“Very nice hotel, great service”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in White Plains
“Very nice hotel, great service”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for an anniversary. Outstanding service. We had the romance package with came with champagne.and chocolate. I had brought a cake to the hotel earlier which was served to us at our dinner at 42 on a decorated plate. We had dinner at 42 which was amazing with wonderful service. They seemed to be coordinated because the restaurant asked if we wanted anything to the room. Beautiful hotel with amazing service. The only slightly negative I could say was our view wasn't great because the room was already expensive and we didn't pay for a higher grade room. But the room was beautiful so we didn't really need a view.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Impeccable service. Front desk checked me in hours early and assisted me with transportation into Manhattan. The tv is a bit more complicated than it needs to be but no big deal. Rooms are well appointed and luxurious. The linens are comfy and I slept like a rock. It was also quiet. Breakfast was prepared to perfection. The hotel is also an easy cab ride to the airport and a quick walk to the train station. Plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank G0ingn0w
Medina, WA
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We chose the Ritz as a jumping-off place for the historic homes and towns along the Hudson River. We could not have been happier.

Our room was comfortable and clean, with a large and beautiful bathroom.

We ate at B.L.T. Service was excellent and the food was very good. Portions were ample-enough
to split.

We also ate in the lobby bar. The prices seemed very high, but the food/drink was good.

This seems to be a business hotel but we were extremely happy there (as lady tourists) and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank frogprince
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Great super confy beds, The Lobby Lounge food and service was world class, with kind, personable, and attentive service that is expected from a Ritz Carlton. I would highly recommend this hotel. My stay was memorable and I will come again.

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff that goes a long way.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
rural hinterland
Reviewed 26 April 2011

A few days before our trip to NYC I called the Ritz in Westchester and asked about the availaibility of tea water. I am travelling with my own tea set and tea wherever I go. The front desk had no idea what I wanted. They offered to bring tea to the room, but that is not what I meant. Next they offered to bring a kettle with boiled water to the room for 7 $ (each time). So in the end I came with my own boiler from home plus a gallon of spring water in the luggage.

I also came with 2 spa candles which I wanted to light up for my bath. Unfortunately I had forgotten to also bring matches, and now we couldn't light the candles. My husband asked for matches, but was told that those were "not allowed in the rooms". OK then, no candles lit. That was a disappointment, considering they claim they are striving to "wow" their guests by even reading their minds and fulfilling all their wishes...

Have you ever wondered how they know your name when you walk in for the first time,and you are NOT a celebrity? So how did they know it is you? We figured it out: they all wear ear pieces, and when my husband spelled out his name for the valet who took our car upon arrival, the name was sent into all ear pieces nearby. That also leads to funny moments when the first member in that chain gets it wrong and says the name wrong - the following service members are repeating the mistake then as well... But that was just amusing, not a problem at all.

We were indeed greeted warmly and with all respect, as if we had been guests there before. But it was actually our very first time in any Ritz. We had assistance with the luggage and were led to our room in the 6th floor.

We had the cheapo room, as I am all about bath rooms, and I don't care much about the other aminities that might come with more expensive rooms or suites. I had been told that ALL rooms in this property had the same standard bathroom, so to get that super great marble bath with rainshower for 3, seperate deep tub (for one!) and 2 sinks, you don't need to get a suite here - a cheapo room will do! And it was just so. This was all I needed to be happy.

Of course there was a super huge TV in the room, and all kinds of attachments for it (game devices, remotes, whatever), but we don't care about US TV, and movies we can watch at home.

There was also a desk with Internet connection options there, I also saw a cable to connect a computer, but we had left our laptop at home, because we knew we would have been charged around 10$ per day for that. So our emails and facebook had to wait for 2 days, not a problem at all.

At booking time I had received a survey, in which they asked all kinds of questions about my preferences. Foam pillows or feather, one bed or two, high floor room or low etc. There was also an option to request "early check in", which I chose together with foam pillows and a high room and one bed. Now I don't know whether the 6th floor was really high, but we got the foam pillows and the one king bed. The early check in was denied, so we had time to go to lunch elsewhere before checking in.

As Vegetarians there was nothing the Ritz could have offered to us, but just a few miles away was the most fantastic AUTHENTIC italian restaurant one can imagine. So we ate there and checked in at the regular time at 3 PM.

I have 2 injured shoulders and cannot sleep in soft beds. Lucky me, they had a very firm bed, very comfortable for me! There were loads of pillows, and several layers of sheets. (I am German, we have a completely different bedding system, so I am not familiar with these sheets)

On the top layer of a bed blanket (which was white) I saw a black stroke, like from a marker (Edding). I am sure the sheet had been washed, all looked fresh, so I guess it hadn't come out in the washing. Also interesting to see that there had been a small hole in one of the bed sheets which had beeen manually repaired. So they don't waste the textiles, they repair them! That was OK, since everything was clean (as in: freshly washed).

