“Great Hotel Service”
Review of Sea Breeze Resort

Sea Breeze Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went to Exmouth to swim with the Whale Sharks and stayed at the Sea Breeze Resort in Exmouth. While it's 5 klms. out from town, the hotel is well placed to visit a number of sites and beaches. Also, the service you receive is second to none. The rooms are well appointed, of a good size and very clean. Nadja, the manager, was more than helpful. At times we didn't need to ask her to arrange something for us, she just did it and asked if we would like to take advantage of it or not. I couldn't have been more pleased or surprised, the service we received here was better than the larger hotels and I should know, I stay in a lot. David Slattery

Room Tip: Our experience at the Sea Breeze Resort in Exmouth was truly excellent. The service was second to n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
AxelExmouth, Owner at Sea Breeze Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you David, much appreciated. I think you experienced our team effort in full swing and what we can do for you if you allow us to help you. You enabled Nadja due to you explaining to her what you are trying to achieve. Once things changed form the operators side, she was able to move your booking to another operator so you were able to enjoy the Whale Sharks. Your holiday move on unharmed and things got taken care of behind the scene without you getting involved or disturbed. End result.... a near perfect holiday with a Whale Shark day out you will remember for the rest of your life. I bet that no other place would have been able to do this. That is where our strength is, not the building presentation or manicured landscaping. We focus on whats best for you, the Ningaloo Experience, a clean studio, fully functional with a team helping in every situation 24/7.
Thanks and see you back soon! Axel

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We took the car and breakfast package which was a good deal. We had a lovely lady pick us us at the airport who gave us a bit of history tour on the way to the hotel as well as restaurant reviews.
The room was clean and comfortable. Front desk were helpful and organised dinner bookings for us. Be mindful that you will need your own car as the airport is about 30kms from the hotel and 25kms from the town centre.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your brief reply! I think you got something mixed up with your distances. We are 5km north from the town center of Exmouth, 55km to Turquoise Bay in the Cape Range National Park, 40km to Learmonth Airport ( LEA ) and 30km to Tantabiddi boat ramp, where the Whale Shark Operators take off from. Just to inform other future guest of some distances they have to deal with when they get here. Again, thx for the review and hope to welcome you again. Axel

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights on the whale shark diving package. i was happy with the airport pick-up and the rental car office. they were very friendly and the car was in good condition. hotel itself was clean and comfortable. i wouldn't pay for the breakfast if it's not a part of your room deal, as it isn't anything to write home about. like everyone says, you do need a car, if you want to see more than the tiny pool in the garden.. it's not viable to walk anywhere really, and due to the temperature probably not advisable either. (unless you are fit and already acclimatised). my room was very nice and very clean. (apart from the box for storing food, but since you are requested to do the dishes when you leave, i am guessing the previous guest should have cleaned the container). bathroom was especially nice, and the bed as well. (one of the more comfortable ones during my holiday).
i was lucky and only encountered one cockroach during my holiday, and it was in my room here on the last morning. staff were very helpful, laundry was also affordable and there were enough machines to go around. plus i very much appreciated the chance to hang my clothes in the gentle desertbreeze, rather than put them in a dryer. (didn't take long to dry either, and they were not in direct sunlight).
i would recomment this hotel, but as a general recommendation for exmouth i don't think it's an ideal destination for a single traveller.. as i didn't really encounter many people that were keen on hanging with strangers and felt rather lonely at times. 4 days was enough here! exmouth is generally expensive, so if you are looking to save, might have better luck in one of the camping sites :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that you felt lonely. I can only put this to the current situation of some additional Mosquitos, which does take the fun out of the BBQ area at night. Normally it is quite the opposite, people meet in the common areas, in the BBQ area and mingle and share their information and experiences. The situation is improving on a daily base as the moisture from the recent floods disappears. This weather event was quite unusual. You need a car so you are able to visit the National Park and the amazing things Ningaloo Reef has to offer.
Coming from Switzerland I know what you mean about the Breakfast. We are from Germany and in the first days we have the most amazing platters, small goods, nice bread and thrown it all in the bin! The Breakfast we offer is what is required and requested here in Australia. Sorry that we did not meet your expectations but the coffee is great and certainly on par with the quality in Europe!
I hope you will enjoy another say with us at some stage under different weather conditions and meet as many like minded ( divers ) as you expected. Kind regards Axel

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here one night on holiday and had a lovely stay. It is a unique location being the renovated naval headquarters. The staff were very friendly and helpful. In some ways the accommodation was very well equipped, such as a large fridge, great cooking utensils and crockery and a lovely couch, but in other ways it was lacking, as there was no freezer (needed to freeze ice packs to put in esky to keep things cool in car) and no space to hang anything or put anything out of the way, such as bags etc. Some well thought out racks or hangars somewhere would have helped our stay a lot. I visit Exmouth fairly frequently for work, but would not stay this far out of town for a work stay, but it is great to be located a little closer to the main tourist sites in the National Park when on holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and may I explain that we did some trial runs with Fridge Freeze Units and the fishermen misused the freezer for their bait and fish etc.... We do offer a free freezing service at reception and have a free to guest freeze next to the BBQ area which any one can use.
We are 5km from the town center compared to the Novotel 3.5-4km. So if you are happy to be in town for your work accommodation that is fine with us and thank you for giving up a try for your leisure stay. Maybe at some stage you do reconsider and chose us for your work stay.... we would appreciate it. Kind regards
Axel

