“In Search of WNY's BEST Beef on Weck!”

Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 154 Restaurants in Williamsville
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Westfield, New York
“In Search of WNY's BEST Beef on Weck!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

They had numerous workers behind the counter and they were all busy, but found time to talk. They gave us the history of the place and how they prepared their meat, rolls, etc. All top notch. They also have many other wonderful items besides BOW. They were slicing a BEAUTIFUL prime rib and I asked if I might purchase a sample. The carver cut a slice for me and said, "on me, you will LOVE it!" And I did, I then proceeded to buy some more in addition to my BOW. It was truly the best prime rib I had ever tasted! And I have tasted a few! Truly "melt in your mouth"! Their soups are also killer..all home made and wonderful, but back to our reason for being there, the Beef on Weck!:) Here is our take:

1. BUN-10-Made especially for them and perfect in all ways!
2. QUALITY OF MEAT-10-Rare, moist and wonderful!
3. PREPARATION OF MEAT-10-Succulent and tasty.
4. AMOUNT OF MEAT-7-OK, here is the one area I had trouble with. Although their meat is FABULOUS, they do not pile it very high. In fact the word PILE cannot be used here. There was less than an inch of meat on the sandwich. What there was though was TOP NOTCH!
5. MEAT MOISTURE/JUICINESS-10-PERFECT!
6. SERVED WITH HORSERADISH AND AU JOUS?-5-Horseradish on the table but no au jous even on the bun. Again, it should be served with the sandwich and explained that it is part of the experience of a true BOW.
7. RATE AU JOUS-0-There was none.
8. RATE HORSERADISH-8-Restaurant Service grade. Nothing special.
9. STAFF KNOWLEDGE AND CUSTOMER ACCOMMODATION-10-Friendly work group that is proud of what they make.
10. OVERALL-9-This was a very pleasant visit.

OVERALL AVERAGE-8

COMMENTS: The food here is great as noted by many! Their staff was friendly and enthusiastic and proud to be a part of this establishment. Their people were one of their strongest assets for me. I wish they would place LOCAL horseradish and home made au jous in side cups on each sandwich and let customers know it is part of the experience. I also wish they put more meat on their BOW. It was on the skimpy side. I would prefer to pay more for piled high pink rare beef. All in all this was an EXCELLENT visit and we loved their product! We highly recommend Charlie the Butcher.
Photo: We visited Charlie the Butcher in Williamsville last week. This is one of the Mecca's of Beef on Weck in Buffalo and I do understand why. The restaurant itself is a no-frills fast food set up where you order at the window when you come in and then find a seat until they call your name.

1. BUN-10-Made especially for them and perfect in all ways!
2. QUALITY OF MEAT-10-Rare, moist and wonderful!
3. PREPARATION OF MEAT-10-Succulent and tasty.
5. MEAT MOISTURE/JUICINESS-10-PERFECT!
7. RATE AU JOUS-0-There was none.
8. RATE HORSERADISH-8-Restaurant Service grade. Nothing special.
10. OVERALL-9-This was a very pleasant visit.

OVERALL AVERAGE-8

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rick M

Williamsville, New York
“Great Place for Beef on Weck!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Charlie the Butcher is a great place to have Buffalo's famous Beef on Weck Sandwich ( Roast Beef on a Kimmelweck roll). It's a tiny little place with fresh carved to order sandwiches, Roast Beef, Turkey. I've only had the Roast Beef, it's why I go there! The sweet potato fries are good too!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Beth B
Hoover, Alabama
“Outstanding as usual - Great Beef on Weck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We always stop at Charlie the Butcher for our Beef on Weck fix. Great sandwich, very friendly people. Carved to order this sandwich is a Buffalo classic and this is the best place to get your fix.

• Visited January 2014
Pace, Florida
“A MUST Try and one of my all time favorites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Talk about one of the best little hole in the wall type places on earth and I will bring up Charlie the Butcher's. I have had to travel to Buffalo several times over the last few months for business and one of the locals told me about Charlie's. The Beef on Weck sandwich is out of this world (along with their turkey and meat loaf sandwiches!) I literally would pretty much only eat at Charlie The Butchers when I would visit, it is that good!

One day that I went the cashier accidentally overcharged my credit card but she noticed it herself and fixed it immediately. The next day I went in again and they said the meal was on them for the mistake. They didn't have to do that but that's Charlie's, amazing food and great people.

If you are ever in the Buffalo area you must try Charlie the Butcher. There is also an "express" location inside one of the gas stations near the airport that is good as well but a trip to the original is a must for any Buffalo trip. I very rarely give anything a 5 out of 5 but Charlie the Butchers absolutely deserves it!

• Visited December 2013
West Newton, MA
“Buffalo classic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I always bring out-of-town visitors here for the one-of-a-kind beef on weck. I personally like the sweet sauce/relish, but most enjoy the usual salty meat juice or horseradish.
Go in the summer to sit outside and soak up the sun.