“Can't wait to go back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Lake Placid / Whiteface Mountain KOA
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We had an awesome time there. Friends recommended this place to us and we will go back for sure. There is so much to do and see in the area. The park folk are very friendly and the sites were perfect. I have 4 daughters ages 4 to 13 and they loved it. There were a lot of activities in park for everyone. The free Wi-Fi was was good (had some hickups around 8 to 9 pm.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!

2  Thank Moe_Best

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I've stayed at a KOA before in Florida and I enjoyed it, but this was a whole category above my previous experiences. Breathtaking scenery, clean, well run, nice bathrooms/showers, wifi in your cabin, it was almost "too comfortable"! This place is a great family getaway. They even have a great pool and game area for the kids.

Just walk down the hill and you're fishing for trout in a pristine gorge with waterfalls, there is lots to do in the area... photography options abound... we literally didn't bother spending much time in Lake Placid town, Wilmington is better if you're into the outdoors. Do yourself a favor while there, go to the top of Whiteface mountain. The summit is wheelchair accessible and the view is beyond stunning.

I give it a 10/10.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

This was our first KOA experience and it was all we hoped for and more. The park is extremely clean and well maintained. We stayed here in a travel trailer but the tent sites looked beautiful and the park was adjacent to a mountain brook that would have looked at home in a hollywood movie - magical. We stayed here in 3 nights and we will go back.

1  Thank Shelley I
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Sites are nice size.
Location is very good and easy access.
Wifi kept going down while we were here and when up very slow in peak times. Very inadequate service.
Bathrooms we did not use.
Cable was very good.
Overall clean appearance.
Sites could use gravel for what you pay. Mainly dirt in sites which is slimy mud in rain.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 6 August 2012

KOA is always a sure bet. Campground was clean and staff was friendly. It is close to Whiteface Mountain and all the natural spots close to it. During peak weeks in the summer ithe KOA can be very crowded. I wish they had more advise on what to do, other than the usual commercial maps and fliers. We found a beautiful beach in the AuSable river the last day we stayed at the KOA. It was a hot week and that beach would have been appreciated earlier in the week.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NBLINY
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Spent 4 nights here with my wife, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Overall, I think this place is great and a very affordable and convenient way to be close to Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain. There were a few minor things that I wasn't crazy about (I'll list those further down in the review) but overall I loved the place and can definitely say that I will be back many times over the next few years.

The grounds are kept very well. The main house is a very nice Adirondack style log cabin that has a camp store and general check-in area on the first floor. The second floor is a dining room type area where they sell breakfast, lunch and (I believe) dinner. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food but the breakfast menu had a lot to offer the day we stopped in for coffee. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The campground is a straight and short 10 mile drive into Lake Placid village. I biked it one day....it's a little hilly but not too bad. The campground has a lot for kids (a pool that is nice size and very clean; an arcade with pool, air hockey and ping pong tables; a playground; and a craft area where kids can paint pottery, etc). The campground is also a short walk to some great hiking trails along the Ausable (sp?) river. The bathrooms were clean whenever I used them.

Ok, now for the few nitpicky things. I will preface this by saying that I don't consider myself a camper and can only compare this place to one other campsite so this stuff may be par for the course at most campgrounds. Our tent site had electric but the outlets were so far from the tent pad that we needed an extension cord. Not being experienced campers...we didn't bring one. The tent site didn't have its own water for cleaning dishes, etc. All in all that is it for the negatives.

Wrapping up...would I stay here again... Absolutely, and I will at least twice next year. Would I recommend the campground: Absolutely. Recommendations: If you are a serious camper and want some peace & quiet ask for the rustic campsites....they are towards the back of the park and look very peaceful.

Room Tip: As stated above if you are a serious camper you may want one of the tent sites towards the back of t...