“Quaint & Memorable”

and 1 more site!
Old Miners' Cottages B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Northampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We booked on the recommendation of a friend who had stayed, suggesting it would be a nicer alternative to staying in Gerladton on our way to/from Shark Bay. We were warmly greeted by Heidi and David upon arrival, who showed us to our room. As we are a couple plus one teenager, we booked Unit 1, with a private bedroom and a sitting room with a pull-out sofa bed.
The accommodation is very clean and tidy, with everything laid out nicely. The decor is an homage to years gone by, with WA, local and international memorabilia in every corner. It felt like staying in the home of a dear Aunty and Uncle.
The cottage has another accommodation room, which I think is for a single/couple, as there is no separate sitting room. There is a very large bathroom with shower and bath, and a separate toilet. The bathroom/toilet is shared by all occupants, there are no ensuites. (there are locks on all the doors for security) There is also a large kitchen and dining area where breakfast is served, and the fridge/freezer, microwave and kettle can be used by anyone at any time.
A wonderful, large veranda is perfect for sitting out and watching the sun set over the garden. Plenty of seating and tables are perfect for conversations and board/card games. And a real delight is the B&B's dog, who is so friendly!
As for our room itself, the sitting room converted into a bedroom. There is a telly and a wood stove with plenty of wood just outside the door. The bedroom has a large bed, cupboard space, overhead lighting and bedside lamps. Lots of extra pillows and blankets available. The bed is incredibly comfortable (and warm, which was great for us as we stayed in the winter).
Breakfast is something to behold -- french pressed coffee, a selection of exotic fruit juices, cereals, toast and crumpets, fresh fruit, yoghurt... all beautifully laid out.
As for dinner, we highly recommend the pub across from the convent. In the lounge, you can order dinner off the regular menu or the 'special' board. A local resident highly recommended passing on the specials as, though they are just $10, the portions are small. So, we went for chicken parmagiana with chips and salad. WOW! A huge feed for $22. So good we ordered it both nights we stayed in Northampton!
During your stay at OMC, you would be remiss not to spend some time chatting with Heidi and David, who are world travellers, musicians, historians and, quite simply, lovely people.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of space, book Unit 1, which has a separate sitting room to the bedroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aprilinsydney

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I visited this place with my mum in Mar 2012 but it was such a bad experience that it stayed with me. The room was dark and dingy as the light bulb was barely bright enough to see by. Temps remained high overnight and as there wasn't AC it was hard to sleep not to mention the mozzies which nearly ate us alive. Cockroaches and spiders scurried in corners and I didn't want to look too hard at the cobwebs.
We could have done without being 'served' breakfast but the innkeepers seemed to want hover to ensure we don't finish off their breakfast items. And when I made an observation about a strand of hair floating in the flask of milk, they were snarky about it and insinuated that I put it there. Hygiene was obviously not at the top of their list as I valiantly tried to ignore the dust on the cutlery I was eating off. I didn't DARE say anything else lest I offend the innkeepers. My mum spent such a miserable night and we checked out as early as we could. I had stayed in $17 hostels much cleaner and pleasant than this.
Middle of nowhere and I only stopped as it was at a convenient distance from my destination.

Room Tip: Both rooms as amazing hot
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank malyee
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I agree with both of the other reviews, this is a lovely stop-over if you are heading up north to Exmouth or Monkey Mia, its only an hour out of Geraldton and offers a much more personal experience than a hotel. The owners are wonderful and very friendly with many tales to tell.
Its peaceful and if you are lucky, you may get the place to yourself like we did.

If you like the holiday inn, dont come here as it will dissappoint you, but if you prefer a more relaxed, country style welcome with beautiful surrounds and a nostalgic feel you will love it.
Evening meals are available in Northamptons three pubs, all of which are very good fayre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is a unique B&B, providing a lovely and peaceful stay and I can't wait to return next time I'm going to Kalbarri or further north. The previous review has given a pretty thorough overview of the details. I would add a few small extra thoughts:

- Sunset on the veranda is wonderful. Bring a bottle of wine, which you can chill in the fridge and something to eat from a local restaurant or IGA.
- Breakfast is pretty much the best continental breakfast one could hope for and we enjoyed ours on the veranda as well, in the warmth of the early morning sun. It included local fresh fruits and preserves
- The cottages are quiet and peaceful. The shared restroom down the hall didn't bother us at all despite having co-occupants down the hall.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kampalasean
Reviewed 31 August 2009

This B&B is a bit of a mixed bag and might not appeal to all travellers but for a stopover it represents good value with a friendly welcome and has plenty of character. Set on a fairly large plot, it is situated in a quiet location – peaceful and tranquil after a long drive. The cottage is divided into two bedroom units opening onto a long verandah. The kitchen/diner and bathroom are shared should there happen to be other guests at the same time - I can’t say if this would disrupt the peacefulness experienced as we were the only occupants, but the toilet is situated separately on the other side of the bathroom. If someone else was using the bathroom you’d have to go out through one of the other doors and walk around the building and then come back in to get to the loo.

Tea, coffee and milk are complimentary and there is a fridge, microwave and toaster available for personal use. Breakfast is served according to your preferred schedule and a good continental spread is laid on with plenty of choice and good quality products including locally made preserves and fresh fruit. The owners certainly take a lot of pride in providing for their guests in the morning and maintaining the historical eccentricity and individuality of the cottages in terms of style and furnishing. In some ways, it reminded me of my great-grandmother’s house, way back when, though herein lies some criticism.

Although, the linen is fresh and the place is generally clean, it has a certain ‘musty’ character redolent of an older generation who can’t quite be bothered with contemporary standards. This comes across through the copious cobwebs and hoarded magazines and tired soft furnishings that might make you wish they’d have a clear-out and a good spring clean. However, this is partly what makes it such a character-filled abode and, comparatively speaking, this is similar to the feeling one might get looking back at their great-granny’s house with nostalgia.

Overall, I’d say that Northampton offers a reasonable alternative to nearby Geraldton as a stopping place if you’re driving up or down the west coast. There’s not much to the place but there are a couple of eateries, as well as the odd shops and church that are worth a quick look. As for the Old Miners’ Cottages themselves, I’d say that of all the places I stayed in WA this was the most special because of its character and quasi-museum style. It is attractively priced and has perhaps the fairest tariff system I’ve ever encountered based on occupancy and the age of additional children.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family