“Rather stay at a Motel 6”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Westhampton Beach
The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful as was Atlantica, food excellent. I live farther east in the Hamptons and had an early flight the next morning, so thought it would be best to stay the night and drive to JFK early in the morning. The room was tiny, carpet thread bare and very dirty. Wore socks the whole time. NO HOT WATER! I am sure it was not that there were many people in the hotel either, it was just luke warm and when I got out of the shower, I was cold. Bed was so awful and looked dirty that I slept in my cloths. This place is in need of a total renovation. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 September 2009

I've read other reviews and frankly our experience was fine.
Our room was expensive but we were in the Hamptons on the beach during the labor day weekend enjoying the pool, beach, sun with plenty to do.
Our room was small and not particularly glamorous; It was clean and the location is spectacular. I guess you have to weigh the costs. The people at the hotel are nice and helpful. It's definitely not a five star hotel but if you can stand a little less glitziness and more fun and spectacular views then this is the right place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2009

weary of the place after reading all the reviews and my experience was in line with the thoughts shared by other tripadvisor guests. the common areas of the hotel like the lobby, pool and beachfront are all great - well maintained, updated and very clean. the rooms are in need of updating and just a cleaner feeling overall. all staff members that we interacted with were pleasant and eager to please. poolside bar/restaurant adequate. with improvements to the guest rooms, the place would be the perfect hampton beach vacation spot.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2009

If you want to stay in the "glorious" Hamptons, this place doesn't qualify, or even come close.
My wife and I stayed at the property for my high school reunion from Westhampton Beach High School. We live in the area, but didn't want to drive home that night. We should have taken a cab home after the reunion.
Let me start out by saying that we both know this area very well, and this isn't the "real" Hamptons, although this place thinks it is. If you want the real Hamptons experience, travel about 30 minutes east to East Hampton and Montauk, where the real rich and famous play. Or honestly, go ten minutes north to Riverhead where you have great shopping, awesome hotels, wineries, beaches, golf, and better scenery.

The room - We've had bettter at a Motel 6- for real. The shower was the type you see in someone's finished basement. The staff is aloof. Good luck getting anyone to even acknowledge you. At times I felt like Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense". The worst part was the smoke detectors in the room- they blinked every five seconds like strobe lights, and even if you shut your eyes, you could see the flash through your eyelids. The bed was okay, but the room was unflattering and tiny.
The next morning I woke up and went to the front desk to ask if we could get water or orange juice. The attendant laughed and said, "Yeah, you're going to have to go to 7-11." It seems like no one really wants to be there. If there are any entrepreneurs reading this, you would have a goldmine if you gave this place some competition, because they must feel as if they don't have to impress anyone.
If you need the status of saying you stayed in Westhampton Beach, go for it. For real people who just want to be treated decently, run the other way!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Darren D
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed for a family wedding and got to see a few rooms. great place for the wedding itself beautiful beach. The catered food was excellent Depending on your room totally different experience. Rooms that face the beach side have great views and ambiance. Since rooms are individually owned they are all very different inside. Avoid the rooms on the street side where we stayed. they are like bad motel quality though clean. We stayed at the end room which had a large bathroom and separate sitting area but the pull out couch was unusable for sleep. My wife and daughter had nothing but good experiences with the hair salon.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We recently stayed on a Friday evening in one of their rooms with a king size bed overlooking the tennis courts. Considering that the room rate was equivalent to the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey, we had high expectations. Unfortunately, we would have been much better off at a Motel 6.
Our gripes include:

* the air conditioner was loud, and turned on and off all night long;

* when the AC stopped, the room refrigerator compressor started up and also made considerable noise;

* a morse code sounding noise came out of the clock radio or smoke detector;

* the two ceiling mounted smoke detectors directly above the bed had four small red LED lights which blinked every three seconds;

* the exterior porch lights were so bright that you could almost read a book inside the room with the shades drawn closed and the room lights off;

* the sheets were rough (think hospital quality);

* the phone didn't work so you couldn't call the front desk to leave a wake-up call;

* the bathroom was very small but my spouse thought the hair on the sink and towels was more objectionable;

* the room was not adequately cleaned as there was sand on the floor;

* the closet had five hangers;

* you had to go outside and half way around the building to locate the ice machine.

We didn't get much sleep and decided at about 5:30 AM to get up and check out. We complained to the front desk attendant, who couldn't have cared less. I left my phone number and asked the General Manager to call me. He never did.

At $316.00 plus tax, we felt ripped off. Unfortunately the Westhampton Beach area has few hotels, and the Bath & Tennis seems to cater to mostly weddings, etc.

Take a long book, you may be up most of the night!

Peter B.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank PeterBofWHB
Reviewed 15 July 2008

This is a very mixed review. I stayed there for a long weekend in July and was impressed with the beach, the beach attendants and the location. I think because of the location – and lack of competition – the resort doesn’t really need to keep up and furnish the rooms too nicely or provide good service. I’m ok with the first, but not with the latter.

Every time my traveling companion or I asked a basic question of anyone at the hotel, we were greeted with blank stares. It was almost like the staff has literally no idea what we were talking about when we asked which way the pool/spa/beach was or how parking across the street worked.

Here are a few examples:

When we came in an asked if there was a place to get take out food to bring to the beach, the front desk person directed us to the resort’s ballroom-style restaurant which was empty. After the hostess gave us a menu to look over, she asked why we weren’t ordering our food from the grill outside by the pool. This was the first we’d heard of the grill by the pool. Why hadn’t the front desk person just suggested that? That’s exactly what we were looking for – takeout to bring to the beach!

On a separate day a waiter came up to me at the beach and asked if I’d like to order lunch. I ordered a salad and 60 minutes later when he came back down, I waved to him expecting he’d have my salad. He never came over. When I went upstairs to the grill to inquire I was told they couldn’t find me. Now, I normally wouldn’t list something like this –I was obviously an honest mistake – but in conjunction with everything else, I found it emblematic of the service.

Later that day when our room had not been cleaned we called to inquire. Someone was sent over right away and cleaned while we went into town. When we came back the room was clean but the door was left open.

When I called the number listed on the brochure for the spa (SpaHampton) I actually got the hair salon. When I asked if she could transfer me to the spa she said she didn’t know the number. Now, I realize these places are all owned individually, but what kind of business practice is that? Shouldn’t they at least know the phone numbers to facilities within the resort? Again, I know this isn’t a major deal, but it’s just not a very good way to run a business or make guests feel like coming back.

The hair salon was terrible and the woman who appears to be “in charge” seems totally out-of-it. My blow out – from another stylist - was pretty bad and looked bad even walking out. On leaving I handed the woman my credit card to pay. Her poor client was sitting in a chair with dripping wet air drying hair for five minutes while she asked me questions like “can you spell your last name” and “what is the expiration date of this credit card?” She had my credit card. I had to ask her for the card back to read her the expiration date!

Finally on Saturday when we couldn’t find a parking spot in the lot, the attendant told us it was because there were so many dinner reservations that night. That would have made sense except it was 1:30pm. Huh?

All-in-all each of these examples could have been chalked up to silliness, but all together, when you’re paying over $300/night, it’s very off-putting. I’ve stayed in a lot of run-down motels in Montauk before and they are not nice, but the staff seems like they at least have pulses and can answer basic questions.

I would not recommend the Bath and Tennis and I’m frankly shocked anyone can hold a successful wedding there given how clueless the staff appear.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank frannyandzooey
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
Bay Watch Hotel & Marina
#5 of 12 in Hampton Bays
Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End

Been to The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis? Share your experiences!