“5 Star...Really??”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Whitianga
Tauranga, New Zealand
“5 Star...Really??”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

It pays to shop around. We have stayed at other '5 Star' accommodation in Whitianga which were alot nicer, the staff more friendlier, and the rooms much cheaper than the Admiralty Lodge.

The rooms were spacious and clean but they didn't feel very private. The leather couch was slippery, uncomfortable and hard, and the beds were way too soft!

The bathroom was located in the middle of the apartment so had no external windows. The room fogged up rather fast upon showering, and the condensation lingered for ages due to poor ventilation.

As far as word of mouth would go, I wouldn't recommend the Admiralty Lodge to anyone.

Room Tip: Shop around. There are nicer "5 Star" places in town that cost alot less than Admiralty Lo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crash2012
admiraltylodge, Manager at Admiralty Lodge Motel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The Star rating is provided by Qualmark, based on their strict guidelines and annual audits. I am not aware of any other 5 Star accommodation in Whitianga, except there are some B&B's and that is a different playing field.

In regards to the condensation in the bathroom, this is the first time I have heard about it, each bathroom has a exhaust fan which runs for an additional time even after switching it off, in order to remove all moisture. I will have the maintenance people look in all the bathrooms for this issue. The condensation you may have felt could be due to high humidity, as we had some summer days where the humidity level was extremely high.

Unfortunately, the bed's softness/hardness is more of a personal preference. I do have rooms which have firm mattresses. Wish you had mentioned something during your stay and I would have been more than happy to relocate you to a room with a firm mattress.

It will be great if you could let me know the staff issues so I can discuss it with them and improve upon, we always strive to improve and enhance the guest experience.

Once again, I apologize for the issues you had.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Our room was very comfortable & the unit was fully stocked with all comforts of home. We had no noise issues & even the putt-putt (9th hole) outside our backdoor didn't affect us. There was 1 couple who played that night, but they were quiet & we had a calm, relaxing evening. The view was nice, but not close to the water. It's beyond the highway which is in front of the Motel. It was close to everything you would need & even though it was right on a major highway, we were not bothered at all! Management was very polite & helpful, too! Great place to stay while in the area!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LUVU2MUCH
Thank you for your review and kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful time. Whitianga is a great place to visit and thank you for choosing to stay with us. If your travel plans bring you to this area, I hope you will choose us again.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Before I explain why I have scored this motel so badly I will first start by saying that the facilities are good and the rooms were modern and clean. However, the motel building is clearly cheaply built. This is reflected in the fact that when the neighbouring unit turns their shower on the noise is so loud that it is like you are actually in the shower yourself. This would not normally be too bad, unless of course the people in the neighbouring unit decide to start showering at 10:30pm and do not finish until after 1am (with only a few moments of peace when I assume they were getting dirty again). The motel did not provide any contact number for the manager and knocking on their door was unproductive. When the manager was informed the next day he seemed disinterested at best. I would suggest you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 104 and the noise from the plumbing was incredible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew H
I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience at the lodge and thank you for bringing it to my attention that morning. I believe the water noise you heard was from the Spabath being used late at night from the unit above yours and I can understand the frustration.

I apologize if you felt that I was disinterested in listening to your concern. I do care about my customers and want them to have a comfortable stay. I hope you wont judge us too harshly with this unpleasant issue.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We were on honeymoon trip and were very much pleased with this hotel. We had studio suite with spa bath. The views were amazing from room of the beach and the sunrise view was amazing. The staff was also extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Go for the studio suite with spa bath
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nss4646
Thank you for your kind comments and it is great that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us on your honeymoon trip. I hope you enjoyed rest of the New Zealand trip, as it has a lot to offer.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during a special time in your life.
Melbourne
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This is a great place for the family, in a close position to supermarkets and other attractions (5mins away) and a really great pool just outside our room! I would recommend it for anyone taking a short stay in whitianga :)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank India P
Thank you for comments and it is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Heated pool is a big hit, equally with kids and adults. I hope you will choose to stay with us whenever visiting Whitianga again.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights, room was huge, clean & really comfortable.
Staff extremely friendly, warm & welcoming. Location was central, easy access to beach, walks and an average stroll or very short drive to shops & restaurants Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank relaxinrosie
Thank you for your kind comments about us. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience Whitianga. Although a small town, it has a lot to offer to the visitors. We look forward to your return visit to the Admiralty Lodge.
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed 2 January 2014

From the outside this place looks like an average motel, but the rooms are excellent and the views from the rooms are amazing. Everything you could need is included, free WiFi and sky channels. Quiet and welcoming, with a lovely pool. Good location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billi_BNE
Thank you for your kind comments about the Admiralty Lodge. I am glad that your stay with us was a comfortable one and you enjoyed the amenities we offer. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
#3 of 18 in Whitianga
Oceans Resort Whitianga
Oceans Resort Whitianga
#2 of 18 in Whitianga

Been to Admiralty Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!