970 Lonely Bay
  • Pool
Peninsula Motel(Whitianga)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewscooks beachhoneymoon suiteestuary suitenew zealandfrench doorscoromandel peninsulaoffered teasunny morningbeautiful lodgeb bentire houseluxury accommodationopportunity to meetbeyond the call of dutydinner reservationsgreat location for exploringlovely accommodation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I recently spent 2 weeks touring the N Island of NZ. Though my wife did most of the bookings for the tour it fell to me to find 2 night's accommodation in the Coromandels. Lets just say I nailed it with 970 Lonely Bay.
The property is absolutely stunning in itself, but add to this the incredibly warm and generous care and attention to detail lavished upon you by the fabulous host Loring and you will be hard pressed to find a better place to stay anywhere in NZ. Her delicious pre dinner nibbles and world class breakfasts will leave you feeling very spoilt.
The rooms are gorgeous in every way. Modern finishes, ultra comfortable beds, beautifully appointed bathrooms, amazing natural lighting - its impossible to find fault here.
Its location close to the beach in the pretty little Cooks Beach area is hard to beat and hopping on the nearby passenger ferry across the water to Whitianga makes for a really lovely night out in one of their many restaurants over there.
We would head back to 970 in a flash - it really is a special and impressive place made even better by its fabulously fantastic host Loring.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George_Downunder
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My friends and I spent the final couple of days of our NY holidays in Australia and NZ in that stunning place. Starting from the the booking process, all the way to the very last detail of our stay, the attention to detail and hospitality were impecable. That luxury guest house is extremely well maintained and clean, as most of New Zealand, cozy, nicely located on a small hill near a river and the ocean at the same time. The sandy beach is only 5 min stroll away and the beach gear is all provided by the lodge. Hahei and the Hot Water Beach is 10 min drive, while Whitianga town with all it's shops and excellent restaurants can be accessed by passenger ferry in less than 15 min.

The garden is very nice and this is where we met the lodge owner Jane, who opened herself on the second day of our stay, after she learnt that we were from Russia. She was extremely busy with making the garden beautiful, but took an hour to discuss the works of Tolstoy and global politics, coming through as diverse and interesting person.

But the heart of this house was a lady of thousand talents, who made us feel more than at home. Loring, the villa manager, miraculously could be an excellent cook, an interesting companion, a knowleagable pass time advisor, and all of that to every guest of the lodge without anybody feeling left out. The farewell dinner, which she prepared for six guests was one of the best meals we had in New Zealand, served on the outside terrace in a very romantic setting. I will never forget her care, when she brought me a hot water bottle in the middle of the night, for my strained back after too much bungy jumping in Queenstown. Loring is just a fantastic personality and a real character - and a true momma to her guests. All in all, this was the brightest spot of our journey and we strongly want to come back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have never stayed anywhere so impressive in my life and I have travelled to a lot of places. I was part of a wedding party who stayed here earlier in the year and it was truly amazing. I'd been for a tour through it about 4 months prior to the wedding and nothing was too much trouble for Loring. The same with the wedding and the stay - aboslutely nothing was too much trouble for her guests. Everything went off without a hitch, the venue was amazing, accommodations super comfortable and the breakfasts were to die for. I felt like being at home the whole time, except my own home is not on this grand scale. Cannot recommend it enough for either a wedding, or just a fabulous special occasion holiday away.

Room Tip: Any room is fabulous - they all have their benefits!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We can't express how glad we are that we chose to have our wedding at 970 Lonely Bay Lodge. From our initial contact through to arrival and departure, Loring's boundless energy, skill and attention to the finest detail ensured our stay was seamless with nothing being too much trouble and every need anticipated and catered for. An absolutely stunning setting and a truly awesome hostess - thank you so much for making our special day and indeed our whole experience with you perfect, and one that we'll not forget.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed at 970 Lonely Bay for 2 nights as part of a long weekend away. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left nothing was too much trouble for Loring from the welcoming tea on arrival, checking tide times, taking us to see the fireworks, loaning us shovels for hot water beach and the truly delicious dinner sourced from local ingredients the list goes on.

The house itself is beautiful and the small touches make it that bit extra special, for example beach towels in a beach bag in the room. There are so many different areas to relax - the private deck off our room, the sun room, the main deck, the library, the side deck, the garden and even the outdoor bath. The location on the estuary, a couple of minutes walk to Cooks Beach or the slightly more strenuous walk to Lonely Bay itself, make this an idyllic spot.

Never before have I been made to feel so welcome and relaxed. Loring thank you for looking after us so well - how we are going to cope with out you I don't know. Jane you have a fantastic house and thank you for sharing it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple