is producing too much electricity and that they use every means possible to burn it up. Yes, you can turn the aircon off when you move in. You would have to. It is uncomfortably cold otherwise. And noisy. As are the bathroom extractor fans (see previous review).
But the manager told me that the aircon units are also being used as extractor fans to remove the dampness from the rooms. I'm not sure that this is logical. You need dehumidifiers, not cold rooms and extractor fans.

More importantly, fix the source of the damp and the leaks. Don't just treat the symptoms by trying to dry out the rooms between guests and hoping that it doesn't rain again. It did rain during our stay and rained again after we left.

And finally - at 2.30am on our last night, I was woken by a loud crash. I switched on the bedside light to find that a wall light had fallen off the wall onto to a wall mounted mirror (see pic). Given that the wall light was heavy, (3 spotlights) I guess it was lucky that the mirror didn't break. I didn't sleep much after that. I was more than a little annoyed.

Oh and the state of the bathroom floor in room 3C was pretty appalling too. All the floor grouting was black (mould?) except for one area where bleach had apparently been spilled, which was white as a consequence (see pic). This was not water discolouration of the grouting. The floor was dry. It is at least an indication of poor cleanliness (dirt), at worst another symptom of a general damp problem (mould).

All in all a rather stressful stay. Two nights out of three, our night was disturbed.

And the owner's response?

1. No rooms were flooded the week before 'as the rain came down vertically with no wind'.
Not true. I checked the weather stats. It was the remnants of cyclone Jack that hit the previous week. Whoever heard of a tropical storm with no wind? Also, the manager told me on TWO occasions that rooms had been flooded the week before and that 3B specifically had simply been dried since then.

2. Next, that it was 'impossible' for the light fitting to fall off the wall.
Implying what? I broke it myself? At 2.30am?

3. And finally, that the mould in the bathroom is not mould, it is 'water discoloration'. Again, not true. Let's be clear here. The floor was dry. The bleached area on the floor shows quite clearly that this is at least dirt but, more likely, mould. Far from 'getting scrubbed after each check out' the only reason that some of the grouting was white was that someone had (accidentally?) spilled bleach on it.

I really hate to leave a bad report on any hotel, especially one that has made such an effort to produce reasonable accommodation in an area that sorely needs it, but there are real problems here and I think potential clients need to be made aware of those problems and make their own judgement call.

May-July are the wettest months. There's also the cyclone season. If the room smells damp, I'd complain and ask for another room. Maybe during the long, dry season the damp is not noticeable. I'll never know as I have no intention of staying here on my next trip to Exmouth.

And this negative review has nothing to do with the fact that the weather generally was not great during our stay in Exmouth and that we couldn't access all amenities in our one week here. It is an objective report on how we found this hotel in particular (see also my 4* review of the Novotel, Exmouth - same trip).

I have asked for a partial refund for the inconvenience caused. I doubt we'll get it given the most recent TA review (Tikiland NZ) that people were refused a refund after spending the night in a noisy room and moving out early. We were also on a 'no refund' tarrif. We have been offered $100 off our next stay, but unfortunately there won't be a next stay here. Once bitten, twice shy.

The plethora of good reviews for this hotel was one of the reasons we chose to stay here. Our experience did not support those reviews and we cannot recommend this hotel until the problems mentioned are fixed.

So on our next trip to Exmouth we will stump up the extra cash and stay at the Novotel or rent a modern holiday home in Exmouth.

$250+ a night to stay here, in its current state, is just not worth it.

Room Tip: Stay when you can absolutely guarantee hot & dry weather. The damp might be less obvious then.
8  Thank BATS666
AxelExmouth, Owner at Sea Breeze Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you again for your time to write such a detailed review. We value every feedback from every customer, that’s why we are actively encouraging all our guests with a follow up email to leave us a review on Tripadvisor. We are very proud of our achievements and the recent Award of Excellence by Tripadvisor ( 4th in a row ) and the overall positive feedback from the vast majority of our guests.
We believe that this site is a great tool to receive feedback and to evaluate our services. We have been encouraging guests for many years to use this tool and we have always listened actively to all our guests and their needs.

I enjoy the opportunity to respond to each review personally, this time even for the 2nd time.
Unfortunately, even when we do our very best and do what is right, it obviously doesn’t make everyone happy. In fact, doing the right things often is the very thing that upsets some people.
Emphasizing on other Tripadvisor reviews seems to us, that you are in desperate need of validating your raised points. We have since your review has been posted for the 1st time, actively asked other guest for their opinion and the positive feedback we have received so far is overwhelming! It indicates to us that we certainly do most things right and do not have the issues you are describing and assuming!
However, again we are very sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Sea Breeze Resort.
We understand that the weather during your stay was unusually wet and windy and that you were extremely unlucky to visit Exmouth during this freak storm, only to discover that you couldn’t get out to enjoy all the wonderful beaches and the diving you booked. On top of it, the whale shark experience was very disappointing due to its poor visibility, according to your average review on the tour operator’s platform.
Unfortunately your attempt to get reimbursed for your disappointment did not work out and you must have been somewhat surprised, that we have actively encouraged you to leave us your feedback, instead of settling the disappointment with your requested full refund.
Our Team has carefully examined all points raised, we believe that we have done our very best to make up for the inconvenience caused by this almost cyclonic weather event. The very heavy rainfall combined with very strong winds, was declared as a natural disaster, after entire homes and properties were destroyed by the floods. Again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the water entering your room. I'm glad that you have contacted our Manager, so we where able to move you into a room which was in perfect condition.
We are distancing us from ALL the other accusations made within your review, as we have made our points very clear in previous email contact.
May I point out that our resort is seen as one of the safest buildings in town and that even locals and their families are tending to seek refuge with us during a cyclone. That we cannot always guarantee dry carpets I would claim is self explaining!
Anyhow, we still would like to highlight, that if those points you have raised within the 2nd room were so terrible, why did you chose to stay with us for a 3rd night?
We certainly would have provided a refund, if your points were raised at that time and valid and if you would have chosen to check out earlier.
Your points were raised on the day of check out instead, which seems like complaining about a dish, after the meal has been eaten completely.

May I also point out the timing of your 1st review? While you have reviewed the whale shark tour operator straight after the tour, it is somewhat unclear to us, why you have waited to receive a refund first, before you have reviewed us for the 1st time. It is also interesting that you have rated another accommodation provider with 4 stars, although several things weren’t working and didn’t get fixed during your entire stay.
Due to your reviews we assume that our offer of a $100 deposit towards a future booking, has been rejected.

We hope that you will find the opportunity to re-visit Exmouth in much better weather condition and do all the diving and activities you were planning to do.

Axel Passeck