“1 Night stand”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitianga
Mercury Orchard Accommodation
Ranked #14 of 42 Whitianga B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“1 Night stand”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Popped in to Mercury Orchard Heather & Barry were like long lost friends, that homestyle cooking and Kiwi hospitality is so hard to beat!
Beautiful home and business will definitely see you again we still need to see Cathedral Cove in the sunshine and pick fruit from the Orchard.
The setting is idllic even in the rain and the Fish & Chips from Cooks Beach hit the spot thanks again will be back!!!
Adrian & Jayne Williams

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We recently booked a holiday with another couple to New Zealands North Island and as we had never been before the Coramandel Peninsula was highly recommended. So the travel books were perused, then websites and we came across the Mercury Orchard which was chosen because of the Donkey! We had a wonderful time at Heather and Barrys beautiful "slice of heaven" The orchard is so tranquilly relaxing we could not have asked for more. After our breakfasts, which were fresh, delicious, and delivered to the balcony where we sat, ate and watched a picture postcard orchard, Barry and Heather recommended some destinations for us to visit which worked perfectly as we saw all we could in our stay. We had some of the best nights sleep on our whole trip as was so peaceful.We had a lovely time and will stay there again on our next visit! Thank you for the apples!

London
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This year we completed our 7th visit to N.Z. spread over 15 years. We discovered Mercury Orchard on our second visit and have stayed with Heather & Barry each time ever since. Over the years we have B & B'd all over N.Z. but Mercury Orchard is still our favourite destination by far - this is based on a combination of the wonderful hospitality of Heather & Barry, the accommodation itself has everything you need as well as being spotlessly clean and with comfortable beds, the quality and quantity of the breakfast/food served, the geographic position in the Coromandel of that accommodation whereby you can be as busy as you like or relax in the orchard. We could expand further but what we and other reviewers have written should be enough to convince all considering a stay. When we come back to N.Z. an 8th time Barry & Heather will be our longest singe stay!

Room Tip: Either of the two cottages will please.
1 Thank Avda
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed at Mercury Orchard for 3 nights over New Years. We were 2 couples and 1 child. At the point of booking I asked Barry and Heather if we could bring our dog as Dylan, the child, is deaf and Ella the dog is from the hearing house and is used for his therapy. They don't normally allow dogs but under the circumstances had no problem with Ella coming with us. This was first of too many times to count of instances where Barry and Heather went out of their way to make our stay special.

Mercury orchard was just bliss. The 2 cottages we stayed in were lovely, luxurious yet cosy and a great place to spend a few days. We had use of the orchard which was great for Dylan to run around and be free. Barry brought Dylan to feed his donkey and sheep which Dylan loved. (Dylan loves animals).

The location is excellent - only a short drive to all the sights - Whitianga, hot water beach, cathedral cove, cooks beach.

I would definately return to Mercury Orchard. The area is beautiful and Barry and Heather made us all feel so welcome and special without intruding on our privacy. No doubt a skill well honed from years of helping make special holidays in this special place.

I haven't mentioned the breakfasts. I will leave that as a surprise for your stay. Needless to say, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jjlanders
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Disappointed in this B&B with the following concerns:

- Poor directions over the phone caused us to drive an extra 50 Km.
- Poor local knowledge of the local eating places (and there are only three)
- Bed Reading Light Covers not fitted properly exposing live connections
- Pillows under-whelming
- Dirty Plates placed on the clean plate tray
- Needed to ask twice for a replacement (sodden) bath mat.
- Not told that there was Wi-Fi
- Tiny television barely visible from the bed
- Breakfast late
- Rubbish Bin not emptied

This was a quite expensive b&b and we felt that the price we paid was not matched by the service and accommodation.

On the plus side the room was spacious and clean and the setting was very quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnFW123
merc859, Owner at Mercury Orchard Accommodation, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
J.W & M recently stayed for two nights. J came to pay for his accommodation and produced a list of complaints which he proceeded to read through. He then requested a 20% discount on his bill. If I agreed to that he would give me his list and nothing more would be done. I declined his offer.
I was consequently not given his list but did write down the points that he made as I remembered them. A couple of his complaints he acknowledged as being rather trivial and did not post them onto Trip Adviser. I have included these .

1/ Poor directions. M contacted me asking for accommodation. I said yes, and asked if they required directions. She said “ no, they have a map and would ring if they had a problem.” They drove past Hot Water Beach Rd and on to Whitianga. Hence the extra 50 km. Directions are on our website and in the Accommodation book we list in.

