“Amazing day, great crew and awesome sea life!”

Dive Zone Whitianga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blessed on the Coromandel Peninsula with arguably the best diving in NZ, from shore, boat or kayak. There is always good diving conditions, prolific fish life and endless dive sites for the beginner and the advanced. With this and all the other natural wonders in and around Mercury Bay, we believe it to be the best location in New Zealand to come to dive and to learn to dive. Let us show you our world!
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We stumbled upon dive zone after having a less than informative chat with the I site about snorkeling. Darrell was amazing and so helpful that we ended up booking 2 dives the following day and it only got better and better.

We dived out at mercury islands.

The crew are fab always looking out for your best interests (we came away with a crayfish...yummy! Thanks zane). I would recommend diving with these guys, you will have a great day out!

Linda B, Owner at Dive Zone Whitianga, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Glad you found us and glad you had an awesome trip. We aim to please!

There are newer reviews for Dive Zone Whitianga

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Advised by one of the crew members of Mike Ball in Australia we planned a day trip with Dive Zone. A laid back but professional crew guided us to a dive spot at "Red Mercury Island" where we did 2 shallow dives in the kelp. Dive master "Squid" showed lots of nice small and big stuff.

We had good and well maintained equipment and whenever you need additional gear, there is a nice shop.

Whenever we come back to NZ, we for sure would like to go back!

1  Thank Esther1606
Reviewed 19 March 2014

These guys are brilliant! After completing my Openwater PADI, I had a bad experience while diving on holiday a few months back. I was really keen to get diving again but also quite nervous as I struggle with cold water. We went into the shop while in the area just for some advice on how to get me diving again and Darrell was fantastic and really enthusiastic in making sure I had a good experience on my next dive. He also offered to take my husband with us for some snorkelling (he doesn't dive) at no further cost. His attitude made me keen to return and complete my next dive with them and I am so glad I did.

The equipment was fantastic, all in great condition. They also provided me with a well-fitted 7mm wetsuit, top and hood to ensure I did not feel the cold at all. The dive itself was brilliant, the instructors were really friendly and encouraging, regularly checking that I was doing fine and had no problems. They also pointed out some brilliant marine life to me. I had a great experience and can't wait to do some more diving over the next few months - definitely what I needed to get back into it. Thanks to all the team! I cannot recommend this company enough :)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Dive Zone in Whitianga offer a range of services to divers from tank fills to boat charters. Having never dived before I know very little about the subject but I do feel perfectly qualified to comment on the Discover SCUBA Diving experience offered by Dive Zone.
I called up the shop the day before my trip and the enthusiastic owner answered all my questions and reckoned the following day would be a perfect day for it. We were supplied with all the kit required by a friendly bunch of guys at the shop the next morning and taken out onto the boat to head to the first dive site. On the way out Leighton, Shane and Craig talked us knowledgeably through various procedures before it was our turn to dive. Unfortunately, my girlfriend got a bit overwhelmed with all the breathing kit but the instructors were great at providing friendly encouragement without being pushy. In the end she settled for just doing some snorkelling and had a great time anyway.

That left me to have my eyes opened to the world under the water! I was treated to two 30 or so minute dives during the day accompanied by Leighton who was able to show me some pretty cool marine life in both dive spots; crayfish, sting rays and an array of other fish.

Like everywhere else we visited in New Zealand, we were looked after really well and everyone had a genuine desire to share with us their living and lifestyle. For $150 we were out on the boat for nearly 6 hours which would almost be enough fun and value for money without doing two dives.

Thanks to all at Dive Zone!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I attended the dive festival run by Whitianga dive zone last weekend. It was the first time I had dived there and our first dive festival. I went out for 3 dives on the boat and was very impressed with Craig our boatman both days and thoroughly enjoyed the dives. The festival was well organised and fun, we will definately come again. The amount of valuable prizes given away over the weekend was amazing and obviously credit to the relationship dive zone has with the sponsors involved. Darryl should be very proud of what was achieved by his team and I am looking forward to coming back for my rescue diver course that my husband kindly won for me!!

Linda B, Owner at Dive Zone Whitianga, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Hi Jane,
Thanks for your great review! So glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us for our annual Dive Festival. We love putting this event on and really enjoy the opportunity to get to know divers we haven't met before and introduce them to our fantastic (we think so) region. Dive Festival 2014 will be held on the 28, 29 and 30th November. Hope we see you back to do your PADI Rescue before then!
Regards