“Hidden Gem in a hidden valley”

and 1 more site!
Wairua Lodge - Rainforest River Retreat
Ranked #2 of 42 Whitianga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Mid January we stayed for 4 nights in Wairua Lodge in the hidden valley of Coromandel. About a mile off Road 309 the Hidden Valley is perfect for "being away from it all". The lodge and the 5 snug-room's setting in lush forests with streams on both sides give’s you the feeling of being one-with-nature. Our hosts Tam and Charles were very friendly and helpful with information and setting us up in our king-snug room. Breakfast was supplied every evening so that we could stay in our room to our liking in the morning. The two swimming holes in the river, some 50 metres below the terrace were ideal for plunging and there were also hammocks and relaxing chairs.
We used the outside spa but the tree bathroom was out of this world. In candle light with a bottle of wine relaxing in hot water and listening to soft dreamy music looking out to a stream 30 metres below was very, very romantic. We strongly recommend this lodge to everyone who loves nature. Thank you very much Tam & Charles !

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank René R

Reviewed 17 April 2010

Wairua lodge is an amazingly stunning place....we arrived to the loge two hours behind "schedual" and it was one of the most amazing places I have ever witnessed. Driving up to the lodge itself at night left me in awe of what I was expecting to see....it was better then what I imagined and I made a point to tell my man that as we arrived...lol ;O)

Charles came out to greet us as we parked up followed by Tam close behind. Both of them were extremely kind and were sporting welcoming smiles that made my man & I feel instantly at ease.

Charles showed us around straight away as we had arrived at night and he wanted us to settle in (and so did we) while Tam got our breaky (which is well sufficient!) for the next moring to us so that we could eat when WE wanted to and so that they had no need to wake us to hand it to us in the morning. He pointed out all the swimming holes, the spa bath (which was utilsed as soon as the tour was over!..lol) and the tree house bath tub, which was sucha highlight for me let me tell yah! and then took us to our room. We had booked a queen room.......but were UPGRADED to a King!...YEEEEEYAH! which was much more devine. Our queen room was awesome....but our King room was amazingly better and when I go back, I'm booking the King room if not the River lodge so that I can have my family come with us. He showed us the conservatory kitchen (which is so0o0o comfy) and then the range of DVD's on offer to watch as there is no internet and phone lines in the room. You can use the Main Houses phone if need be...but that is one of the selling points for me.....no outside world!. I organised this as acongrats to my man for his promotion at work and he is NOT easily pleased??!!?? so to have him tell me "I dont really wanna leave" almost bought me to tears! and thats saying alot for him.

We stayed two nights and I wished I hada booked three! at least! and on departure, Tam & Charles were more then happy to advise us of the best way to go about our day considering we were working with incoming tides and such at Hotwater beach adn Cathedral Cove which are inspiring places to see.

I would highly recommend Wairua Lodge to ANYONE who asks me about ANTHING!!LOL!!...and to be perfectly honest...I can not wait to go back soon.

Thanks Tam and Charles, it was a pleasure being in the company of two kind, considerate and welcoming host. See you soon :O)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aroha H
Reviewed 15 April 2010

we used to live in kenya and this is the nearest we have found outside east africa that resembles an upmarket safari lodge. no lions but just such a relaxing environment, with such wonderful hosts. Can't praise it enough. Book the bath as it is a one off experience.

2  Thank rogerdear2002
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We recently moved to NZ from the UK and live fairly close to the beach so we decided to get away from the coast for this mini-break and head for the bush. We are so glad we did because Wairua Lodge is delightful. To feeding the owls at 11pm to taking a soak in bath snug (big enough for two!!), we enjoyed every minute of it. Tam provides each room with a little breakfast - toast/spreads, cereals and fruit/yoghurt which we had out on the lawns. We went walking along the river in valley and took a walk through their bush land, which is well signposted and marked. No TV or cellphone coverage here - very peaceful. Be warned though: moths everywhere (I hate creepy-crawlies) and also the road from Coromandel is only gravel - so don't rush!
We will be back - with our families when they visit!

Reviewed 28 March 2010

My husband and I spent a couple of nights at Wairua for our wedding anniversary on a recommendation from a friend. We were holidaying from Australia and found the Kiwi hospitality from Tam & Charlie brilliant. They were very welcoming and helpful with local knowledge.
The lodge itself is pretty amazing, nestled in the valley, it takes your breath away when you drive up to it.
Our accommodation was great, the king bed was comfortable and the rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated with everything you need for a short break.
The spa and swimming holes were an added bonus and helped make our trip nice and relaxing.
All in all it was a really enjoyable couple of nights and we would definitely recommend it. Hope to get back there one day...
Jess & Tim, Canberra Australia

Reviewed 16 March 2010

The Wairua Lodge exceeded our expectations. We had a weekend getaway package including the ferry from Auckland and it was a perfect hassle-free way to get out of the city.
The hosts Tam & Charles are great and go out of their way to make the experience even better.
The location is amazingly beautiful and the atmosphere very relaxing. The rooms are cozy and tastefully done.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed 9 March 2010

Working for a year in NZ. We're dedicated 'spoilt' tourists having stayed in increasingly fancy locations over the years but Wairua (especially the riverside suite) is definitely up there- very special. Go before the place moves upmarket and gets expensive! Worth it for the tree-top bath and the swimming holes alone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
6 mi away
#2 of 18 in Whitianga
Admiralty Lodge Motel
Admiralty Lodge Motel
#4 of 18 in Whitianga

Been to Wairua Lodge - Rainforest River Retreat? Share your experiences!