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Sea Breeze resort in Late May and the hotel itself was good. We found the room (executive studio on top floor, room 4C) to be large and well equipped, with a comfy bed and good shower. Large Fridge in the room but no freezer (would've been handy to freeze water etc for day trips) and we foind ours to be very quiet.

We would however like to be a little closer to town so that we can walk to restaurants - as metnioned by other posters the hotel does provide a shuttle however it only leaves at 6.15pm and comes back at 8.15pm, which is great if you like eating your dinner early but that's not for us. You also had to let reception know by 4pm on the day that you wanted to use the shuttle, we were never back from exploring in time so again not really something we could use.

The staff were a standout and went above and beyond to help us, thank you to everyone for being so attentive. Quite expensive however all hotels in Exmouth are and I think this one is prpbably neo f the better ones in terms of value for money. All in all if the shuttle etc. works for you then this is a good place to stay; we however would stay closer to town next time in either the Osprey Apartments or either of the caravan parks.

We did pop into the Novotel for a cocktail (so didn't see the rooms) and the hotel looked absolutely lovely. It was also a little way out of town but if you can spare the cash it is definitely worth considering.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeanniesDiary

Thank you for your contribution and review. We fill a unique market niche in the accommodation market in Exmouth. Unfortunately we are unable to provide an individual taxi service. Most people dine early in WA and the Dinner Shuttle can be booked well in advanced and even later. But the risk is that it is either fully booked,( we have now a 14 seater Van and an 8 seater Tarago), or we do not have any staff scheduled as there were no bookings. It usually works in well with restaurant bookings as they are very busy and it is almost required to book a table or miss out.
Other Hotels make the most of a captured audience and their pricing is accordingly. Thank you for pointing out that we are offering the best value for your money.
I hope that you will find a more suitable place to accommodate your personal needs better, next time you will visit this amazing region. If not we will be happy to have you back any time.
Kind regards Axel

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Sea Breeze Resort in Early May of 2014. The property was great, the hotel room was very comfortable and spacious. The pool was nice and the breakfast was reasonably priced and very good. We didn't have any problems with damp or mold, and the staff was AMAZINGLY helpful in every way, from making dinner reservations to actually driving us into town when we missed the shuttle!

I agree with some of the previous reviews about actually calling this a "resort," as there are no restaurants, bar, or any other amenities typically associated with a resort, or anywhere nearby. (I'm from the US so I may have a different idea of what the word "resort" entails.) It is really more of a hotel or motel feel.

The only thing that set me back a little bit was that I didn't make accommodations to rent a car while I was there. When I booked the hotel, on the website they mentioned their complimentary airport shuttle, and one of their lines was "why rent a car to drive all that way when we can pick you up?" I liked the idea of being able to look at the countryside while we were getting to the hotel, aside from my anxiety of driving on the other side of the road (!) but before we reached the hotel the shuttle stopped at a rental car place! I told the shuttle driver that we hadn't rented a car and she looked at me gravely and said "you need a car, the property is 5km away from town . . . " so we went in and there were no cars available to rent, and the next day we had our whale shark excursion (which made anything that could possibly have bothered me during this stay completely unimportant) so we ended up renting the car for our last day there, for quite an expensive price - $89 for the day. It was actually fun, and the town is very small so it's a great place to get used to driving on the opposite side (if you need to). We took the car out to Turquoise Bay, which was absolutely gorgeous and well worth the drive.

We booked the shuttle back to the airport for the next day, and there was a bit of a mix up and I was worried that we would miss our flight, but the attendants at the check in gate were very nice (Qantas) and allowed us to check in a few minutes late.

All in all, this was a great location, but I would recommend booking a car in advance from the airport and just making the drive yourself. This way you can be in charge of your own return to the airport as well. It would probably be cheaper, too.

There are other places to stay in town, but they are much more expensive, and unless you are planning to spend long amounts of time inside your room, I wouldn't recommend paying the extra money.

Thanks Sea Breeze!

