All reviewscookiesthe kitchencarriage housebaked goodsmy husband and ispring waterfrittataprivate porchbed and breakfasttea and coffeebreakfast was amazingpancakesowners and staffdvd libraryfire piteach morningfresh fruit
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We went to the Catskills to hike, and found the Albergo this past weekend. Everything was wonderful. The room was beautifully decorated and clean and we couldn't have been more comfortable. The two breakfasts we had in the dining room were delicious and the staff was great. Thanks for a great getaway weekend!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My fiance and I stayed at this lovely B&B this Memorial Day weekend and were truly impressed. Lenore is a truly lovely and wonderful person! From the minute we set foot in the Inn she made sure we were taken care of and happy. We stayed 5 nights, longer than anyone else that weekend, and loved every minute of it. Breakfast was always such a joy to look forward to, every special was wonderful! As others have mentioned the water takes some getting used to....actually I don't think I ever did, I rushed in the shower when I returned to NYC. But it is also not the end of the world. I have fallen in love with this place and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We had looked online for a place to stay in Windham just the week before arriving. We usually look around quite a bit before finding a place we really like the look of but in this case we could tell from our visit to the "Guest Rooms" page on their website that 1 of the Carriage House Suites had everything we were looking for -- tranquility -- an atmosphere supportive of relaxation.

Albergo Allegria exceeded our expectations! The owner met with us upon our arrival at 7 pm and walked us through the main Inn stopping off in the Kitchen to show us an assortment of goodies (cookies, cakes, coffees and teas) which she explained were here for us to stop in and have whenever we would like them. She then took us to our suite which was gorgeous and spotless!

There is wonderful attention to detail throughout the entire room -- whoever designed the room really had impeccable taste and sure had their eye on creating that relaxing atmosphere we wanted. The room featured a fireplace (shut off in the summer), a comfortable king size bed with high quality bedding, a TV, fridge, nice robes, shutters which open from the bedroom allowing view of the hot tub (which is within the bathroom), several sitting areas, 20' ceilings and two private entrances.

Breakfast was wonderful with fresh and high quality ingredients. We chose from three options. The servings are moderate in size and were enough for us but the waitress stated several times that the chef is happy to cook a second serving. In addition, there are breads, cereals, pastries, fresh fruit and juices available which are self serve. You are encouraged to have as much as you like.

There are movies available for rent although we ended up with a VHS tape and then later discovered our room only had a DVD player. I suggest you look at what you're room has before taking out a movie. Perhaps some titles are in VHS while others are DVD.

We will return to Albergo Allegria! The innkeepers are incredibly kind and make you feel right at home. I have already recommended it to several friends.

I was sad to see the last review - seems they began their stay the night after we left. The owner noted the sulphur in their water. We were not discouraged by this and the water did not smell bad. I once lived in upstate NY in Saratoga Springs and their water was not excellent for showering (it is hard from the mineral content).... I know this may seem surprising to some being that many speak highly of Saratoga water for drinking and bathing. Some believe that this water restores you -- a concept the Albergo Allegria Innkeeper mentioned regarding this type of water. Just note your hair just may not feel as soft as you'd like after you've showered in it but still the water is fine and certainly shouldn't deter you from staying here. The hot tub in our room was wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We got caught in construction on the way from CT and knew we were going to arrive late. Called the inn from the road to let them know. We were assured that our room key would be waiting for us at the desk, no matter how late we arrived. Wrong! No room key, no desk person and no way to tell which was our room. They all have cute little nameplates so we wandered around looking for the Millennium room. No luck. Called the owner from the phone by the desk that said to use only in an emergency. She directed us to the ONE room that had no nameplate at all, and assured us it would be unlocked and waiting for us. We opened the door. My husband stepped in, and I heard him say, "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you!" and closed the door. THERE WAS SOMEONE IN OUR BED.

Called the owners again. They didn't believe us. We emphasized that there was a real live person in the bed. Finally, they agreed to come over to the inn to see for themselves. Sure enough, there was a person in our room and in our bed. The owners were apologetic but did not turn the man out. Instead they gave us a room in another building (not the main building and not the PRIMO room we had booked). They assured us we could have OUR room the next day. By this time, it was 2 am, and I was steaming.

The next morning, we went to check out the full breakfast. The main part of the breakfast is cooked to order from a list of choices, so we ordered ham and eggs. We were each served a half of a piece of ham. For $209 a night, I expected a full piece of ham.

The owner apologized again for the previous night and tried to explain what had happened, as if I cared. She didn't seem to think it was that odd or that much of an inconvenience to us. They moved our stuff to the Millennium Suite, which featured a large hot tub (our motivation for selecting it).

However, we did not know that the water in this area of New York is full of sulfur. It smells, it's slimy, and it's impossible to feel clean after bathing in it. Taking a shower and washing my hair in flowing rotten eggs was no better. Forget about drinking it. Granted, this is not the inn's fault but they should have mentioned it on their website.

We stayed a total of 3 nights - two nights in the room we booked and that first night in the substitute room. We WERE given a $40 discount for the substitute room. I think the whole stay should have been discounted based on what happened. That is just good customer service, in my view.

Here is what we learned from this trip:
- We will never EVER go back to the Albergo Allegria.
- We will investigate the water quality wherever we plan to go.
- Just because a place is expensive, that does not mean it is good.
- An inn that serves a half piece of ham is not displaying quality customer service. We should have left after the first night.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RFMezzy
albergo, owner at Albergo Allegria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2009

Dear rfmezzy:

I was saddened to see the review you posted 11 months after your stay here at the inn. Exceptional customer service remains our goal at Albergo Allegria and after your stay nearly a year ago we have made some changes. The name plate has been affixed to the Millennium Suite door since you voiced your frustration with finding your room. Being that it was the middle of the night and your call had awoken me from a deep sleep it was with bewildered surprise that I rhetorically asked “are you sure there is someone in your room?” In my 23 years of running the Albergo Allegria this had never happened before. It wasn’t that I didn’t believe you; I just couldn’t believe this had happened. The mistake of checking-in another guest to your reserved room was grave and attributed to the termination of an employee. I didn’t feel that removing the Millennium Suite’s occupant at 2:00am would serve you well. Asking you to wait while he pack his bags, I change the bedding, sanitize the bathroom and service the room to our high standards would only have delayed you being able to get some rest.

I think had you been able to check in without incident as was planned, you would have had a wonderful and memorable ‘for the right reasons’ stay.

I know there is nothing I can say or do to change your view of the inn or entice you to give us another chance. For this I am truly sorry.

Sincere Regards,
Lenore Radelich
Innkeeper/Owner

Reviewed 17 February 2009

Stayed here as two couples over Valentine's day/President's day weekend. We really enjoyed our stay here. Although the room wasn't cheap, the inn had a very homey, welcoming feel and we felt we got our money's worth. Breakfasts in the morning were excellent - there were 3-4 dishes to choose from each morning, with cereal, bread, muffins, etc. on the sideboard. They also had afternoon tea/snacks with homemade desserts and great tea. The room was clean and comfortable, and the owners will make restaurant reservations for you, and lend you one of tons of cds or games. We will hopefully be back!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)