The view out the window was nothing special, just the backside of some businesses, and the roof of a church. But we have great views at home (only nature, no human neighbours), so that was not really important. I am only mentioning that in case somebody thinks he is booking a room in a 42 story hotel and expects a great view from that. (The hotel is only in the first 10 floors of the building, above that are only condominiums!)

If you read anywhere that they are giving out slippers and Bulgari toiletteries - you will be disappointed, because they no longer do that. No slippers! But we had brought our own indoor shoes, so it wasn't a problem. And since the floor was so clean, I didn't mind to walk without shoes there.

The toiletteries were their own (Ritz Carlton brand), so who knows who actually made that. I had brought my own french products, so it wasn't really important.

We stayed only one night, as the main purpose of our NYC trip was a concert we had visited. We checked out the next day at 12. Before leaving we wanted to get up on the top floor to have a view down from the 42 floor, but the restaurant was only open for dinner (not lunch), and so the elevators were locked up, too. Not a huge problem, but it would have been nice...

At checking out my husband noticed we had been charged twice the 30 $ Valet fee (which is applied by number of hours, and we stayed less than 24 hours, but were charged 48 hours). Upon notice the front desk appologized and printed a new invoice.

And then we were off the property and we realized we had forgotten our printed directions up in the room... Not the hotel's fault, ours only, of course. But since the checking in and out is so complicated with so many servants at all times, we didn't dare to drive back and walk in to ask whether anybody would bring us the papers down. So we found our way home by simply looking at road signs, and we did make it home in the end. It was a bit adventurous, but we came home safely.

I would like to go back to THAT Ritz Carlton property (in Westchester), as it was a nice room for only slightly more than a 4 stars hotel elsewhere. Other Ritz hotels in other locations have higher rates and other room standards, so that would be a whole different story. But I would come back here if I had anything to do in New York again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Albgardis T
los angeles
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This hotel was comfortable. I slept well and the rooms were clean. The bathroom was gorgeous and the receptionists, bellmen, and doormen were very kind. I also felt as though the food at the hotel was not as expensive in comparison to other high end hotels. This might be because I have not stayed at a Ritz Carlton property for a year or two, but I feel like the chain has been gradually loosing quality and cutting corners (see my review on the Boston property). I remember the days when Ritzs used to place mats by your bed with very comfy slippers, have an abundant amount of Bulgari soaps, and serve guests more with a "smile." The Bulgari soaps were not there and I had to ask for the slippers. I will definitely stay at this property again because it is the nicest property in the location. However, I really wish my slippers, Bulgari soaps, and hotel employees almost fighting to assist me would return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Lovz2Travel
Hanover, MD
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I booked my reservation using Marriott award points. The reservation agent was very nice in handling the reservation. After booking the 3 nights she told me a little bit about the hotel, she stated that overnight parking was $24.00. I asked if there was self-park and she said yes. She also mention that I would be able to use the club and have complementary breakfast each morning. As she pulled up my profile she noted all the request that were there, including a feather free room. I was so looking forward to my stay in White Plains.
When I arrived, there was major congestion in the front of the hotel. Cars were parked without drivers in the driveway. After about 5 minutes I tried to get the attention of a bell person. He told me to wait and someone would be with me. I told him I wanted to self park and was looking for the garage, he said this hotel only provides valet service. A few minutes later an attendant came and told me to leave keys in the car and he would take care of it.

I went to the front desk to check in and the front desk person could not find my reservation. I gave her the confirmation number and she said it did not exist. After about 5 minutes or so, she said she located it. I was checked in and I confirmed with her that my room was feather free, she said yes it is noted in the reservation and the room was ready. I asked about the club and she said the property did not have one.

Walking through the lobby to the elevator, the ambience felt more like a Westin hotel. it didn't have the feel of a Ritz Carlton; the front desk staff didn't seem to have that Ritz Carlton flare and persona. Responses were very curt. I arrived in my room and while it was a nice upgrade, the bedding was feathered and the pillows were feathered. I phoned the front desk and they said they would take care of it. This was round 3pm. I had a function to attend at 6:30pm. It took them a while to come and change the room. When I arrived back around 10pm, the bedding was changed.

At check out, I noticed the price for parking was $30.00. I asked the staff about that and the response was that is the price. I quoted the reservation person's quote of $24.00. I then inquired if the reservation staff may have the wrong information about the club and the parking information. She did not seem interested in finding out. I asked if she would check and see and if the price for parking is different between the two offices maybe I can get a few dollars credit. She said she would let me know. I have yet to hear from anyone.

Overall the hotel room was nice, just not your typical Ritz Carlton. So, if you are looking for the Ritz experience, it's not in White Plains. The hotel is located near shopping and restaurants, which may be the only exciting thing about the property.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown
HYATT house White Plains
HYATT house White Plains
#4 of 7 in White Plains

Been to The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester? Share your experiences!