“Ok family vacation”

Bald Head Island Limited
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

We rented a house that was greatly stocked with everything we could need. We stayed in April for spring break and everyone was saying how unusually cold it was. Many things that would have kept us busy and entertained were closed and didn't open until May. Didn't do as much as we would have otherwise but made the best of it. Toward the end of the trip we did find a few roaches in the house despite how clean we were keeping it. Maybe because it was so rainy the day before?? Being a northern family...it was a little creepy. We had a hard time finding a place to drop a crab pot so the kids could try crabbing despite what the websites say. The island is very natural and peaceful. 50/50 on getting to see "southern hospitality". Overall, after brainstorming for creative things to keep the kids busy, was ok. If we ever come back, it will be later in the season when weather is better and we can be more active.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank 3rsmom

Reviewed 18 June 2012

my husband & I just got back from Bald Head. This was our second trip there. We love it. The place is beautiful and unspoiled. If you are looking for all the commercialism of Myrtle Beach, don't come to Bald Head. There are things to do but it involves getting out and doing it. WE had so much fun bicycling, riding around in the golf cart, looking at the turtles, alligators, rare birds, etc. There is limited dining, but they have a wonderful market with a huge selection of great food and so you won't mind doing a little cooking. They have the Pelicatessen which has great food. There are a couple of other dining options. There are a couple of places to get ice cream. The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded. We love it and can't wait to go back. There is alot of history there also and it's very interesting. We hear there's good fishing but we haven't fished yet.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sukiedorsey
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Bald head island is a family friendly remote island off the coast of Wilmington NC. It is only a short ferry ride from Southport NC. You cruise around on golf carts or bikes or walk. Taking traffic out of the picture allows everyone to relax and get on what they call turtle time. It is a sea turtle sanctuary. And you might see a sea turtle nest or a boil (hatching) if you come in the summer.
Yes, the previouls review is correct there is not much to do besides the beach, pool and country club. If you are looking for a party don't come here, but if you are looking for peace and quiet it is perfect.
The service does seem to be on turtle time too. But I've had that happen on just about every island I have been on from Hawaii to the caribbean. So relax and chill out.

Room Tip: Mostly VRBO private rentals. Several different areas to chose from. We like East Beach.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank irishwanderlust
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My husband & I stayed in the royal James landing community, about 3 mins from the east beach; the house was inviting & comfortable. They had it all- cooking supplies, flash lights, games, tons of linens, towels, ironing board, blow dryers, etc...

Loved our stay, loved the house, rode bikes, walked the beaches, explored light house, and hiked around the woods too. Can't wait to return to bald head island!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank aathans
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Second visit to Bald Head Island to play golf for the day (9/16/11). The golf course is a nice layout and was in very good condition. The island is isolated, and there's not much to do except golf, swim or walk/cart around. Very limited dining options. I agree with other reviews stating the staff is absolutely usless. They literally go out of their way to be no help at all. Some are downright rude. Better to eat in Southport where the ferry docks. No Southern Hospitality on Bald Head Island.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
14  Thank Shivas_8
Reviewed 15 August 2011

There was absolutely NO customer service, interest in avcomidating or even assisting my family on the island with accommodations at all, in anyway. It was as if no one cared at all. I do not know how any single person employed on the island has s job.

• Stayed: August 2011
14  Thank Turtlefriend
Reviewed 26 June 2011

RENTAL:
We stayed in Villa #47 booked through Bald Head Island limited. We found our villas to perfectly fit our needs int erms of location and accomodations. We were on the island for a wedding. We enjoyed swimming at the Shoals pool and the BHI club pool and tooling around the island in a golf cart.

BHI limited is the main rental compant though there are about three others and VRBO. The nice thing about BHI limited is the arrial dpearture process was pretty effecitent, as they have areal estate office in the Deep Point Marina. The weakness of BHI limited is they don't always answer the phones, and I really had a lot of questions, being a first time visitor.

TRANSPORTATION:
When you book your rental you get a ferry time (which is really a tram reservation for transport on the island) and you get a departure time. -We were on the 3pm Ferry from deep point marina, checked in/dropped luggage at 2pm and picked up keys at the real estate office.

For departure we were on the 11am ferry. We put our luggage curbside at 10 am and the driver knocked on our door at 1030 to take us to the Ferry. I mention these details, because I was so confused how this was going to work. We parked in Deep Point Marina lot and paid $10/day.

FOOD:

Shoals club, my husband said his burger was just a frozen patty and okay, I had a lava flow which was pretty good for a poolside drink

Pelicatessen: drip coffee only, fine, limited pastry selection

Maritime Market Cafe: Our favourite food on the island hands down. It is attached to the grocery store. We had ymmy morning coffee with fresh banana bread. For lunch I loved their grilled chicken sandwhich with homemade potato chips or fruit cup. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and a girlfriend had the chicken wrap. Both were really good. I don't know if you'll find better food on the island.

Bald Head Island Club: We had dinner in the main dining, room, I forget what it's called. I had the wedge salad, shrimp cocktail and prime rib. All were really good. However the other three people in my party all had issues with their entrees. First one had medium well steak instead of medium rare but the comped her dinner and gave her a glass of wine. The second ordered Salmo but was given Mahi Mahi, she decided to not say anyting. We shared teh brownie sundae which was pretty good but how could that be messed up.

We also had dinner for the wedding at the BHI club and I thought the appetizers and entree (I had the filet mignon) were really good. The staff was really warm and we had a lot of interaction with them, because it was a small wedding.

BHI poolside: $1.50 beers....need I say more.

AIRPORT:
we were suppose to fly into Wilmington but our flight was canceled and Delta couln't confirm a flight for us until 2 days later so we drove from Atlanta--yikes. Other airporst would be Myrtle Beach, Fayetville or Raleigh Durham. Any way you slice it, getting to Bald Head Island is tough if you're not in driving distance.

SPA:
We got pedicures at the spa next to the Maritime market. The front desk staff was lovely, but the cost of $55 and the grumpiness of our nail lady (Ann Arroyo) would prevent me from returning.

We had a great time, and it was a beautiful place to be married. The lack of cars added to the charm. The hassle and expense of travel, make it unlikely we will return, but if I lived in a driveable distance, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
6 mi away
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 5 in Southport

Been to Bald Head Island Limited? Share your experiences!