“Do not stay here! Dirty! Old! Crreepy! Run-down!”

Budget Inn Whitehall
Budget Inn Whitehall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitehall
New York
“Do not stay here! Dirty! Old! Crreepy! Run-down!”
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I don't know WHY Trip Advisor has this "motel" (definitely not "hotel") on their top-rated. It should be condemned!! Doesn't Trip Advisor have people who check these places before giving a thumbs-up?? Did the writer get a free room so felt obligated to write something good? We stayed here (for about 1/2 hour) because there was no other hotel in all of Whitehall that was open. First of all, this shabby, run-down joint looks like it should be condemned. Then we went into the small, old office (looking like something out of a murder movie) and the guy who worked there looked dirty and he stunk. It was really hot and we went into the room and the a/c didn't work. As far as the room, it looked like it had the original bedspread from when the place was first opened years about 35 ago. It looks like one of those TV shows where people take a black light in and then go "OH, YUCK!!!". Don't sit on that BED or that CHAIR, and don't sit on that TOILET! We asked for a different room and it was just as bad. We asked for our money back, headed up the road about 20 minutes more, to Rutland, Vermont, just over the NY border, and got a beautiful room at a local chain hotel for the same rate...AND we didn't have to worry about bugs creeping up on us in the middle of the night...DON'T STAY HERE!!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank notpickybut

Cassadaga NY
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We were not given a double bed room as requested. We had to wait for a response when we got there by ringing a bell. We had to go back to the office and get a battery for the TV. We had to unplug the lamp by the bed as I kept getting shocks. The over the bed lamp had the cord run very tightly behind the headboard that I felt it a fire hazzard. The sink was plugged and there were cob webs under the desk, TV, and table and chairs. The air conditioning had no controls you could just plug it in. The windows did not open. The sheets did not fit the bed. The room was non smoking but had burn holes in the floor in the bathroom. The shower curtain was way too small and the floor gave while I stood in the shower. I would never go there again and I would NEVER recomend it to anyone. Whom ever liked this place must have never been to a real motel hotel. A friend tried to call into the room and NO ONE answered the phone!!! At the main desk. The photos that the other person has must have been the switch and bate rooms. They did not exist

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank ferd14718
Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 June 2008

Well, I will never ever stay here again. The people that said this was a nice place and nicely decorated must be out of their minds. Oh, maybe if they enjoy 50's decor AND NOT RETRO, just old. The light fixture in the room was an old circular flourescent light like the ones that used to be in Mom's kitchen (if you are over 50 that is). TV worked but had so much statiC you couldn't see the picture and don't turn up the volume it only got worse. The AC UNIT was huge leading one to believe it too was from 1950 and it had to be plugged in to operate. No top sheet on the bed, the blankets had burn holes in it as well as the bathroom floor....ok won't even go into the bathroom. Frankly afraid to turn OFF the lights for fear of what would come out. Knew it wasn't 5 star or even 2 but this was ridiculous. Oh, if it matters, the back building didn't have any hot water, pretty awful for a bunch of 50ish BIKERS.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mharter731
connecticut
Reviewed 1 November 2007

I really enjoyed my stuff the staff was great and the rooms are very clean i would like to tell everyone who comes in whitehall to stay in budgetinn. it is the best hotel around whitehall

• Liked — the clean rooms and the nice staff
  • Disliked — everything was good
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank traveler2007055
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 15 September 2007

I want to dispell the negative image that the other reviewer gave to this very nice, clean and well-run motel! I don't know who wrote that review, the Queen of England? Trust me, I'm critical and look for a good value, and this little roadside motel passed my inspection and then some. It was very clean and nicely decorated, had a small refrigerator and microwave, large color tv with extensive cable channels, and was quiet and run by nice people, all for $65 for the night! It's close to restaurants, and if you are visiting a friend or loved one at Great Meadow, it's only about 7 minutes away! You can book a room in advance or just walk in, but I booked a room , since I'd driven a long way. I WILL happily stay there again soon, and recommend it to anyone in the area! Unless you're used to Buckingham Palace...then you may be disappointed! :)

• Liked — size of room, soft beds, good TV, proximity to where I intended to visit
  • Disliked — a/c
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GMCFvisitor
CT
Reviewed 30 April 2007

After see the facilities and the room, this is the WORST hotel I have seen. Everything was filthy and did not even stay the night! I am wondering if it is even a legitimate Budget Inn............The sign was had made and the whole place gave me the Creeps!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank travels73

Been to Budget Inn Whitehall? Share your experiences!