“A nightmare I never want to repeat”

Whitianga Campground
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We arrived to find a queue of people waiting. They told us that the owner had 'lost their booking' and they had been waiting for an hour. He'd wandered off to check his computer 30 minutes ago and eventually reappeared eating the last of his sandwich! We couldn't believe he had left us standing there while he had his lunch! And it was all downhill from there. I'd had a conversation with him and he agreed to book 2 cabins for us on receipt of my email, and he responded telling us to bring sheets and pillows. So there we were 8 people in peak holiday season with him telling us that we didn't have a booking. He kept referring us to other places with vacancies that had nothing when we called them. It was like a scene with Basil Fawlty. My advice is to avoid this campground, there are much better ones in Whitianga anyway.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Louise B
Grant J, Owner at Whitianga Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

As I recall this guest arrived from Australia, there had been email correspondence, but she hadn't paid the deposit, and unfortunately we were unable to accommodate her.
I did my best to find alternative accommodation
Our hours at out by 10am and in after 2pm and if you arrive in between those hours it is quite likley you may find me having my lunch.

Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Not worth the money useless you manage to get a VERY special price on an accommodation website which might make it worthwhile for 1 night.

Toilets smell and are chronically wet
Spiders in rooms
Old, dirty facilities and tv's barely work.

Also wifi is archaic and useless

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank cramcus
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Nice friendly staff, organised an excellent spot for my tent. Good basic kitchen and lounge. NO hot water shower! Uses a token system, when I went back to complain about no hot water, no offer was made to correct the issue! :-( Toilets were also grubby which with both issues let them down!

Cost $15 per tent site (Included 5 min hot shower token, don't count on the hot bit!)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank The_Flying_Brick
Reviewed 8 May 2012

If you are looking to bring back happy memories of fun family holidays, look no further than this tradditional kiwi campground. The facilities provide all the essentials at a reasonable price and the friendly campground people add to the fun atmosphere.

The owner was always flexible and willing to go the extra mile to meet our needs (unusual in this day and age).

I look forward to smelling the aroma of freshly caught fish and sizzling sausages when I next holiday at this little piece of paradise ways from the city hussle.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment. The cottage is my pick.
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you want to see Basil Faulty or visit Arkwright's Store this is the place.
The fact that the owner shows no star rating is for a good reason; professional curtesy.
If you find another business offering accommodation and advertising:

Cancellations or changes to bookings for this room will not be permitted for any reason. Once confirmed a booking cannot be refunded or altered in any way.

I would doubt that anyone would book there.
This man will take from you any payment he thinks he can get away with.
If this is the only accommodation you can find in Whitianga sleep on the beach.

3  Thank Roger J
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were expecting a really nice family holiday. Admittedly I messed up our booking and had paid online through Wotif for a cabin for three nights instead of a unit with ensuite and kitchen. The owner said we would be fine to upgrade to a unit for two nights instead of the three because of the third being booked out, and we would be refunded for the difference. My father went to get our refund just before leaving and the Owner said we owed him for the cabin for the third night and threatened to lock the gate if we didn’t pay! We ended up paying $130 extra for a cabin we did not use. On top of this there was a total lack of service and hospitality, and no kiwi spirit. Be warned, this guy is a cowboy operator.

4  Thank Becky J
Reviewed 1 January 2012

A camp ground i feel should be clean and operational i felt many things have been neglected and not tidied or cleaned for a while. 2 bbq's 1 didnt work at all the second very dirty took 30 minutes to warm so you could still put your hand on the plate....no toaster, this would be a good business to buy as it would be very easy to improve.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Tubbatubs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Coromandel TOP 10 Holiday Park
Hahei Holiday Resort
Long Bay Motor Camp
Long Bay Motor Camp
#30 of 97 in Coromandel Peninsula

Been to Whitianga Campground? Share your experiences!