“Retirement home renting out spare rooms, advertising as a hotel.... Unacceptable!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esplanade Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This may have been a 'hotel' 50 years ago, but it is now a retirement community. I believe they are renting out empty rooms as "hotel" rooms to supplement business. 24 hour cancellation policy is their "bait and switch insurance policy". Getting off of the elevator, was almost run over by someone in a wheelchair coming from the dining hall and residence sitting in the common areas. Housekeeping worker was later seen assisting an elderly resident through the hall. Room was 100+ degrees. Keys didn't work. Very outdated. Bedding and mattress were disgusting. Staff was rude when confronted about the concerns, and no management was on site to discuss refund or cancellation. This was like a really bad joke... Where is the hidden camera? Seriously!!!! Unbelievable.

• Stayed March 2014
6 Thank Travelchick326

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed in a deluxe studio king about 5 times in 2013.The location of the hotel is great, as it is close to restaurants, stores, parking and public transportation to NYC. The room was large, very clean, with big windows providing a light open feeling.The room had a comfortable bed with nice, functional furniture, and a kitchenette that included a full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, coffeemaker, range and some dishes.The TV set is not a flat screen, but it has the usual cable channels, including HBO. The breakfast room is self service, with a nothing special "continental" breakfast, and free WI-Fi.The breakfast room is open 24/7 for Wi-Fi use.There is also a small exercise room that is open 24/7. This is NOT a luxury hotel, but for the location it is a great value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ag2128
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

This place is a dump, for $200 for the night, i don't think they have upgraded since 1980. It was warm out, but because it was winter, the central heat was on, and you can't control it. Front desk says just open the window if they work. No screen. Had to listen to a huge party out side, so no sleep. I asked to talk to a manager, and there isn't one available. Spend an extra hundred or drive another 30 minutes, DON'T STAY HERE.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jerrymellivie

Travellers are raving about these White Plains hotels

La Habra, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We got lost during a severe storm and wound up in White Plains. We were referred to this hotel by another hotel that was full. It's a well kept secret on a side street without prominent signage. When I declined their basic room I was offered a premium room which was large and attractive, with a complete set up for a family including a large refrigerator, large microwave and dishes. Parking was a block away in a public lot. The staff was friendly and the manager was helpful. The price was higher than we were used to in California but apparently quite fair for this upscale community. There was construction noise some mornings from across the street. We intended to stay one night but wound up staying 6 days because we liked it. Location is excellent.

Room Tip: Our premium room was well worth the extra price. Weekly rates are much lower than daily.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank California9
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I would stay away from this hotel. I'll start off with two advantages: location is good and price is fair for a location inside a city. for long term stay, there is value with the price. However, as a business traveler, you will be disappointed with this hotel.

The service is poor. I stayed there this week and ran into issues with the room (see below). Not once did I receive an apology or compassion - just matter of fact responses. When I asked, prior to my check in at 5 pm, to cancel the reservation due to logistics changing on my end, I wasn't able to. I asked that the desk manager be called and he wasn't even interested in speaking to me - just to the receptionist. This is un-customary in the competitive hospitality business.

The hotel lobby is un-inviting. It doesn't look like anything you've seen in any m/hotel.

Next, the room. The keys did not work and had to change them 3 times. The decor is very outdated and the room not maintained (peeling paint, etc.). Amenities are almost non-existent. My room did not have a remote for the TV, air conditioner with no thermosthat so had to turn off/on as the climate changed (I had to change rooms since the A/C wasn't heating) all throughout the night. No WIFI, linen is very basic. I stayed overnight and during breakfast, all the food was still displayed with wrappers and nobody cared to prepare it for the guests. The hotel reception desk was empty. It is these little things that show lack of care and attention for the business guests. I would recommend spending $50 more and staying at one of the chains. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank o2013
Stony Point, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Decided last minute to stay in White Plains so I could be close to where I was taking a big exam. No other hotels were available as a result of the hurricane. What a horrible place! Upon check in they didn't even tell me about breakfast and upon check out the front desk was closed. I had to walk across the street in the cold to check out at the senior housing. Walked into my room and it smelled horrible. I opened my deodorant and left that on the night stand next to me to try and help. My shower had hair and dirt all over! I had to shower so after running it for a little and the dirt remained, I used a towel to line the floor of the shower. Then the water wasn't draining. Oh and the towels are so small. The carpet was coming up in the room, the bed sheets were yellow. Slept in long pants and long sleeves and grabbed a blanket from my car to line the bed. I did not complain to anyone because I was focused on my exam and didn't want to work myself up. They will get an email from me though. That being said, I did not leave a tip in the room!! Thank goodness i only had to spend about 12 hours there. I feel horrible for anyone needing extended stays and getting stuck there!

Room Tip: Don't book any room here!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank shannon c
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We were victims of Hurricane Sandy. We paid for 5 days. On the 3rd day, although we locked our door & put do not disturb sign on the door, we returned from the playground at about 3:30 to find our room burglarized: there we were without a home & about $800 worth of items was stolen! There security was greatly lacking. The management credited our 2 remaining prepaid days but wouldn't even refund the day of the theft. Also, tv didn't work; they did not provide adequate sheets; grungy bedding, empty beer can greeted us in the closet....a nightmare experience...they really took advantage of people in need ...probably even an inside job.

• Stayed November 2012