“Clean, convenient but don't look for luxury or privacy”
Review of Hotel Vienna

Hotel Vienna
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Windham
GreenLeadersGold level
Robbinsville, New Jersey
“Clean, convenient but don't look for luxury or privacy”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

You can't beat the location, it was a short 1-2 mile drive from Windham ski resort and the main business area. There was also a pharmacy, gas station and pizza place nearby. The place itself is a very clean,but outdated, converted motel style hotel. The pros are the location, it's very clean, and there are some nice touches like the fake fire place and free coffe/hot chocolate in the eating area, home made jam, and the bird feeders you can watch while eating. They also have vouchers for a very good midweek rate of $44 at Windham. The pool and hot tub were also very clean, but they are across the small parking lot and not attached. If you like luxury or amenities, like a gym, a pool that's attached, or even a couch/hair dryer/ironing board in your room, then this isn't the place for you. There are also a lot of rules, ie, you can't bring your skis into the place, the front door is locked at 10pm, and the common areas are also closed(like the eating area and basement tv lounge). I think the owners keep a close eye on the place to keep it clean and in good shape so it has the bed & breakfast innkeeper feel to it. The rating is based on a great location w/ a very reasonable rate of $130 per night, so don't try to compare this to a $200-$300+ 4 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jersir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Middletown
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Holidays are often hectic and we can get frazzled, but when mine became especially challenging, I nearly canceled my reservations. A friend who is also a doctor advised me I needed time to relax and reboot. Although driving in the snow was also a bit unnerving, once at this hotel, watching the snow and birds from the breakfast nook area was just what the doctor ordered. The pool and hot tub were gorgeous. Hope to return when the Windham Path is done.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 3432Sandy57
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I too had purchased two nights through Travel Zoo which was a nice deal with a continental breakfast and a bottle of wine when you got to the hotel. The owner Rick was quite hospitable and informed us in hopefully June they would be making a bridge from the back of the hotel to The Windum Path which is a great walk down The road from the hotel. The hotel was nice but a little worn, but very comfortable. I would definitely not go again this time of year as all the stores and restaurants especially on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are not open. A little too quiet but beautiful mountain views. I would definitely try to come back around the spring or summer, hopefully the new bridge will be added!

Martville, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We purchased a Living Social voucher for two nights with wine basket. Our stay was great, very light continental breakfast and 24 hour coffee available. The rooms were very clean, and comfortable, private balcony was great, but the pool house was fabulous. It was cold while we were there and you do have to walk to the separate building, but we brought our hot tub robes, so it was not a big deal. All around glass, for great views, hot tub was a nice addition, we enjoyed it both days. The decor is lots of natural woods and we love that, very nice staff, beautiful fireplace in the breakfast room and huge downstairs lounge with multiple couches, games, large screen
TV and lots of room to stretch out and have fun.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel has great view towards town, but there are a couple of rooms with view blocked by...
1 Thank Cathy14326
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel Vienna on a Travel zoo voucher the end of October 2013.
My first reaction was "this hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever been in !!". I was amused at a little sign on the front door asking you to "please wipe your feet".
The staff was very courteous and helpful and the owner seemed to always be around.
They offer a complimentary continental breakfast which I was skeptical of since at one hotel we stayed at that meant a powdered sugar Hostess donut and OJ.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Stonyfield Yogurts, assorted cold cereals, fresh fruits ,and the most delicious fresh, HUGE croissants. The breakfast room was small but so cozy with a few tables and chairs right in front of a gas fireplace and sliding door over looking the mountains and a very busy birdfeeder. We took our breakfast to our room since there were a few other people in the breakfast room the second morning.

There were no coffee makers in the rooms which at first disappointed me but then I realized the breakfast room is open all the time and there is always fresh coffee and hot water available and it was much easier to go get it than to fumble with those in room coffee makers.
I was pleasantly surprised in the afternoon when I went to get coffee and found a plate of warm delicious chocolate chip cookies on a table!
The hotel was not very big which was perfect . The rooms immaculate and I can think of nothing to improve on. They all have a small balcony . Our bed was quite firm which for me is a problem but my husband loved it.
The bathrooms have huge tub jaccuzis. The pool and hot tub are in a detached building but it was not a problem walking to that . The pool area again was immaculate with beautiful live plants around. The hot tub was not as hot as my husband would have liked.
The little town of Windham is lovely and the staff were eager to point out restaurants to try .
It was a very relaxing time in a hotel we will long remember especially for its cleanliness and hospitality. If you are looking for a hotel in this area do NOT miss this one.

Room Tip: rooms on second floor facing Mountains seemed the best to me.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindybugg22
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was disappointed in this hotel. The woman who checked us in Saturday afternoon was not very friendly. I wish she had told us a little more information about the place. We didnt know that their was a shampoo dispenser in the shower where it was difficult to see it. We didn't know until we were checking out that there was a living room area downstairs. The pool room which is in a different building had a very small pool filled with kids and parents and it was really impossible to enjoy the pool with all the kids jumping and splashing round in small space. We didn't even go in the hot tub which was clogged by kids and family--I thought there should be an age limit for hot tubs.
The refreshment room was pleasant and had a nice view but it was dominated by a number off couples who seemed to know each other and took over the room for the duration of the afternoon and evening. Breakfast was good with lots of fresh pastries, juice and cereal and fruit.
Our room was big with two queen sized beds and a refrigerator and a little table. But the balcony which had a nice view also had many used beer cans which were very off putting. The morning Staff were much friendlier and responsive.
The beds were firm and uncomfortable and the pillows inadequate

2 Thank AmeliaNYCarea
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I really did not expect much from this place. Website looked generic. Room prices were acceptable. But I had to stay somewhere. Reserved over the phone, and got on the road.

What I expected was a mediocre place. Price I paid was similar to a really bad motel that overcharged me one in NJ. Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Amazing experience started with the front desk. A cozy area, and a very friendly woman checked us in. Immediately I felt at home. Glancing from the front desk area, there is a decent sized kitchen area with a fireplace. 2 comfy chairs right next to it. This is where I am writing this review from, while sipping hot cider, and using their free, fast WiFi. And this is where I will enjoy complimentary breakfast that hotel offers tomorrow morning.

Rooms were clean, spacious. Our room has a Jacuzzi, even if older one. A heat lamp was a welcome addition. Only complaint is that hotel using artesian well, that does have a bit of a sulfur smell. They do have a notice placed in the bathroom telling you this, and explaining that it's not harmful and approved by NY Dept of Health.

My only complaints about the room is that TV is a bit on a smaller side, and bed is not soft to my liking. Since last part is individual preference, I cannot fault the hotel.

Keep in mind, front desk closes at 10pm. I told the person over the phone that I may arrive later than that, and she said that they will leave the key for us. And we can formally check in next day.

This place is really a gem. I am glad I stayed here, and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: See if you can get "Mountain View" room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yuriy_Um
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Albergo Allegria
The Thompson House
#3 of 7 in Windham
Copper Kettle Motel Cottages
Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club

Been to Hotel Vienna? Share your experiences!