“Happy this is so nice!!”

Residence Inn by Marriott Yonkers Westchester County
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Yonkers
Albany, NY
“Happy this is so nice!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I have the occasion to travel on business to the adjacent business park, so am thrilled there is such a nice place to stay so close. I recently stayed through 3 consecutive weeks, traveling home on the weekends, so got a good taste of the check-in, check-out process, as well as tons of exposure to this hotel and its' attributes.

The check-in process is painless. I am in the Marriott Rewards program, so they already have tons of information about my room preferences. I have never spent more than a minute or two at the front desk before heading on my way up to my room.

The rooms are very nice--identical, down to the artwork, I've found, in the three different rooms I've stayed in there so far--but that's a benefit. They are nicely appointed, with a king bed, pull out bed in the sofa (very uncomfortable sofa to sit on), reclining chair, good-sized, flat screen TV, generous closet and drawer space, and nicely appointed kitchenette, with full sized fridge, stovetop, microwave, and an adequate selection of pots/pans/bowls/dishes/silverware/etc. They supply coffee and microwave popcorn as well, which is nice. There is a desk area as well.

I have a little trouble with the internet...wireless sometimes took some finessing to connect (you have to agree to terms, etc, on a page, and sometimes the signal would be lost before that process was complete), but other than that, once up and running, the connection was strong and reliable.

The hotel offers breakfast every morning, and dinner most weeknights, I think. This dinner is catered by the wonderful gentleman who runs the excellent Take Away Cafe, a little lunch place in the building I work in, so has historically been of delicious quality. There's even a cookout one night a week. The breakfast is standard for Residence Inns--make your own waffles, eggs, breakfast burritos, yogurt, cereals, etc...but between these two meal benefits, you can save tons of $$ by not having to go out to eat. There are some close eating options within walking distance if you miss the weeknight meal--an Applebee's across the street, and a short walk to a fantastic Italian restaurant (Giulia's?) a bit beyond that, a Dunkin' Donuts in the same plaza as the Italian place--other than that, you might have to get delivery or have the hotel van drop you off and pick you up from nearby places if you don't have a car.

Other than that, there's a nice pool and work out room, a basketball hoop and a little putting green outside, so you can amuse yourself. The hotel is pet friendly, so one week I brought my dogs. The only deficit to this was that I had to clean my own room! There is a nice area on the hotel grounds to walk the dogs, and the ability to leave the grounds and walk into neighborhoods, but the sidewalks are spotty in places, you have to keep crossing the street to stay on them. Beautiful, interesting places to walk, though, and not far from the Hudson River, which was fun to see.

All in all, I'm happy there is such a nice place so close to where I work--makes work travel much more tolerable!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dawn3g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 13 May 2012

So, first time to New York City, so four of us, my wife and two children stay in Yonkers to save some money. When we initially called for reservations we clearly stated we have two children, so we needed two beds and a pull-out, to which they said they had availabilities. So we come here, check in and find out they don't have these sorts of rooms, they have kings with a pull out. Okay, we can deal with their bait-and-switch, my younger son can pull something else up. But wait, when we ask for additional sheets and a blanket for him, they hand us one sheet and a blanket the first night, the second night they refused the sheet and only gave a blanket. Not good so far, but wait, there's more...

So my wife and I are sleeping, er rather, trying to sleep, in a king size bed with a gulch of about six inches, so no matter if you slept on your stomach (God forbid), or your back, or your side, in the morning you were looking at a lot of back pain. But wait, there's more...

The air-conditioner, it has two settings, But-Captain-Shes-Breaking-Up mode (but still barely keeps the room cool), and off. I go to the thermostat, it is permanently set at 71 Fahrenheit, can't go cooler. Who sleeps at those sorts of temperatures. So I go to open the window, it opens four inches. What do I hear, you ask? Remember those warp-engines I spoke of, you hear all of them, each room has its very own Scotty trying desperately to lift this Residence Inn out of the ground.

So we go to breakfast. Sigh. If you are like me, you like eggs, fresh ones, and I mean FRESH. I can buy them in Massachusetts, and they taste great. These at this hotel, well, a runny mix of real (I'm being really generous here with the word "real"), and fake eggs is appalling. And if they claim these are real, how old are they, two, three, four weeks old? Sausage patties that have a grey filmy ooze, and green bananas (no, not half green, I mean, "GREEN"). If you're adventuresome, Fruit Loops. So basically you have your high-carb foods (lending themselves to the "turn me into yet another obese American"), you have your greasy foods (great for the plumbing), you have the sugar-industry sponsored foods (forbidden in our house, but great for creating hyper active kids and diabetes), and fruit juice (this was good). Grabbed the GREEN bananas, some fruit-cup from a can (ick), a yogurt, and some fruit juice.

The room was clean, no bed bugs, that's a plus. Must be all the antiseptic I smelled in the hall-way. The bathroom, too small to step around each other, and being with kids, it being the only private place to have a private time with your spouse, the shower and bathroom was very cramped.

The front desk recommended a local Italian restaurant. Why is it that folks at front desks recommend restaurants that either they don't try for themselves, or quite frankly are sub-par. Dreaming back to a prior vacation... when we were in Kennebunk Port Maine at a bed and breakfast the owners always steered us clear of the lousy restaurants and pointed us to the best ones. Why don't more folks like these run more hotels? Bad recommendations don't go far. As it stands, it was left to us and we found ONE good restaurant North by about 8 miles, a Japanese Sushi restaurant. The folks there were great, and the food was great. Again, we had to find that one.

Sigh, the accomodations made the trip less than a positive one for me. Send me to Maine any day, the Big Apple, eh ~

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Portland ME
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This hotel is very pleasant. Staff is accommodating; breakfast is very good. Rooms are modern, well-kept and well-supplied - even with microwave popcorn! The only place nearby to eat lunch or dinner is an Applebee's across the street. A very good, reasonably priced choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My son and I stayed here for an overnight when visiting Manhattan College in the Bronx. Everything was great. Well maintained property, friendly staff, comfortable room and enjoyable breakfast. We would recommend. Also very convenient to the College. Just about 15 minutes maybe down the Saw Mill Parkway to the Henry Hudson.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Nice hotel. Decent breakfast. Not good location. Nothing much around area. Not a good place to stay without a car. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2012
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We had two rooms for one night for a quick trip to Empire Casino, after visiting in NYC. Clean, large studio suites, great staff. Breakfast was a plus. Would stay here again, if we ever went back :)

Room Tip: There is really nothing to see from the area, in the middle of business ctr. Applebees across the st...