“Skip this restaurant!”

Empire Terrace
Ranked #194 of 327 Restaurants in Yonkers
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The newly renovated restaurant overlooking Yonkers Raceway.
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband & I along with another 2 couples had dinner at this restaurant last Saturday evening. We arrived at 7 PM and the restaurant was more than half empty. We ordered our meals and it took a good hour and a half before we received our food. The waitress could care less. We all ordered a cesar salad with chicken. All six salads arrived (after and hour and a half,) without the chicken. After trying to find the waitress to let her know about the missing chicken, she seemed annoyed. Finally we had the entire meal in front of us. The croutons were soggy & tasteless and the salad dressing was terrible, very fishy tasting. The service in this restaurant is terrible, the food is terrible (including the onion soup,) and there is absolutely no atmosphere. We would never go back.

There are newer reviews for Empire Terrace

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I tried to go on a Saturday night at around 7:30 and the place was absolutely packed but this weekend I went early on Friday evening and the whole experience was lovely. Easy to park. The restaurant is good. The entrees come with a starch and vegetable but no salad.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

My wife and I visited Empire City Casino last week and had dinner at the Empire Terrace restaurant. We made reservations and were seated right by the window and had a great view of the races. We ordered the $15 lump crabcake to share. It was a single crabcake but we found it lacking of any lump crabmeat. The cole slaw served with it was also on the warm side. My wife had the prime rib and I had the 10 oz filet mignon. Both were cooked as ordered, and service was above normal, however, the atmosphere presented at Empire Terrace does not warrant prices normally exhibited by 5 star (and/or Zagat rated) restaurants. Perhaps the prices reflect the fact that you get a view of the racetrack, but if you are not betting on the races and there to enjoy dinner before hitting the casino, then make sure you're not near your limit on your credit card.

1  Thank KL0956
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Visited Yonkers raceway last night and dined in the Empre Terrace Room. Knew we were in trouble when hostess could not find our reservation.The place was practically empty and so reservation was not something we really needed. Waitress who was very friendly came by and said she'd be back. Eventually after a long time she did return and took our drink orders. She brought me a Manhattan that I think was prepared in a thimble. When I questioned it she had some story about the size of the container it was mixed in. The next one was of an appropriate size. My associate ordered diet coke so not too hard to get correct. We were given one glass of water for the entire evening and no bread while those around us were given both. I would have thought giving the hostess $20 would have prompted her to make sure we were well taken care of, guess not. My NY Strip was pretty good and cooked perfectly and I guess for $41.00 it should have been, my friend's steak was "just OK". The Cearsar salad was $9.25 and over priced with soggy croutons. We did have a nice window table to watch the races, so that was good. We were seated before the hostess was tipped. Not sure I'd return.

2  Thank fastnfirm
Reviewed 22 November 2010

- make a reservation on Saturday! We didn't have one & were asked to wait until the reservations on line were seated before we could sit.
- the dining room is massive. For those local, you can see it from I-87. If you're looking for a romantic table for Valentine's Day, this isn't it. But if you're looking to enjoy yourself while eating a good meal with a delightful staff, this is your place.
- hostess was lovely, pointed us towards the restrooms, betting windows, finish line & told us our server's name. Busser was right on with bread & water. Waitress (Amanda) was professional but chatted with us just enough without hovering.
- crabcake was chilly inside & had to be reheated. House salad was good but looked as if it had been wrapped before serving (need a fluffer??) My ribeye was brilliant. Her 1/2 chicken was good. But get the sauce on the side - neither of us cared for it. A manager checked on us in the middle of dinner. When I say this room is huge, it's an understatement. This guy was everywhere.
- racing started at 7pm so we missed the first few races. Every 15 minutes or so 500 people who were just sipping wine & talking about their jobs are yelling at horses & jockeys & jumping out of their chairs before either moaning about their loss or running to the betting window to collect winnings. We thought it was a riot & bet a few times. I know nothing about horse racing but we won $78 by the night's end which almost covered our entire dinner bill!
- definitely worth the trip. We'll be back!

3  Thank redmeatandwhisky