“Chance find- very pleased”
Review of Whitehall House of Pizza - CLOSED

Whitehall House of Pizza
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
“Chance find- very pleased”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Our gang was getting hungry as we drive up 87 towards VT, so I pulled out google maps and trip advisor to find a pizza place along the way. This was 37 mins out, but had only one review. It was positive, so we winged it. We decided it would be easiest to feed this crew on a single extra large plain cheese and not get all bothered about toppings with six competing interests. I called it in -- yes, they had extra large. "Ready in 20 minutes." I said we were 37 minutes out. "I'll have it ready for you when you get here." said the pleasant and accommodating gent. We arrived to a place you could not call uplifted. Kind of dodgy, really, but not atypical of a roadside pizza joint. No worries, we aren't staying.

As promised our pizza was ready and piping hot--clearly timed for us. Very nice.

Thinking ahead to the possible disasters in the car, I asked for paper plates and napkins, which were eagerly retrieved by the kind staff. "Do you have red pepper packets to go?"
"Of course, I'll get them." and in a flash he had poured a plastic ramekin full and fastened on a lid just for us. Sweet.
$13 bucks and we were on our way.

How was the pizza? Let's ask around:

"Definitely does not beat NY pizza" says my NY born wife referring to the other reviewer.

"it was good." says our youngest, eager to get back to the movie.

"Not as good as the New York pizza" says our voracious daughter.

The others are sleeping. I won't bug them for this review.

I loved it. Thick crust, lightly tanned on the bottom, sweet rich tomato sauce (better than most), and delicious real cheese lightly burned in a couple small spots- neally perfect. It seems my crew likes the super thin floppy crust I an NY pizza. Me, I grew up on greasy thick Greek pizza, and this was the grease-free version of that. Beautiful and satisfying.

Whitehall, NY
“Best Pizza in town”
Reviewed 3 August 2007

I haven't eaten in the restaurant itself, but it seems like a pretty simple affair. Maybe a dozen plain tables, a small television mounted on one corner of the wall, nothing to write home about.

However, I've ordered their pizza for pickup—they don't deliver—more times than I can count, and it has always, without fail, been the yummiest pizza I can get my hands on. I'm a creature of habit, and I always go with extra cheese and pepperoni, so I can't say what the rest of the topping might be like... but it is always unbelievably yummy.

The cheese seems to be a mix... it's not plain mozzarella like most pizza places, but a mix of what my tongue tells me is mozzarella, cheddar, and perhaps others. Whatever they're doing, it works. I've had pizza in NYC countless times, and I'll take Whitehall House of Pizza's over it any day of the week.

3 Thank GoldenSpork