“Seafood Buffet - Nuff Said”

MacArthur's Riverview Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
MacArthur's Riverview Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in West Point
Price range: US$12 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Seafood Buffet - Nuff Said”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

West Point is not a tourism destination. Folks who visit are there to see family or they're there on business. The region is not what one would describe as well-heeled and therefore, the dining accommodations are not plentiful. Now, most would take this as an opportunity to slack off on service or their product (in this case, the food). Why not? If you don't have many choices, it doesn't make sense to be any more than merely "better" than your competition. That said, the restaurant at the Thayer was really quite special. Steeped in West Point historical references (every entree is named after a deserving USMA grad), the ambiance of the restaurant is classic, old world style. It's soft, welcoming. And the food was quite good. We all got the seafood buffet, which apparently is a regular offering. And it was endless. Steamed clams, oysters, three kids of fish, crab, you name it. And it was all very good. If you are lookifor a nicer meal with your family while in the West Point area, the Thayer's restaurant is a good bet.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank wjsiv

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beyond Terrible”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband & I had eaten here numerous times in the past 30 years. Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 we had reservations. Since it was a football weekend a BBQ buffet was offered. 75% of that buffet was completely out and most of it was not restocked. We waited too long to be seated with many tables open. Our waiter did not take our drink orders for 20 minutes nor tell us that ordering from the menu was an option. Straw that broke this camel's back was when the "whipped cream" (next to the strawberries and pecan pie on the dessert table) turned out to be sour cream. We were offered a 10% discount and ultimately the dinner was "as the guests of the restaurant". But the manager seemed awfully defensive. Embarrassed since we had invited a long-time friend and her cadet son to join us. And it was our Anniversary Dinner. We were left with a bad taste.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank l00kingf0rg00deats
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Job well done!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Well staying at the Thayer Hotel we experienced dining at the Thayer Restaurant. Presenting a fantastic display foods including the rack of lamb which was excellent as though we felt like we were coming to a Michelin starred restaurant as the attentive servers were very good as well. We actually one had sit down with us and spoke to us at length about the history and elite visitors who have frequented the site. The appetizers were fresh and served quickly as were the entrees. 5 deserving stars from me.

1 Thank Sebastiano S
Norwalk, CT
“Banquet Hall Ripoff”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We booked a wedding rehearsal dinner and our plans changed.

Notified the banquet hall 80 days before the scheduled date and was charged 90% of the total amount.

Had I been able to cancel eleven (11) days earlier the fee would have been 45%.

I realize the need to charge a fee to cover any expenses and anticipated income… but 90%?

I paid $1,918.65.

I was not offered a credit or a future date.

3 Thank utopiacsp
CT - USA
“Oh my....”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Oh my….

I thought I had seen it all until this past Saturday night at the Mac Arthur Room at the Thayer Hotel. It was a new low. Surpassing the Castle Hill Inn debacle from this past summer (see my review separately).We were guests at the hotel and our plan was to have a nice meal in the Mac Arthur Room after a day of sightseeing and go to bed.

It was the worst overall dining experience I’ve had in 10 years. The Dining Room is stunning and deserving of better management. While the room was only half full, it was understaffed and the hostess/managers did nothing but straighten chairs. Our waitress Gerri, simply had too many tables. The staff went out of their way to let us know that they had four weddings at the hotel that day.

We were seated promptly, received drinks, ordered and then just sat.. and sat. A couple that came in after us ordered just entrees received their meals and were finished before we were served our appetizers.

For appetizers my wife had the Shrimp Cocktail which was fine. I had the $4 Lobster Bisque. It was simply Lobster Bisque thick broth without a chunk of lobster.

Drinks sat empty as the staff attended to other tables. We were really getting angry. I saw our entrees come out and just sit in a serving tray. They were covered with a lid. When severed, I immediately felt the plate-- it was cold. My Rib Eye Steak (Choice at $31) was cooked ok but the food service gravy (not Au Jus as listed on the menu) the kitchen had poured over it had cooled and skimmed over. The mashed potatoes-- (food service quality again, ice cream cone scoop-- which I really do not mind) were so cold a pat of butter would not melt when placed on top of them. Naturally when we were done - we sat, I had to get up from out table to ask for the check.

The meal was long, drawn out and horrible.

“……renowned Executive Chef Brian Aspell” should consider his reputation in putting out food like this in a dining room with obvious service issues. Serving steaks on cold plates… really? I can empathize with the staff who had 4 wedding receptions to serve -- (thanks for letting me know about the hotels workload) but why is this my problem and why do I need be sympathetic?

Please if you are accustomed to decent dining - this place will let you down. This meal was the worst part of our West Point trip.

Tip: You can walk from the Thayer to the downtown restaurants easily. Just show your ID to get back onto West Point.

Visited September 2013