“Disappointed...”

Manhattan Helicopter Tour from Westchester
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in White Plains
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Wings Air, based at Westchester County Airport, offers a wide variety of helicopter services including: Helicopter Charters, Luxury Travel Experiences,Scenic Helicopter Tours over New York and the Hudson Valley, Helicopter Flight School and Introductory Flight Lessons, Aerial Photography / Surveying and Full-Service Aerial Film Production.
Troy, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointed...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have scheduled 3 flights with Wings Air for the helicopter flight with a lesson. I have been cancelled.... 3 times! First time was for weather so no biggie, out of their control... the last 2 cancellations were for "routine maintenance" My flights were each scheduled months in advance. Wouldn't "routine maintenance" be scheduled at a different time than on a Saturday when you are already booked for a flight? Not to mention I am driving over 100 miles for this and have to book a hotel each time. Extremely disappointed with this company and I will take my money elsewhere and never recommend this to anyone else looking for a similar product.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank William G
WingsAir H, Manager at Wings Air Helicopters, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear William:
We are very sorry to hear about all the scheduling difficulties you've experienced with us. 2013 has been a trying year due to prolonged aircraft maintenance, parts being on backorder as well as other factors beyond our control, resulting in a backlog of bookings. We are working 7 days a week to clear this up but due to the increased use the helicopters often require additional work. Please keep in mind that our #1 priority is SAFETY - our high safety standards stand behind 11 years of operation with no incidents and we want to keep it that way. The last thing we want to do is cancel anyone so we made some changes to the way we take bookings, such as opening up weekdays in addition to weekends. Those affected by cancellations are also given the opportunity to take a helicopter tour over New York City at no additional cost, which is done on different aircraft and is an equally (if not more) amazing experience. Feel free to refer to some of our reviews here. We hope to be back to full capacity shortly and would be happy to welcome you aboard in the near future. Thank you.

Novato, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“HORRIBLE, UNRELIABLE, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I bought a Groupon for a private helicopter lesson from WingsAir in March 2013 as a surprise gift for my husband for Father's Day. After calling to schedule the appointment for June and then confirming the appointment, I was told the day before Father's Day that the helicopter was down for routine maintenance and they wanted to reschedule. I asked them why they didn't tell me sooner because I had confirmed the appointment and they knew it was supposed to be a surprise for Father's Day. Not only were they unapologetic, they tried to upsell me on a more expensive package!

After I declined, they rescheduled us for the following month. The day before that flight, they again had "routine maintenance issues", so we rescheduled for a 3rd time for my husband's birthday in October. Just got an email today - "routine maintenance issues" AGAIN since March!

I have serious doubts about the safety of their aircrafts and think their customer service is horrendous. They have no issues cancelling flights with very little notice because it doesn’t suit their schedule or availability.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank WorktoLiveNewYork
We are very sorry to hear about all the scheduling difficulties you've experienced with us. This year has been unusually difficult due to prolonged aircraft maintenance, leading to a backlog of bookings. We are working 7 days a week to clear this up but because the helicopters are constantly working, they also need more attention than usual. (In our world this still falls under the category of 'routine maintenance'.) If we need to cancel anyone, it is NOT at our own convenience or to ruin anyone's special day, but to remain compliant with our high safety standards. They are the reason that we've had 11 years of operation with no incidents and we want to keep it that way. In order to be more accommodating we opened up our schedule for introductory lessons to 7 days a week and have been offering free upgrades to customers affected by cancellations. Additional changes of a larger magnitude are also underway so scheduling should be much easier going forward. Thank you.
White Plains, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Introductory Flight Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I purchased a Groupon for an introductory flight experience. It got rescheduled twice due to helicopter maintenance and weather conditions. Once I finally got to fly it was a great experience. Talyor and Anthony were great pilots and instructors. Views of Westchester from 1,000 feet were great. Before taking over the controls I was able to take some photos to help remember the experience.

Westport, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once in a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

The introductory helicopter flying lesson is an experience not to be missed. We all see helicopters in the movies or on TV, but until you have flown one yourself, you have no idea what is really entailed.

The team at Wings, both in the air and on the ground are wonderful; I felt myself in very capable hands the whole time.

Try it.

Rye, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Wings Air took us on an amazing roundtrip jaunt from White Plains to Glenmere Mansion for my wife's birthday. Wings Air's concierge was exceedingly helpful and efficient in setting up reservations for meals and the spa and had the staff at the hotel prepared to receive us with a warm welcome and plenty of attention. Both departures were made to the minute, such that I was able to sign my credit card slip at dinner and step right out to find our helicopter touching down on the front lawn. The pilot and co-pilot were both clearly very experienced, knowledgeable, and professional and were great guys to chat with to boot. An extraordinary experience all around.