“Perfect for Eating at the Beach”

John Scott's Surf Shack
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 27 June 2018

This beach "shack" is wide open to the breezes and offers a shade from the sun. Fresh fish and seafood are the basis for many of the dishes that are surprisingly good. It's very informal and the prices are right, a surprise given its location on Dune Road.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Stopped into John Scott Surf Shack for dinner one night when in Westhampton Beach. Have to arrive early because it gets very busy. Food was ok. Had the Lobster Roll--lots of Lobster, but also lots of Mayo. Nice views of the water (opposite side of the beach). Really like the atmosphere.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

We've been wanting to get here but each time, the website says it's open and it's not. Today it was finally open after our day at Cupsogue. Please let me begin by saying I own a restaurant so I have a good understanding of how things work. We get there and are brought outdoors to the seating that is sort of facing the water, which is good since the weather is relatively conducive for sitting outdoors. We're told that the table we're interested in is not for us because they're going to be really busy soon for wings night. Ok, we select a different table. The girl who takes our drink and lunch order takes the order, no questions asked, and then I make my way to the restroom to clean up before eating, and I can hear her with other staff members chuckling over the quantity of food we ordered. Not nice. I get to the restroom, the toilet paper is sitting there in a massive roll while the dispenser is empty, and when I wash my hands, there's a filthy rag sitting on the sink. Lovely. We have our lunch, the food is pretty good but the edamame are beyond salty as were most of the dishes. The "Thai chili" dressing on the shrimp was just some spicy mayo. The margaritas were overly sweet and way off balance. We finished, paid, the guy walking around asked if we wanted our change "now" - nope, we're good, and that's it. Interestingly enough, those tables the hostess said would be super busy for wings night so we couldn't enjoy them were empty until we left. In fact only one table other than ours was taken. Not surprised. Not impressed.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visit the Hamptons pretty much annually and just knew nothing if this place, which is literally just down the road from our Dune Road WHB apartment. We found it by Googling "Lobster Roll". It is, I think, an authentic sea food shack. I had the Manhattan Clam Chowder, low on the veggies, except for big chunks of red-skinned potatoes, had an incredibly rich clam broth, and chunks of clams. Excellent and not at all ordinary. The lobster roll was also very good. We had the Rum Punch, which they modified at my request to exclude orange juice. As to service, it was outstanding. The young woman who served us was attentive, accommodating, friendly but not obtrusive. I read the review critical of a staff member and if accurate I too would not go back. Happily, our experience was the opposite. I am giving the place the highest rating, unusual for tough grader me. Some advice sitting outside here in mid-September, as we did, could be uncomfortable, unless you are warmly dressed.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

If you are looking for a fun place to go in Westhampton Beach... Then this is the place. There is usually a musician. Food is generally good. Staff is always friendly and attentive.
Wednesdays are $20.00 Lobster dinner and Monday night is 20 cent wings. You can't beat that! Great for families couples and singles!

1  Thank IC106