“Do not stay here!!!!!!”

Add it.
Beach Motel & Cabins
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Whitianga
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Worst accommodation ever!!!! Situated away down the road and around the corner from the office we stupidly didn't view before we paid up front! Got the key, went down and walked in....there was a blood stain on the duvet, pulled back the sheet and there were three black hairs, checked the shower and the floor was black which we thought could just have been a bad stain.....it wasn't, it was pure filth! Went to talk to the owner, Grant, said I didn't want to stay could we have our money back. He offered us another room which I declined as I had no faith in his level of cleanliness. Then he got nasty and said tough! We wouldn't be getting our money back, called for a young guy to go check the room and said go get key off him, we went down to check other room which young guy was cleaning, whole room stunk of exit mold!!!! At that stage we told him we couldn't stay, gave him one last chance to refund us which he declined then left!!!! Worst experience EVER!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank larabell67

Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was the worst value place I have EVER stayed in. The place was filthy - dirt, mould, cobwebs, pools of water in bathroom. The bed was disgusting. The pillowcases and sheets all wrinkled. Looks like they hadnt been changed. The coffee and sugar in containers and were block solid so no use. Tea bags just ones out of a box. Very unhygenic on the bench. Two other couples were there while we were there and they both checked out after one night. We spoke to them and they thought the place was absolutely disgusting. After checking in we never saw the manager. This place is a rip-off. $120 for 2 people. We arrived to check in at the SHED. No-one there, just a note saying phone. We didnt have a phone with credit. So then phoned the number and told to contact Dawn. Who is Dawn? The lady next door.
Service was shocking, accommodation was shocking, isn't even on the beach. Photos on website are just blantant fraudlent.
This has been the worse value place I have stayed. Don't go - unless they really do charge you the appropriate price of about $70.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. You will regret it
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mumton
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Room was ok for the price, kitchen adequate no oven but microwave and hot plates which were a bit slow.
Walls a little thin.
Lots of hot water which was a plus.
A heat pump would be a welcome improvement in the future as it was hot and with the windows open the traffic noise was loud.
Helpful in the office which is signposted.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kathymb
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Although being called Beach Motel, “located directly across the road from the beach” the property is not beachfront, you can’t even see the beach from the units because there is a row of houses across the road blocking the view.

The motel is located away from the main part of town. The front unit we had was large and clean but no soap or shampoo in the dispensers in the shower. The WiFi did not work and the owner was not interested in resolving the problem. It was ok for one night but it needs some TLC from the owners.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank waiheke
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This place charges you the FULL amount of your stay when you make a booking and has no refunds! My 74 year old father made a reservation over the phone thinking he only had to pay a $20 cancellation fee, but was charged $500 immediately!! He tried to cancel almost four weeks before his stay and was told then he couldn't but could make another reservation for another time which he didn't want. This was for my parents 50th wedding anniversary and they don't have money to throw away, so even after a phone call plea, they still refused to refund his money! Heartless, unethical and immoral! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank NChetko
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Photos on the website are not a fair representation of the 'cottage' I stayed in. Smelt so musty & unoxygenated it gave me a headache. Beds & sheets looked like they were 30 years old. Duvet cover was wafer thin (for winter). No soap in bathroom. Gurgling toilet. Heating? It had an elcectric heater the same age as the beds. This place is a backpackers at best. Would not recommend unless you are on a student budget. Needs clean up & cosmetic overall to attract clients. I asked to cancel the accommodation when I arrived but was declined. Was so unimpressed I thought of letting them keep the $95 & still paying another nights accommodation elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Rosco1976
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I made the booking of this accomodation in January, I needed to be in Whitianga on the Weekend of the 5th of march for a friends wedding. I was told they had an available unit but they would only hold it for me if I paid directly into there bank account 1 nights accomodation as a deposit. I found this unusual as I have booked alot of accomodation and have never had to do this before, this should have been my warning bell. I was told it was $95 plus $15 per extra person so I deposited $125. I contacted them a week before to advise we had someone pull out so it would be only 1 extra person, and I was then told very bluntly that $125 was the weekend rate and they still expected that, even though they have a sign outside clearly advertised $95 per night. I advised them that we were leaving after work and that we probably wouldn't get there till 8.30pmish. The manager then said, If that was the case I needed to pay for the 2nd night upfront before we arrived or he wouldn't leave the key out as the office closed at 8pm. I told him I had already paid 1 night up front and would prefer to pay for the 2nd night on Saturday morning, to which he said this was not acceptable and unless he had the second nights accomodation paid into his account he wouldn't leave the key out and the office staff would have gone home, I found him very rude and extremely inflexible. By this stage there was little we could do as he already had $125 of our money, so we duly paid the 2nd night and kept our fingers crossed. (I also made the resolve to post on this site for the very first time as my only recourse and to warn others) Make your own decison as to whether you think this is acceptable behaviour by the hotel owner/manager.

As it turned out the Motel was...... OK. Clean and tidy with no added extras
There was no complimentary milk as is usual (even though there was tea & coffee provided), no soap in the shower or shower dispenser. The walls between the units aren't terribly sound proof. There is not enough off the street parking for all 4 units so be prepared to park on the main road..

We wouldn't stay there again as the booking process was unconventional and stressful.
And I was made to feel unwelcome and distrusted before we even arrived.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family