2/ I was not there to meet them when they arrived. Our guests can arrive any time after 2pm.I was 2 minutes away in our orchard and came as soon as I heard our dogs barking.

3/ A lack of knowledge regarding local restaurants. We have 4 restaurants within a 10 minute drive and another 16 within 25 minutes. Plus takeaway options. As evening meal options I offered a cheese platter to M. This would have been supplied at no charge… she said no, and they also said no to the idea of a takeaway. I suggested two close local cafes at Cooks Beach. Either would have been fine, They asked for the closest restaurant. I booked this for them after describing the meal format. I understood that they enjoyed the meal and in fact posted a favourable report on trip advisor

4/ Loose tea leaves. We have in the cottages, instant coffee, freshly ground coffee and a variety of tea bags. They asked for tea leaves as opposed to tea bags. We have never been asked for loose tea in 13 years and consequently don’t keep any.

5/ Wet bath mat We have in our accommodation notes that towels are changed every 3 days or on request.They asked for a replacement bath mat on the first morning. I brought over beach towels but did forget to change their bath mat. When I went over later in the day they asked for most of the other towels and flannels to be changed plus the bath mat which I had forgotten. This was done.

6/ Mark on a plate.The accommodations are self contained. We take breakfast out to the Cottages.Many guests choose to wash their own dishes although we are happy to take them and put them through our dishwasher. J & M chose to let me to take all their plates and wash and return.I returned the dishes which had been washed in the dishwasher, on a tray---J maintains they were not clean,but they appeared so to me.

7 Our Wi Fi is free and available to our visitors. Most guests ask on arrival and we give them the password.

8 Late delivery of breakfast. On the Saturday afternoon J asked for an early breakfast for the next day… 7.30amTo save time in the morning they asked for a continental breakfast, plus decided what they wanted cooked. J told me that I brought over the continental part of the breakfast at 7.25am and the cooked portion at 7.40am. John said that he had timed me … and that I was late.

9 The lights. We have 2 wall reading lights over the bed. Both light covers had been deliberately unscrewed and the covers were hanging down. The covers would only be unscrewed to replace the halogen bulbs. It is impossible for this to happen with normal use. I put the fittings back together in about 2 seconds for each light.They were completely fine before J & M arrived.

10 Pillows. …There were four pillows of varying sizes…two brand new And there were two Euro pillows in the cupboard. We have plenty of pillows and would have changed them if asked..

11/ A Small Television. We have a small flat television in the cottage and a dozen or so dvds. Our television is certainly not meant to be the focal point of the cottage nor positioned to be watched in bed.. The tv size is 530mm x 360 mm.

12 /
Rubbish. We say that we will empty the rubbish each day.As J &M had arrived late in the day and went out for a meal on the first night, I thought that there would be little or no rubbish to collect on the first morning but once again would have been happy to remove it if they had asked.

We have been operating our Bed and Breakfast for 13 years and over that time have enjoyed the company of many hundreds of interesting visitors from all around the world and New Zealand Some have been back several times to stay and we have made some life long friendships. Despite our best efforts I am sure that we have not done everything correctly for everybody 100% of the time and we are happy to receive constructive criticism. J's comments are both hurtful to us and harmful to our business.
Auckland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone looking for a private, peaceful place to stay where you will be well looked after by the very accommodating hosts. The bed is very comfortable, you are provided with everything you need, including recommendations for restaurants and things to do, as well as bookings and so on. The breakfast is truly fabulous, making this a really good value place to stay as well. I would not hesitate to book a stay.

1 Thank HappyH46
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful find.....Fig Tree cottage....a cottage surrounded by an orchard where you are encouraged to pick ripe fruit and eat it straight from the tree.
Heather and Barry are most hospitable hosts and never far away if you need help or advice. Barry's freshly prepared breakfasts of fruit, yogurt, cereal,toast and home made preserves is topped off with fresh eggs and bacon with all the trimmings prepared to your specification.
The cottage is very comfortable and spotless with all the facilities for self catering if you so require but there are good restraunts near by in Cook's Beach.
Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank JudithChater
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
#1 of 1 in Whenuakite
Beachfront Resort
Beachfront Resort
#3 of 18 in Whitianga

Been to Mercury Orchard Accommodation? Share your experiences!