“Not Bad!”

Cave Mountain Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Windham
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here in June for a funeral. The owners were very friendly and the place was clean and quiet. The decor is a little dated but suits the area. The breakfast/common room clean and equipped with tables and chairs to sit and relax. I only wished they honored AAA/AARP discounts for the weekends. Overall had a good experience and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here in early January with my son. First, the plusses, since I believe most lodges make a good-faith effort to be comfortable and accommodating. The room was dated, but clean with decent mattresses…important after a hard day of skiing, which is why we were there. We bought the stay and ski package, which is a very significant savings. Breakfast was served in an ante-building to the main house. It was a bit chilly in there both mornings, but since it was -10 outside I guess I could understand. The motel is very close to the mountain and town -- not even far enough for the car to get fully warmed up on a cold morning.

My big issue…either the walls in our room were thin or the tools next to us were playing their music too loud and bellowing in drunken voices. I was tempted to go over and ask them to keep it down, but I've done that before and unless you're ready to mix it up or have a posse with you that isn't always the best idea. They turned off the music at about 11-11:30, which was more than an hour after I would have liked to sleep.

The real issue in any review should be, Would I return? Here's what I would say: With my 21-year-old son, who sleeps like a log, of course. He doesn't need high-end accommodations and neither do I for a guys' getaway. And I'll assume that intoxicated jerks won't be there next time I go. Would I stay there with my wife? I'd have to think about it. In the summer, when things are quieter, maybe. Ski season? I think I'd look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I think I'd ask for a room at the far end of the motel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James G
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Cave Mountain Motel exceeded our expectations. Rooms were on the small side but very nice and clean which is all that was important to us. We skied Sat, went there to crash, wake up and ski Sun, no reason to pay more at any of the other more expensive places nearby. The owner was very friendly with a great sense of humor. The free breakfast was a plus. Typical continental: coffee, juice, Danish, coffee cake, muffins, cold and hot cereal. Simple, but I am guessing it would have cost us $30 at the Windham lodge. My daughter left her pajamas in the room when we left. The owner knew we were there with another family and gave the pajamas to them to bring home for us. Overall, a very pleasant experience and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CptElbow
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My boyfriend & I spent the weekend here and overall had a good experience. The weekend ski package was what sold us. The older man who runs the motel was very nice and accommodating. They had a complimentary breakfast which was very convenient and it was about 3 minutes from Windham Mountain. The only complaint I have is that the walls were very thin, the first night a man in the room next to us was snoring and I could hear it in my room. The second night I didn't hear any snoring, so overall I would recommend staying here its a reasonable price, just hope you don't have a neighbor who snores!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauren e
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Came here with our 2 young children for a weekend of skiing. Was very pleased. The room was spotless and cozy. It was not a five star place, but was clean, and very convent to the mountain. The free breakfast was perfect also.
The only complaint is that the beds were a little on the hard side, but thats just my preference. All in all it was a great place to stay and you can't beat the price

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hdogiakis
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Every time I travel up to Windham I stay at the Cave Mountain Motel. It's a quiet, delightful place to stay at. The owners are very kind and helpful, and they always remember me. You can't beat the price, and the rooms are very cozy and clean. If you're looking for a comfy cozy place to stay at, Cave Mountain Motel is the perfect little winter getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gencina R
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was stopping in and had called early. They seemed courteous enough on the phone. When I arrived the older couple who runs the property were absolutely downright rude. Argued with me in the most unprofessional way. No way was I giving them any business after such terrible customer service. Also the office smells like a mixture of cat pee and mold. Not recommended. My stay at the Copper Kettle down the street was wonderful and I was dealt with professionally and kindly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank KRadford_13
CaveMountain, Owner at Cave Mountain Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for an opportunity to respond .There are always two sides to a story. But, Unfortunately,
we are not always able to give it! . We love our guests..99.9% are wonderful. But occasionally
we have one or two that are not happy no matter what. This gentleman was one of them.
He was demanding and quite offensive and a little belligerent. So he was asked to leave.
I'm sorry he felt the need to slander us and our motel by lies and false accusations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 2 in Prattsville
Winwood Inn & Condos
Winwood Inn & Condos
#5 of 7 in Windham

Been to Cave Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!