“Absolutely love this little gem in the mountains!”
Review of Grand View Motel

Grand View Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have been staying at the Grand View Motel for years now...and have nothing but rave reviews about this amazing, serene place. The owner Lou is always kind, happy, and extremely knowledgeable about the entire region...the place is absolutely immaculate...the new pool is wonderful and refreshing in the summer...and all you hear is the peaceful sound of nature all around you, not to mention the spectacular view of Whiteface mountain! And to top this all off...the Grand View is extremely reasonable. We will always come here to our little gem in the mountains and continue to recommend this place highly to all our friends!

Room Tip: You would be very happy with any room...all have the same beautiful views!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Wundertchr

Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Grand View Motel is a great choice if you're looking to stay in the High Peaks region without breaking the bank. The rooms are clean, the manager is very courteous and helpful, and the price (with a AAA discount) can't be beat. They have WiFi as well, which is not something you always find at a roadside motel like this. This would be my first choice of motel if I were returning to the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband & I have been staying here on our getaways for quite a few years. The rooms are bright & airy, with the view of Whiteface Mt. from the front door chairs. It's just a few minutes from the village, but away from the bustle. We've gone hiking, canoeing, kayaking and just checking out the area. Our 'home away from home.'

Nancy Ludlow

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Rode into town on my motorcycle and stayed one night. The hot shower was really great and the bed comfy. I swear I could have eaten off the floor, the room was so clean. Although I did make a reservation, I rolled into town shortly before sunset but the proprietor (I assume) was very friendly and accommodating. Didn't use it but noticed a big swimming pool out front. Also got to see a doe with her two fawns down the road a couple of hundred yards. Cute!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BabaAus
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night with the wife. Owner and his wife were super nice and very helpfull. Great brooklyn accent!. The motel room was super clean with new deco and new matress. Very comfortable.good price. Would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Our room was just remodeled. We spent the day hiking and loved the shower-great water pressure! Clean rooms and the desk clerk was very knowledgeable. Wilmington is such a nice town. Definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This review will be as scathing as I can make it. The man who appeared at the desk for my reservation check in did not greet me with any kind of courtesy: No show of pleasantness at all, did not identify himself or act in any way that he thought it was good to have me there spending money to stay at his motel. I was asked abrupt questions, treated rudely and had questions asked with determined brusqueness. When I asked a question about check in, I was told he "just followed the items on the clipboard". I am at a loss as to why anyone running a business would behave in such a discourteous manner.

As it was a holiday weekend, I did not think I could find another room so I removed myself after registering as quickly as possible. I also paid a higher price than I was quoted when he found out I was not a Triple A member, something certainly not clarified during the phone call for reservation.

I visit Wilmington regularly and have been trying different motels. I know multiple people who live in Wilmington and work in the tourism industry, one of which has a graduate degree in tourism and hospitality from SUNY Plattsburgh. Those I spoke to about this were appalled at the inexplicable manners at the front desk and encouraged me to put it on the internet - so here it is.

Who knows what will make the "man behind the desk" act pleasantly as you pay him good money? If you are accustomed to arrogance, this is the place to go. Ask for the "man behind the desk" if you crave being treated like crap. He's good at it.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
grandviewNewYork, Owner at Grand View Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

In response to northcountry review

I remember this guest very well because she was very odd in her mannerism at check in. She had some kind of an unfriendly, very depressing way about her.
She was quoted a discounted rate when she called to make her reservation for only one night on a holiday weekend. She also said that she was a AAA member and received an additional discounted quote. When she arrived, I greeted her, like I do with every guest, with the utmost respect and graciousness. As I checked her in, I requested to see proof of her AAA membership. This is the policy of AAA and requested of every AAA member. I could immediately tell that she had not been a AAA member. She was trying to be deceptive and in an unsuccessful attempt at receiving a discount, had obviously embarrassed herself. Her embarrassment immediately turned into rudeness. This could be her only reason for leaving such a negative review. Regardless, and in spite of being “treated rudely”, she rented the room. She could have left and rented a room at any other motel in the area, with no penalties. There was most definitely availabilities near by. Instead, she choose to stay for great rates, well kept motel grounds and a very clean guest room. Over 30 years of business accommodating thousands of very satisfied guests, all the while treating every guest with the utmost in courtesy and fairness. We receive many positive comments and emails. “Friendliness“, “cleanliness” and “well kept lodging” are just a few of are attributes. Come see for yourself.

Grand View Motel
Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Cadence Lodge at Whiteface
#2 of 9 in Wilmington
Lake Placid Summit Hotel
Lake Placid Summit Hotel
#28 of 31 in Lake Placid

Been to Grand View Motel? Share your experiences!