“Good Snooze”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Walpole
Sawyers Valley
“Good Snooze”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Being shoulder season we were able to book into this motel as we travelled slowly back to Perth after a three day sojourn in Albany. We choose this motel as our first preference as we stayed there with a group of field naturalists that we were leading around WA in 2004. We were pleased to find that it still had a high standard of accommodation and the hosts were very pleasant and exceedingly helpful. The eveninf meal was excellent.

Room Tip: The configuration would make all rooms quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dellej2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Terrigal, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Our initial contact with this motel, as is the usual, was through our reception at the office. We were met, unfortunately, by a very abrupt, but not rude, person at the desk. She immediately set the tone for our stay here, and obviously other reviewers have had the same, if not worse experience.
The room itself, although small, was adequate and we had no concerns about cleanliness. The extra bed, for our daughter, was very uncomfortable and whilst we expressed concerns about staying the second night, which we had booked, our reception lady was emphatic that if we moved on we would be charged the extra night. I really don't have a problem with this, after all they do run a business, however it was the attitude and tone that didn't impress.
We had dinner at the motel's restaurant on the first night. We only had a main course which took an hour to arrive at the table.
On a positive note, the meals, overall were very good, my seafood risotto was exceptional.
Accommodation in Walpole is limited. This place was a last resort in terms of accommodation in the area. Book early as I am sure there are better options in Denmark.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Phillip8789
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We are from Melbourne and came to Walpole thinking it was a bigger place than it is. I wanted to go on to Denmark but as we were going to the Valley of the Giants tree top walk it made sense to stay here. $145 for a couple not a bad price it was clean and comfortable and it was just a nights sleep. We went to the restaurant for dinner which was a little on the dear side but we have found all of WA like that. I had the scotch fillet steak which was lovely but a bit sinewy in parts but it was huge with a stuffed capsicum portion on top scalloped potatoes and beans which were all tasty. My husband had Seafood Risotto (one of the best he has had) and an apple crumble with ice cream he absolutely loved the food. The owner was a little gruff at first but as we started to talk with her she mellowed and was lovely. She had lost her husband and even though she didn't say a thing I could feel she was struggling with that. People are selfish and maybe some of these bad reviews of her were at this time. Hospitality is very difficult and we have to be considerate of others. Would definitely stay again an interesting place!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie C
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I sent an email to make a booking from 28 Dec. 2013 to 31 Dec 2013 but received no reply, then I used their online booking and after entering my details including my credit card and hit submit I found that their website is corrupted. I then decided to call them and was told told the hotel is full during the time I've requested. Few minutes later, I asked my wife to call them again and make the booking for 2 days only from 28 to 30 Dec. 2013,. Well, they said they have 3 rooms available and we booked one of them. Upon arrival, I took my 2 and half months old boy and went to the reception to organize the booking. After I gave my name, the lady manager brought my initial email, but I told her I didn't receive any conformation to this email then she got very rude and verbal and put their policy in my face while I'm carrying my little bub. I told her we booked 2 night only over the phone because you didn't confirm our booking. She basically kicked us out of the office and said no booking and no accommodation for us. I noticed after reading reviews in tripadvisor that her reaction is alwways like that, and she was arguing with many other travelers and her workers everyday. I told her that we drove over 450 km from Perth based on their confirmation over the phone and we have a 2.5 months old boy and that's not fair then her husband (manager) asked me to leave the office. I told them I will complain then they spoke to my wife who asked for the Person who took our call. Finally another staff came and brought our orignal booking (2 days), but they never apologize and forced us to book 3 nights otherwise no accommodation. If we do not have our new born boy with us I would camp instead or sleep in the street. I'm not in the process of lodging a complaint about the managers.
Our room wasn't bad, but the sheets were not clean and some have blood or alcohol. The spoons, knifes and forks were all made of plastic coated with silver. You can see scratches in all. For health and safety reasons, we thought they are one-off use so we through them in the bin after we used them, but next day they were again in the kitchen after being washed.
Every morning, you can hear the the lady Manger arguing with either a tourist like us or one of her workers.

Room Tip: Our room was good but the service and the food were terrible.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Sam A

Travellers are raving about these Walpole hotels

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The motel room was spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable there was a pool area but it was a cool night even for December. We wandered down to the local hotel where we met some very friendly locals, had a few drinks plus a lovely dinner in the bistro with a beautiful bottle of local wine. The best place for a good night's sleep as it was as quiet as a mouse all night.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I have just stayed here for the 2nd time, but this time we brought along our 2 sons, their wives and our 2 little grandsons - 3 rooms in all. We were very happy with our stay; the rooms were spotlessly clean and the bed linen of very good quality. We ate in the motel restaurant at night and had a very good meal with decent sized portions which filled us all up very adequately. The children's menu was small but adequate and our grandsons really enjoyed their food! The owner of the motel, Pauline, was very charming, and as well as checking us in etc. she also took our food orders and served our meals - really hands-on and involved in the running if the motel. The motel was a great base for sightseeing in the area and we would have no hesitation in staying there again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Albury, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Came for the Tree Top Walk 15 km up the road. Good sized room and VERY clean (the strong smell of bleach is reassuring I guess !!!) The owner is a lady who pulls no punches but at the same time if necessary is very helpful and caring.
Stayed as part of a group and the "group menu" was not at all inspiring but maybe done for a price. The meals other people were having looked quite OK.
Breakfast was VERY basic and ordinary. One night was enough.
However when visiting make sure you also allow time to do the WOW Wilderness Ecocruise with Gary Muir (reviewed seperately)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends