“The pure horror...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitehall
neumünster
“The pure horror...”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We had booked through hotel.com for 66 Dollar incl. Tax, the manager was very friendly and made a dibit of 77 Dolar from our creditcard. As we saw the room, we can´t believe.It stank terrible and the room was dirty and dark. The furniture was about 30 years old ore more. As we wanted to unpack our suitcases,a mouse ran through the room, really. About the beetle in the room I do not want to talk.We leave the hotel immediately, The manager said it would be because the hotel is so close to the forest!!!To all the people who plan to stay here:about 15 miles further, there are plenty of decent hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marcus M

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 October 2011

On the afternoon of Thursday, October 6th, I had called the Budget Inn directly to set up my reservations. After several attempts, no one answered so I left a voice mail and then called Hotels.com to complete it. In the morning, housekeeping knocked on my door and informed me the owner wanted to see me. Upon walking into the office, the owner attacked me by asking why I had gone through Hotels.com as it caused him to lose money. He complained that although he hadn't been on the premisis to answer my calls, I should not have gone through Hotels.com. The owner repeatedly exclaimed to me that I had cheated the company by accepting the price which Hotels.com provided me and demanded I pay an additional amount. I refused and returned to the room to pack. He said to my friend that he doesn't want “people like you here.”

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Inthismoment7
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We booked four rooms for a youth group while on a road trip. We had planned to tent camp, but due to storm warning, we decided to find a motel. It was the only motel in town, and we were pretty sure it was going to be rough. Indeed it is very worn, with holes in carpet, peeling paint, missing caulking and mold in places. However, the beds were clean, we slept well, and the showers did not run out of hot water, even with four teens using it per room. The front desk was very responsive, providing extra towels etc. The TV's worked fine, as well as the AC, fridge and microwave. We did have one two-room "suite" where the AC did not reach the front room. We did not use it's "kitchette" as it was a little scary. The housekeeping staff live in one of the front rooms. They were out front having barbecue. They voluntarily came over to provide extra service as we sat out on the porch and ate our supper; fetching chairs, ice etc. All the staff we dealt with were very responsive and cheerful. On the downside the internet did not work, and two of the rooms really smelled of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Silver Creek, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the motel only because we had a funeral to attend. We were not impressed at all. We arrived and there was a note on the door of the office to go knock on a door to another room for service. The office is run down and has signs that specifically state NO REFUNDS. The man that checked us in was pleasent. We were given our room key and given directions to get there. We went to the room and the walkway was not even shoveled, we had to push the snow to open the door. The smell when we entered the room was a cross between an old bowling alley, dirty feet, and mold/must. My husband opened the mini fridge and there was half eaten leftover food in there. The bathroom door did not close. The lighting was awful. The curtains were not completely attached to the rod and did not close. The TV did not work, and yes it was plugged in. We did not have time to go to the office to request a different room because we had to get to the funeral home. So we sucked it up and I sprayed Lysol and Fabreezed everything just to kill the smell. When we woke up in the am we both had headaches and needed fresh air. When I closed the shower door it was covered with mildew. We could not wait to leave the room!!!! When I checked out at 8:30 am I rang the bell at the office (the open sign was on) the man answered the door barely dressed and had just woken up when I rang the bell. When we left our clothes stunk and so did we like the room. When I got home it took me 4x's to wash my hair to get the smell out. All my luggage and coats, and whatever else that was in there needed to be washed to get the smell out.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cwbuff0
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2010

First of all the room smelled horrible! I attempted to use all the perfume I had on me to cover the stink! The bathroom sink was completely pulled away from the wall and the single stall shower looked like it haden't been cleaned in months! Thankfully I only stayed one night, as I would NEVER have considered myself clean showering there! I was afraid to leave my luggage in the room when I left, as the staff looked less than honorable. I believe there were actual residents in the room next to me that actually live there! I was extremely uncomfortable and disgusted with this stay. I informed my boyfriend, who was there for his construction job, that I refused to visit hm again if he continued to stay in this hotel. I never did visit him again, but even the construction crew was so disgusted that they moved out of the hotel the next week. If I didn't love this man, I would have broke up with him on the spot for considering it appropriate to take me to such a dump. When he asked, "Do you think you're better than this hotel?" I responded, "EVERYONE IS BETTER THAN THIS HOTEL!" And you are too - please do youself a favor and never EVER stay at this place. And don't be impressed because they have free itnernet - it only works half the time from half of the rooms and yours probably won't be one of them! Oh, and another thing - the mattress was so bad (and likely filled with bed bugs), that we had to sleep sideways!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberlee4
New York
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I don't know WHY Trip Advisor has this "motel" (definitely not "hotel") on their top-rated. It should be condemned!! Doesn't Trip Advisor have people who check these places before giving a thumbs-up?? Did the writer get a free room so felt obligated to write something good? We stayed here (for about 1/2 hour) because there was no other hotel in all of Whitehall that was open. First of all, this shabby, run-down joint looks like it should be condemned. Then we went into the small, old office (looking like something out of a murder movie) and the guy who worked there looked dirty and he stunk. It was really hot and we went into the room and the a/c didn't work. As far as the room, it looked like it had the original bedspread from when the place was first opened years about 35 ago. It looks like one of those TV shows where people take a black light in and then go "OH, YUCK!!!". Don't sit on that BED or that CHAIR, and don't sit on that TOILET! We asked for a different room and it was just as bad. We asked for our money back, headed up the road about 20 minutes more, to Rutland, Vermont, just over the NY border, and got a beautiful room at a local chain hotel for the same rate...AND we didn't have to worry about bugs creeping up on us in the middle of the night...DON'T STAY HERE!!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank notpickybut
Cassadaga NY
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We were not given a double bed room as requested. We had to wait for a response when we got there by ringing a bell. We had to go back to the office and get a battery for the TV. We had to unplug the lamp by the bed as I kept getting shocks. The over the bed lamp had the cord run very tightly behind the headboard that I felt it a fire hazzard. The sink was plugged and there were cob webs under the desk, TV, and table and chairs. The air conditioning had no controls you could just plug it in. The windows did not open. The sheets did not fit the bed. The room was non smoking but had burn holes in the floor in the bathroom. The shower curtain was way too small and the floor gave while I stood in the shower. I would never go there again and I would NEVER recomend it to anyone. Whom ever liked this place must have never been to a real motel hotel. A friend tried to call into the room and NO ONE answered the phone!!! At the main desk. The photos that the other person has must have been the switch and bate rooms. They did not exist

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank ferd14718
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Fair Haven
Super 8 Ticonderoga
Super 8 Ticonderoga
#2 of 6 in Ticonderoga

Been to Budget Inn Whitehall? Share your experiences!