“Appreciate the military history!”
Review of The Thayer Hotel

The Thayer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Point
The Woodlands, Texas
“Appreciate the military history!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We drove through West Point to visit the Academy and asked several folks where to stay (no reservations) and they all said The Thayer Hotel. We went and indeed had a room for us.

The room was on the small side for the price paid, but very nice appointments. They make you aware of a freight train that runs just down the hill several times per night but honestly, it did not bother me at all.

GREAT ... really GREAT staff to help and make your stay memorable. We dined on property and had a wonderful meal (steak).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carlys_Lemler, General Manager at The Thayer Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
We appreciated you staying with us on your recent trip to visit The United States Military Academy. The Historic Thayer Hotel is a 151 room boutique hotel that captures and reflects the essences of West Point. Being on the same grounds as the Academy, The Thayer Hotel is a favorite among families of the cadets, and guest rooms are very sought after for key events, such as Reception Day, Acceptance Day, and Graduation. Our property is 88 years old, but full of modern amenities. Our staff is also well equipped to provide you with five star service, so your stay will me a memorable one. Thank you again for staying at The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
The Finger Lakes, NY
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for a business meeting and loved the location. The view of the river is breathtaking and the area around the hotel is beautiful and historic. My room had a wonderful and comfy bed that faced the river and the train sound was no bother to me.

While other reviewers have complained about the food, I thought our meals were very good. Maybe it was because our group was small, which allowed the chefs to showcase their culinary skills. Also, the wait staff were excellent and so kind to us, including the young lady in Bistro 1926 who was quite pleasant both mornings. And if you like wine, they had a nice selection in General Patton's Tavern, which is a cozy place to unwind.

Even though I am no military buff, I learned a few tidbits being surrounded by photos and literature about West Point, it's graduates and the hotel's connection to the U.S. Military Academy.

Now for the downside. Some of my colleagues and I arrived at the hotel late and at varying hours. This hotel is very difficult to find when it is dark outside. I pulled over on one of the pitch black roads to call the hotel to ask for directions. Note, I had directions from Mapquest that sent me to the wrong gates at West Point and the directions the nice gentlemen there gave me were unhelpful. I dialed the hotel at 10:15 p.m. and there was no answer and no one to help me. I tried several times in a span of ten minutes to no avail. My colleague had a similar experience when he arrived at the train station around 11 p.m. and needed information on how to get to the hotel via cab and he had the same experience--the phone rang and rang and rang but no answer. The lack of a human connection at that hour of need was rather disconcerting.

And this began what was a series of zero to poor communication from some of the staff and a feeling of being improperly welcomed at the hotel.

When I finally arrived at the Thayer, the desk clerk did not mention a thing about the trains. Lucky for him the horns sounding were the least of my worries. He also failed to tell me that the Internet password changed every day. This caused some inconvenience at my business meting. A platter of beautiful vegetables were delivered to the back of our meeting room the next day, but no one told us and the whole thing went to waste.

I found the female desk clerk in the morning to be lacking in warmth. She was unapologetic when I told her the Wi-Fi connection was not working. A little while later my room key no longer worked after one full day at the hotel and her response was similar. The day before, at 6:45 a.m. when I asked to be directed to the little place in the hotel where you can get coffee and tea, she felt the need to correct me on the name before pointing me in the right direction. I had just rolled out of bed and needed caffeine and guidance in an unfamiliar place, not a response with an ever-so-slight punitive edge. Bottom line, the desk clerks seemed to be an unusual lot.

While I appreciated the spaciousness of my room and the comfort of the bed, I also noticed bugs in my room, just as another reviewer did. There was a large dried up stink bug on the window sill and then a live creature crawling on my coffee table in the morning. Overall cleanliness of the room was so-so. The bathroom really needed a good scrubbing and the toilet seat needed to be replaced--it was kind of gross. It appeared that the cleaning staff regularly does a very fast job on the room and pays little attention to details, from failing to remove the dead stink bug and refilling the cups that I had used to not including the ear plugs and a mint that were placed on the beds of my colleagues who had river-facing rooms, but not on mine.

If you want an interesting experience with a spectacular view, this is the place to go. Keep your expectations low and you may be in for pleasant surprises along the way!

Room Tip: Light sleepers should avoid river view rooms because of the trains.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here since we attended a wedding in the surrounding area. We chose this hotel based on the tradition associated with it along with the beautiful surroundings and views overlooking the river. Our room was a deluxe with a King bed and nice considering the hotel was built in the 20's with renovations since. We live more luxuriously today then they did in the 20's so the room is not large but adequate for us with the bathroom being a larger size. Our view was out the back of the hotel overlooking the river. Apparently there is a freight train near the river on the hotel side that runs all night. We were warned by the front desk but it didn't seem to bother us. I didn't even hear it. The Zulu Time outside bar and lounge is nice. It didn't seem overly busy considering there were three weddings at the hotel the weekend we were there. You could also have something light to eat there. The staff was very knowledgeable, very accommodating and very friendly. Being on the grounds of West Point, we got to see the West Point Band concert one night under the stars. We had a nice time walking the grounds and touring. Access to West Point and the hotel requires ID and a reason for entering as expected. Overall this was a nice trip. We will visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This historic hotel is a real gem. The staff was very helpful from the start of the reservations process in finding a nice quiet corner of the hotel for our grandaughter to get a good night's sleep, before starting the summer program @ West Point. The Friday night seafood buffet was fabulous. Breakfast was yummy and the dining staff friendly and accomodating. Gen Patton's Pub was a relaxing spot and again service was superb. The rooftop lounge had beautiful views of the Hudson and surrounding countryside. Coming from Florida in June this was a delightful change of scenery. We booked the Patriot's Package, which included welcome drinks, the West Point tour and breakfast. It was excellent value to be sure. If you are in the area a stay at The Thayer should not be missed !!!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you are looking for when you make your reservations and they will find the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beautiful location. Beautiful hotel. Staff always helpful and smiling. Food is very good. Love the bar, and bartenders located off the beautiful lobby. Only one caveat, one must have a little patience with the staff during the Summer months. It is wedding Season at West point. We already miss the Hudson River view from the restaurant located on the roof.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the fifth floor. It was excellent
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had two rooms for our family of 5. Two double beds in each room. Small rooms but very comfortable. Our rooms were very clean, beds were comfortable, staff was courteous, exercise facility was very good. My family enjoyed this facility very much.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

During our PCS, we have stayed in MANY hotels. I was pleasantly surprised with the Thayer Hotel. Not only is it a beautiful, historic hotel, but rooms exceeded my expectations. Most older hotels that I have experienced have small, cramped rooms, but the 2 bed rooms at the Thayer were roomy and fit our family of 5 beautifully, with the use of the pull-out couch. We stayed on the front side of the hotel to avoid any noise from Zulu and it was very peaceful. The Thayer also has the most comfortable beds ever! They rival the JW Marriott "dream bed" :) With the military discount on top of it all, The Thayer Hotel was EXCELLENT!

• Stayed July 2014
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
West Point Motel
West Point Motel
#1 of 2 in Highland Falls

Been to The Thayer Hotel? Share your experiences!