Room Tip: We stayed in 5D, no problems at all
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joey B

Thank you for your review and we are sorry for the delay in getting you to the airport. This was a rare occasion and due to a delayed flight, which messed up our schedule. However, we disagree with your conclusion to get your car at the airport and that it is cheaper. Our packages offer the best value for your money and the highest customer service. We thank you for pointing out that you need a car, but in our opinion you will gain no advantage by staying in town. We certainly try to find the line you were quoting and change it. We can not make it clearer YOU MUST HAVE YOUR OWN TRANSPORT in this location to enjoy what it has to offer. As in my previous replies, may I explain again that the legal terminology in Australia in regards to Hotel, Motel and Resort is different to the rest of the world. Hotels and Motels must have a Liquor License, while Resorts have to have an additional range of services. Due to the fact that we do NOT have a restaurant and liquor license, we are unable to call ourselves Hotel or Motel. Again, thank you for the review and we will change a few things around to prevent future misunderstandings. Kind and sunny regards Axel Passeck MD

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Sea breeze and having looked round the standard rooms decided to stay in the superior room as the lower quality rooms were just dire. Out dated and musty - their way of basically forcing you to upgrade…

Problem 1 - Internet. This was basically the deciding factor why we stayed at the resort. We had important emails to send back home and having not had any signal for days this would have been perfect. 1st night we didn't bother raising the issue as we were knackered. 2nd night it took constant reminders and gentle nudges ending in us requesting to move room for a better signal as we concluded that we were too far away from the router. A change of room fixed this problem.

Problem 2 - We came in knackered and sodden from our whale shark experience wanting a shower and to jump in to bed. We came in to the room and it hadn't been made up at all. No clean towels and an unmade bed. Now we aren't the most fussy and demanding people in the world ok maybe the cleaners had missed us or something but when we informed reception, as I feel constructive criticism is always good, we were told that 3 or 4 star whatever don't get rooms made up in Australia (When i know for a fact this is utter rubbish as I have stayed in many hotels across Oz)

Problem 3 - THEFT !! Long after leaving the place the final straw and reason for writing this review was that $820 was unlawfully taken from my account. The reason being 'scratched worktop.' When i phoned to challenge this and ask what it was about I was put on to an obnoxious, unprofessional bully. I asked for proof in the means of photographs which he got defensive about, threatening to charge me another $2000 because apparently he was being ‘kind’ and not charging me the “full amount” when all i was asking for was to verify his claims as no inspection was made upon departure. I know for a fact that we didn't make any scratches in the work surface as my partner made the dinner and using a chopping board has been instilled in to him since childhood

All in all the way they went about it was totally wrong. I did not leave a bond and was not asked to. If this was brought to attention upon leaving then i would have accepted it. I just feel that they wanted to change the worktop and they used us as they know we are travellers and won't be going back to Exmouth and that I don't have insurance on a debit card. You may have a wonderful stay but if something happens that goes against the grain then you will be met by an unhelpful dishonest weasel.
I had to take all my money out of my account and open a new one due to his threats of charging me more. I eventually got some photographs out of him and the scratches looked as if a carcass had been butchered on the work surface. There was no way we had produced these marks and if we did we would have held our hands up. We cleaned up after ourselves and would have noticed the marks then if we weren't conscious of making them beforehand.

And obviously he is going to reply to this message with some smart yet polite comment masking his true colours but fact of the matter everything was handled the wrong way and with a disgusting attitude.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are musty, smelly and dated. The upgraded rooms are lovely but loud appliances an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lauratheexplorer27
AxelExmouth, Owner at Sea Breeze Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

We thank the "Explorers" review posted a full 12 months after their stay (June 2013 on the eve of the best Whale Shark Season ever), at the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort.
We acknowledge the "Explorers" reported WiFi connectivity problem, which we were able to temporarily fix for them. Happy to advise reviewers that the system has shortly after their visit been upgraded and any prior internal connectivity difficulties have been completely eliminated.

At this point we seek to bring to the attention of all those reading the "Explorers" comments the following facts, that a reasonable person may perhaps, not unreasonably, come to a conclusion are somehow connected.
Our responses here are based on our daily control records and staff reports.
(1) At the time of making the booking in person the "Explorers" were most reluctant to provide credit card details. It was only when pressed "that credit card details were a condition of all bookings" that a credit card was begrudgingly provided.
(2) We agree with the "Explorers" that the referred bench top had been "butchered". According to our records this had occurred some time between the "Explorers" occupation and their departure from their studio. The actual cost of replacing the bench top was around $2,000.00, significantly greater than the very generously discounted $820.00 subsequently billed to the "Explorers".
(3) Staff were excluded from servicing the "Exploring Lovebirds" studio during their stay due to the "Do Not Disturb" sign being placed on their studio door.
(4) The "Explorers" departed the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort without checking out at reception.
(5) On checking the "Explorers" registration card details, after their departure and after the discovery of the damage to the bench top in their studio, it was discovered that they had not provided "ANY" forward contact details to enable follow-up contact. The only recourse reasonably open to the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort was to bill, what is considered to be a very generously discounted portion of the cost of damage inflicted on the Resort's property, onto the only contact information available, the "Explorers" credit card. (Note: the quality control oversight regarding guest contact details have since been addressed)
We wish this couple all the best in future Explorations.
Axel