Wairua Lodge - Rainforest River Retreat
Baileys at the Beach Motel(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$113
Blue Marlin Apartments(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$110
Beachside Resort Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$102
Beachfront Resort(Whitianga)
US$147
  • Beachfront
Oceanside Motel Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$120
  • Beachfront
US$143
US$139
Travelocity
Oceans Resort Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$110
US$93
Anchorage Motel(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$103
All reviewsbath househidden valleytam charlesfire pitglow wormsswimming holeoutdoor bathspa poolwaterfall walknative forestwalking trailsmagical placehidden treasuregreat escapegravel roadcommunal kitchencity life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2010

On the 27th August 2010 while visiting Whitianga for the Annual Scallop Festival, my wife and I chose to stay at the Wairua Lodge situated some 12 kms out of Whitianga and the "hustle and bustle" associated with an event of this nature. There is only one word I will use to describe the Lodge and the experience of staying in this place. UNIQUE.
From the winding metal road with its river crossings to the interior of our warm cabin, built completely from New Zealand Macrocarpa timber, with its characteristic perfume to the bath perched on the side of a hill and fully exposed to the natural bush, pigeons and possums. This is an experience we have never had anywhere in all our world travels.
At night the absolute darkness and quiet coupled with kingsize comfortable beds make for a peaceful nights rest.
All of the above is complimented by two wonderful hosts, Charlie and Tam. They are a bright bubbly couple and nothing is a problem to them. Pick up and delivery from the Auckland/Coromandel ferry, drop off and pick up into Whitianga, breakfast included and a welcoming bottle of wine, make this a truly unique experience.
Wairua Lodge - Top Marks.

Yours gratefully for a wonderful weekend.
Ross and Loraine Fuller. Dolphin Aqualisers Ltd

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aqualisers
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I wished we could have stayed longer. It would be the ideal weekend away from Auckland to simply relax and enjoy nature. As it was, we arrived later than we hoped and didn't have time to take advantage of the walking trails and swimming hole at the lodge. The rooms are lovely and have their own sitting areas - indoors and out. We grabbed the torch from our room and made our way out to the lounge chairs to enjoy some star gazing at night. The next morning we took our breakfast tray outside to take advantage of the setting and serenity of the place. Our little rental car managed the unsealed roads and the "river" crossing necessary to get to the lodge, and it was all so worth it. The hosts really know how to make guests' stays special.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SSH218
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Mid January we stayed for 4 nights in Wairua Lodge in the hidden valley of Coromandel. About a mile off Road 309 the Hidden Valley is perfect for "being away from it all". The lodge and the 5 snug-room's setting in lush forests with streams on both sides give’s you the feeling of being one-with-nature. Our hosts Tam and Charles were very friendly and helpful with information and setting us up in our king-snug room. Breakfast was supplied every evening so that we could stay in our room to our liking in the morning. The two swimming holes in the river, some 50 metres below the terrace were ideal for plunging and there were also hammocks and relaxing chairs.
We used the outside spa but the tree bathroom was out of this world. In candle light with a bottle of wine relaxing in hot water and listening to soft dreamy music looking out to a stream 30 metres below was very, very romantic. We strongly recommend this lodge to everyone who loves nature. Thank you very much Tam & Charles !

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank René R
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Wairua lodge is an amazingly stunning place....we arrived to the loge two hours behind "schedual" and it was one of the most amazing places I have ever witnessed. Driving up to the lodge itself at night left me in awe of what I was expecting to see....it was better then what I imagined and I made a point to tell my man that as we arrived...lol ;O)

Charles came out to greet us as we parked up followed by Tam close behind. Both of them were extremely kind and were sporting welcoming smiles that made my man & I feel instantly at ease.

Charles showed us around straight away as we had arrived at night and he wanted us to settle in (and so did we) while Tam got our breaky (which is well sufficient!) for the next moring to us so that we could eat when WE wanted to and so that they had no need to wake us to hand it to us in the morning. He pointed out all the swimming holes, the spa bath (which was utilsed as soon as the tour was over!..lol) and the tree house bath tub, which was sucha highlight for me let me tell yah! and then took us to our room. We had booked a queen room.......but were UPGRADED to a King!...YEEEEEYAH! which was much more devine. Our queen room was awesome....but our King room was amazingly better and when I go back, I'm booking the King room if not the River lodge so that I can have my family come with us. He showed us the conservatory kitchen (which is so0o0o comfy) and then the range of DVD's on offer to watch as there is no internet and phone lines in the room. You can use the Main Houses phone if need be...but that is one of the selling points for me.....no outside world!. I organised this as acongrats to my man for his promotion at work and he is NOT easily pleased??!!?? so to have him tell me "I dont really wanna leave" almost bought me to tears! and thats saying alot for him.

We stayed two nights and I wished I hada booked three! at least! and on departure, Tam & Charles were more then happy to advise us of the best way to go about our day considering we were working with incoming tides and such at Hotwater beach adn Cathedral Cove which are inspiring places to see.

I would highly recommend Wairua Lodge to ANYONE who asks me about ANTHING!!LOL!!...and to be perfectly honest...I can not wait to go back soon.

Thanks Tam and Charles, it was a pleasure being in the company of two kind, considerate and welcoming host. See you soon :O)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aroha L
Reviewed 15 April 2010

we used to live in kenya and this is the nearest we have found outside east africa that resembles an upmarket safari lodge. no lions but just such a relaxing environment, with such wonderful hosts. Can't praise it enough. Book the bath as it is a one off experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple