“Disappointing Service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Empire Terrace
Ranked #198 of 319 Restaurants in Yonkers
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: The newly renovated restaurant overlooking Yonkers Raceway.
Rhode Island
“Disappointing Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

Visited Yonkers raceway last night and dined in the Empre Terrace Room. Knew we were in trouble when hostess could not find our reservation.The place was practically empty and so reservation was not something we really needed. Waitress who was very friendly came by and said she'd be back. Eventually after a long time she did return and took our drink orders. She brought me a Manhattan that I think was prepared in a thimble. When I questioned it she had some story about the size of the container it was mixed in. The next one was of an appropriate size. My associate ordered diet coke so not too hard to get correct. We were given one glass of water for the entire evening and no bread while those around us were given both. I would have thought giving the hostess $20 would have prompted her to make sure we were well taken care of, guess not. My NY Strip was pretty good and cooked perfectly and I guess for $41.00 it should have been, my friend's steak was "just OK". The Cearsar salad was $9.25 and over priced with soggy croutons. We did have a nice window table to watch the races, so that was good. We were seated before the hostess was tipped. Not sure I'd return.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank fastnfirm

New York City, New York
“Unexpectedly surprising...surprisingly different!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

- make a reservation on Saturday! We didn't have one & were asked to wait until the reservations on line were seated before we could sit.
- the dining room is massive. For those local, you can see it from I-87. If you're looking for a romantic table for Valentine's Day, this isn't it. But if you're looking to enjoy yourself while eating a good meal with a delightful staff, this is your place.
- hostess was lovely, pointed us towards the restrooms, betting windows, finish line & told us our server's name. Busser was right on with bread & water. Waitress (Amanda) was professional but chatted with us just enough without hovering.
- crabcake was chilly inside & had to be reheated. House salad was good but looked as if it had been wrapped before serving (need a fluffer??) My ribeye was brilliant. Her 1/2 chicken was good. But get the sauce on the side - neither of us cared for it. A manager checked on us in the middle of dinner. When I say this room is huge, it's an understatement. This guy was everywhere.
- racing started at 7pm so we missed the first few races. Every 15 minutes or so 500 people who were just sipping wine & talking about their jobs are yelling at horses & jockeys & jumping out of their chairs before either moaning about their loss or running to the betting window to collect winnings. We thought it was a riot & bet a few times. I know nothing about horse racing but we won $78 by the night's end which almost covered our entire dinner bill!
- definitely worth the trip. We'll be back!

• 4 of 5 bubbles